• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Carb for 340LA 72 Bird

I’m with RJRENTON & Geoff 2 100% on this.

Also, the larger primary TQ was later used on the 340 & up engine sizes. At first, the smaller primary TQ was used. The difference in a 440 vs a 340/360 TQ is only jet sizing.

Jets and rods can be sourced at the carb shop. Step up springs are not available. OE TQ carbs are built with a cam on the throttle shaft to override the step up spring in some cases where it’s a must to do so. This cam is not found on the race version.

No one makes an aluminum center section. There was a place, the name escapes me at the moment, that did make replacement TQ fuel bowls. I’m not sure there still doing it.

Do so use the OE type thick gasket for any Carter carb since heat can warp the TQ’s mid section and on the other carbs, keep the fuel from boiling. This is good practice on any aluminum carb.

thank you all. I will find a 6000 series 800-850 and rebuild it if needed. if there is anything else to point out feel free to say anything thanks again. youve been nicer to me than other forums ive been on for my other cars.

IDK why anyone would be a jerk when your looking for help and you were pretty straightforward on the question.

Find the TQ with the 1-1/2 (1.50) primaries. The less vacuum ports on the front the better.

Auto Transport Service
Back