• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bergman No Cut Adapter vs Borgeson Adapter

JR_Charger

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score

@2:10 this guy (98Saleen) claims the Borgeson coupler has a more solid feel than the Bergman coupler. Does anyone want to comment on that? From the picture of the Bergman coupler on their website, I can't why the steering would be "loose." It looks like, if anything, the Borgeson adapter with the angle drive joint would be more loose - although I would expect they're both perfectly fine. After seeing how much trouble 98Saleen had drilling the holes for the Borgeson coupler, I would like to avoid that unless the Borgeson coupler really does drive better than the Bergman.

Hmm. Maybe he didn't put new wear parts in the coupler beforehand.

That has to be the worst how to video I have ever skipped through.
What a moron. Yes I have done this upgrade, not hard at all.
I think this idiot likes seeing his face on camera more than anything.

Hmm. Maybe he didn't put new wear parts in the coupler beforehand.
Or, maybe he put them in 90 degrees out of position.... I've seen that on a few restorations that had sloppy steering....

He must have heard something bad about the Bergman coupler on the internet. I don't get the impression he has personal experience with it.

The Bergman setup comes with a coupler rebuild kit. New shoes, spring, pin and retainer. There is no excuse for having sloppy steering.
I vote for the hybrid coupler. I used that on my installation. It fits as if it were stock and makes everything reversible should I hit my head and decide to return to a loose factory steering box.

My Bergman hybrid coupler came with the coupler rebuild kit. Unfortunately, the provided shoes wouldn't fit inside the coupler without some grinding to fit, nor would they go onto the existing pin in the shaft. I re-used my old pin and shoes which appeared to be like-new and tight-fitting in the hybrid coupler. I'm pleased with the installation overall.

That - could be better.

How does the Bergman coupler manage without the Borgeson coupler's U-joint? From the pictures I've seen, the input shaft from the Borgeson steering box doesn't line up directly with the column. Bit of an oversight, that.

That - could be better.

How does the Bergman coupler manage without the Borgeson coupler's U-joint? From the pictures I've seen, the input shaft from the Borgeson steering box doesn't line up directly with the column. Bit of an oversight, that.
The Mopar coupler (Which is part of the Bergman adapter) is fully capable of compensating for the angularity caused by using the Borgeson box..

I used the Bergman coupler and it is fine, zero slop. I did have to ease a couple of the parts as they were tight - but it was just a light sanding thing. It took me about 3/4 of an hour to get the new parts to fit real nice.
I was glad it was a little to tight as I could fit it closer. Better that than being sloppy from the start.
The Borgeson unit does work at a slightly larger angle to the steering column - but I agree with 1 Wild R/T the Bergman unit handles this no problem.

I also used the Bergman coupler, with zero issues, once I got the seal and top cover installed.

The Mopar coupler (Which is part of the Bergman adapter) is fully capable of compensating for the angularity caused by using the Borgeson box..
Ok, the Bergman no cut coupler means I don't have to cut the steering column shaft, but it says to "collapse" the column three inches. I don't see how that is a safe option. Better to cut the steering shaft, and use the Bergman u joint coupler? I am converting from manual to power steering. I'm trying to see which steering coupler is better.

I did this swap on my 68 Charger back in 2015. I bought the Borgeson gear along with the Bergman coupler. No cutting the steering shaft unless you have a manual steering column. The Borgeson box is smaller and about an inch shorter than the factory PS gearbox. The Bergman coupler is fabricated like the original coupler but it is an inch longer and works out perfectly. My Borgeson box didn't line up with my steering column so I added a 1/4" spacer to the 3rd bolt to tip the gearbox in towards the engine putting it in line. I'm not certain but I think the newer version fine tuned the welded ear to fix that issue.Here are a couple pics. One showing the spacer I used to put things in line. The other shows the Bergman coupler installed on the gear. Easy Peasy swap and money well spent.

Inkedshim.jpg

100_7357.JPG

I did this swap on my 68 Charger back in 2015. I bought the Borgeson gear along with the Bergman coupler. No cutting the steering shaft unless you have a manual steering column. The Borgeson box is smaller and about an inch shorter than the factory PS gearbox. The Bergman coupler is fabricated like the original coupler but it is an inch longer and works out perfectly. My Borgeson box didn't line up with my steering column so I added a 1/4" spacer to the 3rd bolt to tip the gearbox in towards the engine putting it in line. I'm not certain but I think the newer version fine tuned the welded ear to fix that issue.Here are a couple pics. One showing the spacer I used to put things in line. The other shows the Bergman coupler installed on the gear. Easy Peasy swap and money well spent.

View attachment 1527078

View attachment 1527079
Thanks for the reply. Cutting the shaft won't be a problem.

Ok, the Bergman no cut coupler means I don't have to cut the steering column shaft, but it says to "collapse" the column three inches. I don't see how that is a safe option. Better to cut the steering shaft, and use the Bergman u joint coupler? I am converting from manual to power steering. I'm trying to see which steering coupler is better.
The columns collapse about 12 inches if not more. If you have ever disassembled one look at how they're designed, that isn't an issue. It will still collapse plenty.
Besides, if you crash it that hard why would you still want to be alive to see your crushed car? Not the most high tech safety feature by far. We have other more fatal issues to worry about with these cars.
Death by steering column shaft isn't a bad way to go.

Its perfectly safe. All the shafts are the same. The factory set the length depending on power or manual.

Auto Transport Service
Back