• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bellhousing runout question

Thanks for being patient and nice about it.
It's no problem - this is a forum where things come up that are off topic, but that's what community is all about! I'd love to go with EFI eventually, but I'm in "get it on the road" mode and had already purchased and installed a new gas tank. Maybe next year.

I received a response from RobbMc and they also suggested using green locktite. I picked some up the other day and will be able to start on assembling the clutch. I'm quickly regretting going with OEM shift linkage, since I was planning to run headers and I've heard horror stories, but I'll make it work. A hydraulic clutch isn't in the budget (any more). I'll hopefully have some progress pictures tonight.

Green locktite - I thought I knew most of the colors - purple, blue, red, orange but green was a new one on me and had to look it up.

Good luck.

I guess I should be clear 640 green locktite is for cylindrical bonding, I guess there are other greens.

green was a new one on me and had to look it up.
X2
"Liquid sleeve retainer, or bearing mount, strengthens the fit between non-threaded, smooth, cylindrical assemblies that rely on tight clearances and friction to maintain the connection. Designed for high-temperature and close-fit applications.
Features:

• Creates a tighter fit and prevents slippage when applied to non-threaded, smooth assemblies
  • Withstands higher temperatures than other bearing mounts - up to 400 F
  • Designed for tight clearances
  • Prevents treated parts from corroding
  • Requires heat and, for the tightest fits, a press or puller to disassemble
  • Made in the USA"

Now that I have the clutch installed, I'm cleaning up the transmission, going to paint it cast iron grey, and promptly broke one of the tabs on the reverse switch. Yet another trip to the parts store.

Since I'm using a bearing instead of a bushing, should I put any grease on the end of the input shaft, or any grease in addition to the grease already packed into the bearing? Dodge assembly manual says to keep the input shaft dry, but it predates the use of a bearing. I know to keep the grease, if any, to a minimum, to keep it from getting on the splines or the clutch. Or keep the input shaft dry and just rely on the pre-packed bearing grease?

Auto Transport Service
Back