• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best tire

terzmo

Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
what's the best street/drag tire for a 67 R/T with a 472 stroker hemi...My 245x60x15 radial ta's are not gripping. I'd like a sticky grip for the street and occasional track run if possible with one type tire.

No such tire exists. My street Coopers fry but wear well. I get caught in rain sometimes, and can't afford a tire that give 5000 or so miles. Good luck. Thought about steel wheels and track tires. Vegas is a long way to carry them. Not enough room for mounted rims with the beer and Linda's toiletries. No tracks around here.

check out the Resto-Mod & Pro-Touring forum section there's a couple posts on the very subject

I'll assume you mean for handling purposes, not drag racing
if so then...

Michelin pilot/sports & Nitto's,
I'm sure BFG G-force,
Good Year Eagles
Even Pirelli, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Falken, Hankook, Yokohama, Toyo &
even Avon have some too

some are pricey don't last long
but if you want true grip you have to sacrifice something, to get something
give & take, risk reward, it's usually your savings

depends on sizes & styles too

compounds vary vastly

what kind of street & track use ?,
for auto-X handling road-course & street use ?
or for drag racing {mostly straight line} & street driving ? etc.

if for street use & occasional Drag racing ?
maybe one of these DOT rated then
M&H, Mickey Thompson, BFG, Good Year, Nitto, Hoosier etc.

I had some Hoosier Quicktime Pro D.O.T. bias ply slicks that hooked really good at the track. The problem is that they aren't really street legal in spite of the D.O.T. certification.

So now I am going to try some Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials Rs. These are a new version of their street legal drag radials.

et_streetr_radial.jpg

You can fit a bigger tire in the small wheel wells of the '66-'67 B Bodies using a 7" rim vs. an 8" rim. The 8" rim pushes the section width out more. But if you use a 7" rim, you are probably giving up contact patch area.

Auto Transport Service
Back