• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Radiator Company?

dodge68charger

Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
Looking To Buy a Radiator For My 1969 Road Runner. The Car Is Far From Stock With a Big Block Around 800 HP

Whats The Best Company to
Go With For a Quality Product?

Not To Worried About The Cost. Rather Pay And Get Something Good.

Gonna Run an Electric Fan

Griffin.. Never owned one myself but I have a few friends with high HP cars that have ponied up & have no overheating & no complaints...

Griffin If you don’t mind the Aluminum look, which could be painted. I would just stick with stock and go with a Glen Ray 3 core.

Nothing beats the looks of Mopar radiators.

Decide if you want Aluminum or Copper. Aluminum can perform as well and is lighter, but cannot be as easily repaired as a copper rad.

If you go aluminum, Griffin is the way to go. I'm running a 26" Exact Fit aluminum rad and zero complaints. Check out their Exact Fit line with the top and bottom stamped to look stock. I painted mine black. I've talked to several others who started with a BeCool aluminum and had issues, switched to Griffin and problems solved.

If you decide on a copper core rad, I've researched this a ton and I give the thumbs up for US Radiators (they also offer aluminum rads). I've never used one of their products, but have read a ton of positive reviews.

Either way you go, remember it's not the # of rows, but rather the tube size. My Griffin has 2 rows, but the tube diameter is so big, the total exposed surface area is greater than a basic 3 or 4 row of other brands (depending on given tube diameter). US radiator follows the same approach as Griffin in larger tube size when possible, although sometimes will use 3 rows which is more common for copper core rads.

Stock appearance, and performance, Glen-ray Radiators, Inc. None Better. Call Bob Schirmer, He'll set you up.

1226191356.jpg

I would had gone Glen-Ray if my car was numbers matching, and needed OE.
I went with Griffin

Added an Aluminum water pump housing from Mancini, and a FlowKooler water pump from Summit(free shipping and price matched)

Thermostat I found a NOS Stant 370-180, but FlowKooler sells them Robertshaw 370 Series hi flow thermostat
Fan is the OE 2863216 18.5" 68-73 Fan with a Hayden 2947
Most important thing to add is Evans waterless coolant. I have a 20% off discount code. Evans Waterless Coolant, Prevent Engine Overheating

Also add a Mustang 6 cylinder spring in the lower hose

I would had gone Glen-Ray if my car was numbers matching, and needed OE.
I went with Griffin
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Added an Aluminum water pump housing from Mancini, and a FlowKooler water pump from Summit(free shipping and price matched)

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Thermostat I found a NOS Stant 370-180, but FlowKooler sells them Robertshaw 370 Series hi flow thermostat
Fan is the OE 2863216 18.5" 68-73 Fan with a Hayden 2947
Most important thing to add is Evans waterless coolant. I have a 20% off discount code. Evans Waterless Coolant, Prevent Engine Overheating

Also add a Mustang 6 cylinder spring in the lower hose
Wow, you are running almost my exact same setup except I'm running an OE fixed fan with shroud, a radiator corrosion protection anode that threads into the lower stop cock female threads since we're mixing aluminum radiator with iron block, and I don't run any water additive. I looked into the water wetter type additives years ago and am not convinced it's a good idea for an aluminum rad. How long have you run this setup?

Wow, you are running almost my exact same setup except I'm running an OE fixed fan with shroud, a radiator corrosion protection anode that threads into the lower stop cock female threads since we're mixing aluminum radiator with iron block, and I don't run any water additive. I looked into the water wetter type additives years ago and am not convinced it's a good idea for an aluminum rad. How long have you run this setup?
OE shroud as well

OE shroud as well
Nice. Adding the cheap sacrificial anode also would be good long term insurance.
I've been running my setup for around 3000 miles. How about you? I'm curious on long term effects of running the water wetter with the aluminum. Not saying there's for sure any issue, but am curious.

Nice. Adding the cheap sacrificial anode also would be good long term insurance.
I've been running my setup for around 3000 miles. How about you? I'm curious on long term effects of running the water wetter with the aluminum. Not saying there's for sure any issue, but am curious.
I am not using water wetter. I am using Evans Waterless, Griffin also sells it on their site. They said some coolants can turn the color of the inside the radiator.

If you have tig welding available, you save a $$$$$$ on the purchase of a radiator.
Maybe I'm lucky, A $200 Afco Radiator and a Spal 16 inch pusher fan it keeps my 545 hemi at *185-195.

287085154_10160049250868270_5663051779747867264_n.jpg

thumbnail (12).jpg

Stock appearance, and performance, Glen-ray Radiators, Inc. None Better. Call Bob Schirmer, He'll set you up.

View attachment 1348492
WITHOUT A DOUBT......EXCELLENT CRAFTSMANSHIP ....... I just received the replacement for my # 2998956 for my 70 GTX, RS23VOA****** Its the max cooling design....I had it date coded for additional cost, it comes with the accessories...cap, overflow hose, bolts. Pricy but to me, worth the cost. I'll use it in conjunction with the #2806070 clutch, #2863216 7 blade Hemi aluminum fan, and #2946716 water pump drive sheave.
Check out the Glen-RAY site.....very interesting.....great people to deal with.... Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Just an FYI for everyone, Glen-Ray also does non numbered radiators for less cost but the same high-quality components and cooling capabilities!

I have a 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury with a 426 Max wedge. I read an article in one of the car magazines for a guy that had the same thing as i d except his Max wedge is the 13:1 compression. I ordered the complete Griffin radiator with shroud and dual electric fans. Drove it this summer in 95 degree weather and it never goes above 165 which is what my thermostat is. Even when I let is idle

I am not using water wetter. I am using Evans Waterless, Griffin also sells it on their site. They said some coolants can turn the color of the inside the radiator.
I would recommend being careful about adding any coolant additive.. I have seen certain times the additive has some chemicals that interact within the block/head passages loosening up some junk clogging things up. Then U have to pull the radiator, and do a total system flush out..

Just my $0.02...

I would recommend being careful about adding any coolant additive.. I have seen certain times the additive has some chemicals that interact within the block/head passages loosening up some junk clogging things up. Then U have to pull the radiator, and do a total system flush out..

Just my $0.02...
that's what I thought as well, but the Evans waterless is a type of coolant not a coolant additive. He clarified that previously.

Auto Transport Service
Back