• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best sensible upgrade(s)for 1968 8.25 open rear?

dave's not here

Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
Continuing down the rabbit hole :)

What experience can you share with upgrading the open 2.76? limited slip units and gear vendor recommendations - as well as work pitfalls - all are appreciated!

Nothing wrong with that depending on what you want to spend and what your intentions are.

I didn’t know they put 8 1/4” rears in B bodies in ‘68. The V8’s...

Yes the turning point at Chrysler.Had to do with supply. Had a 68 Belvedere and a 70 Coronet. Both V8 cars with the 8 1/4'' rear.
The cost factor will be about the same as doing the 8 1/4''. A good usable complete 8 3/4 with a 3.23 (or what ever) with a sure grip may be a few bucks less but I'm all for using what you got.Start looking for a driveline shop in your area.

Put an 8.75 in an be done with it...

Not cheap but... I’m going with the Strange 60. That way I’ll be ahead of the curve if I up the torque. And it’ll be behind a clutch. Oh... may as well go with rear disks while I’m at it.

Some of the guys at the local shop advised me to " get a whole different " center section " and " drop it in. "
Is this the whole pumpkin setup I would find in a salvage yard if I'm lucky?

Some of the guys at the local shop advised me to " get a whole different " center section " and " drop it in. "
If you are using the 8.25 housing that would be exactly what you would be doing. A new sure grip unit and ring and pinion is a complete center section.

The 8-1/4 is not the 'drop in' center-section type...that is the 8-3/4 only.

If you can, find one (8-3/4).
They can be built to handle a good amount of power later on if needed, especially on an auto trans car. You can find them with some junkyard hunting, or in the classifieds ftom time to time.

8 3/4 housings are everywhere..... I have one out of a 68 satellite, and a 3 23 sure grip 741 case...... where are you located?

FABO has a good thread on the 8 1/4. I have a 73 Duster with a big block 470 -727 and the 8 1/4. I got the gears and suregrip out of a Dakota IIRC . It has stood up to some big burnouts and been to the strip a few time. I would not trust it with slicks though so I am building a 8 3/4 with 391s.

FABO has a good thread on the 8 1/4. I have a 73 Duster with a big block 470 -727 and the 8 1/4. I got the gears and suregrip out of a Dakota IIRC . It has stood up to some big burnouts and been to the strip a few time. I would not trust it with slicks though so I am building a 8 3/4 with 391s.
Totally agree, an 8.25 is good for a street cruiser going stoplight to stoplight. Dr Diff told me that with stock axles and sure grip that an 8.25 was good up to 500hp.

Totally agree, an 8.25 is good for a street cruiser going stoplight to stoplight. Dr Diff told me that with stock axles and sure grip that an 8.25 was good up to 500hp.

Sure ..................with F78 bias ply tires.

A buddy of mine wanted me to try out his scamp once.. after some spirited driving we pulled over due to smashing noise coming from the 8 1/4...
I broke the silence with "...uh, sorry dude..."

Auto Transport Service
Back