• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best place to get a rebuild kit for a 440?

joshb1983

Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
im rebuilding a 1974 440..iv already redone the heads,and its time to start on the bottom end..the engine was seized and they broke a piston during tear down,one of the cylinder walls was scared up so there gonna bore it also, prob 20-30 over..i need new pistons and a cam, plus all the gaskets so i fig a rebuild kit is the best way to go..at summit.com they have them ranging from 700-800 bucks. they come with speed pro pistons and clevit bearings, has anyone here ever bought or know which is the best set to use or best place to get?...this is my first time buying all this kinda stuff and not sure were the best places are to go and what parts have the best quality..any help is appreciated thanks. Here are the ones from summit racing.com in link below
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...type/engine-rebuild-kits?keyword=chrysler 440

JMHO, I have never and will never buy a rebuild kit. I like to pick and choose which brand parts I use. It's a little more costly, but not much. That way, you can be assured you will have good quality. A lot of times you see brand names advertised to be in the kit and you receive something of lesser quality that that same company makes. I've just never bought engine stuff in kit form. I think you'll have better results if you don't, because you'll be incharge of your parts brand choices, not someone else. As I said, it's just my opinion.

Auto Transport Service
Back