• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best sensible upgrade(s)for 1968 8.25 open rear?

Like anything it's all in what you do with it.
I could give a Dana 60 to my Brother-in-law and he would break it.
We would say you can give him a rubber hammer with a bowling ball and he could break it !
The bowling ball that is.

I only run street radials, but the Dana rears in my Charger and Cuda have never been opened from the factory. Both V code 4 speed. They were overly robust for the stock combos. Both cars have cams with more lift and duration.

Think I'd look at cost difference. You need gears, sure-grip and gear setup costs on the 8.25. If you got an 8.75 with what you want and it's within your budget, I'd go that way. Bet an 8.75 if its a drop in will be cheaper assuming you do install. Might need a combination u-joint with 8.75. One other the driveshaft length if that needs to be changed if you go 8.75 not familiar with 8.25's on that.

There's something to be said for builder input as well...if the whole drive line is set up nice and tight with no Crap parts...may last as long as bulletproof parts carelessly assembled or un-maintained.

FABO has a good thread on the 8 1/4. I have a 73 Duster with a big block 470 -727 and the 8 1/4. I got the gears and suregrip out of a Dakota IIRC . It has stood up to some big burnouts and been to the strip a few time. I would not trust it with slicks though so I am building a 8 3/4 with 391s.
Like anything it's all in what you do with it.
I could give a Dana 60 to my Brother-in-law and he would break it.
We would say you can give him a rubber hammer with a bowling ball and he could break it !
The bowling ball that is.
Brand new hi-zoot bowling ball, maybe six games with it.

20211124_071845.jpg

Continuing down the rabbit hole :)

What experience can you share with upgrading the open 2.76? limited slip units and gear vendor recommendations - as well as work pitfalls - all are appreciated!
I would go to Dr Diff for parts.
How much power is the engine and did you upgrade it?
There is nothing wrong with the 8-1/4 if your stock or just minor mods off of stock. I would use it for a cruiser and zero racing. You should be able to easily get upgraded axle shafts for it. The 8-3/4 is a great idea at a bit of a hefty price tag once your complete.

The 8-1/4 will be a good bit cheaper.

Auto Transport Service
Back