• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to clean a veteran's flag??

I have 48 star flags with gold fringes that I wash in cold water with mild soap. Then hang dry with a box fan blowing on low.
I don't have any silk flags, but my understanding is to leave cleaning silk to the pro's.

Last edited:
I have tried this twice with success. spraying a clear coat using rustoleum crystal clear spray. The flag last longer with no tears.

"Not sure I'd trust a dry cleaner...."
HEY !!! I sense that remark, I am a dry cleaner and if your local shop is serious you have nothing to worry about, but if you are not so shure there are soaps and conditioners use for " wet cleaning" try to buy those and use normal cicle in a tumbler washing machine.

Go to the (or call them I'm sure someone will talk to you)
your local VFW-Veterans of Foreign Wars
bring it to them & do a donation... they can clean it (or they used to)
or dispose of it properly if need be, if it's too tattered

certainly is protocol when it comes to old glory

or contact Allegiance Flag co. (seen on TV)
American Flag Store | 100% Made in America
100% American Made & 100% American sourced materials
The VFW would probably be a good idea.....and it's not tattered. It free hangs in my shop and the edging along where the eyelets are is where the soil is from rubbing against it when walking by. Always try not to rub it when walking by but most others do not.
I have tried this twice with success. spraying a clear coat using rustoleum crystal clear spray. The flag last longer with no tears.
Oh I remember the Krylon Crystal Clear lol. Couple of girls came over to my place thinking I would 'bag' with them. Wrong....and once they got going it was pretty much impossible to stop them unless I knocked them out and was afraid of doing that. This happened in 73. Told both of them to never bring that crap over to my place again and they didn't. But that's the first I've heard of spraying a flag with it. This flag has been hanging in my shop for a lot of years now and so far, no frays or tears and wouldn't the spray make it stiff? It 'free hangs' and when the wind blows through, it waves. If it's real windy, I have to pull the doors down some so it doesn't go nuts but it's far enough away from anything that might snag it.

WARNING!! @Budnicks , that like has a redirect, initially, to "aff.kuaizihei.live", BE CAREFULL!! Close this b.s. and you will get proper site. M@$%F'R HACKERS!!
I removed it

I didn't get anything come up like that just the normal site
I even scanned my computer to make sure

not sure what happened, but better to be safe than sorry

How about..........

1692233337170.png

Auto Transport Service
Back