• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to clean a veteran's flag??

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Would a gentle cycle in the washer be ok? Have one that I got from an estate sale and thought how sad that the relatives of the vet didn't want it....so, took it in and hung it in my shop. After 15+ years, it needs cleaning. It's not bad but still. Want it to be cleaner.

Would a gentle cycle in the washer be ok? Have one that I got from an estate sale and thought how sad that the relatives of the vet didn't want it....so, took it in and hung it in my shop. After 15+ years, it needs cleaning. It's not bad but still. Want it to be cleaner.
I thought that many local cleaners did this for free? I would certainly pay for this service.

I would take it to a professional cleaner where they have methods to clean it without tumbling it around an agitator. If at all fragile, then definitely so!

Get with one of your local Boy Scouts, they are up to speed on taking care of a flag......and you might be able to help a kid earn a merit badge while you're at it.

Cranky I would not use the washer if you do it yourself. Mabey hand wash, soak in the tub and air dry, then iron.
Or like 68 gtx suggested mabey a dry cleaners.

How To Properly Clean the American Flag

flag1.jpg

I thought that many local cleaners did this for free? I would certainly pay for this service.
I'll have to check that out! Thanks
I would take it to a professional cleaner where they have methods to clean it without tumbling it around an agitator. If at all fragile, then definitely so!
Pro cleaner like a dry cleaner? It doesn't seem to be fragile and spot cleaning helped but not 100%
Get with one of your local Boy Scouts, they are up to speed on taking care of a flag......and you might be able to help a kid earn a merit badge while you're at it.
I will contact them! Thanks!
Cranky I would not use the washer if you do it yourself. Mabey hand wash, soak in the tub and air dry, then iron.
Or like 68 gtx suggested mabey a dry cleaners.
Not sure I'd trust a dry cleaner......

What material is it, do you know?

According to my mom, more than once (two different cities) has a dry cleaner machine washed cotton drapes and they shrank some. So, using a dry cleaner is no promise it won't be machine washed unless you trust them and they promise not to.

If one has an heirloom/civil war-era flag, I recommend doing nothing. Don't wash it all.

If one has a vintage cotton flag:

I would hand wash it using Woolite. If there are stains, pre-treat with 50/50 woolite/water using a tooth brush and allow to soak for a day or two without it drying out. I don't recommend using any kind of bleach or fabric brightener. Don't wring it, as it may add wrinkles or tear. Roll it up in one or more dry beach towels to remove excess water. After it's washed, dry it flat on a beach towel. Then store it in a way it won't get soiled and need not be washed for a really long time. If you hand press it flat while it's damp, you wont need to iron it. Ironing could lock in any overlooked stains.

If one has a nylon/polyester flag, machine wash all the way.

According to my mom, more than once (two different cities) has a dry cleaner machine washed cotton drapes and they shrank some. So, using a dry cleaner is no promise it won't be machine washed unless you trust them and they promise not to.

If one has an heirloom/civil war-era flag, I recommend doing nothing. Don't wash it all.

If one has a vintage cotton flag:

I would hand wash it using Woolite. If there are stains, pre-treat with 50/50 woolite/water using a tooth brush and allow to soak for a day or two without it drying out. I don't recommend using any kind of bleach or fabric brightener. Don't wring it, as it may add wrinkles or tear. Roll it up in one or more dry beach towels to remove excess water. After it's washed, dry it flat on a beach towel. Then store it in a way it won't get soiled and need not be washed for a really long time. If you hand press it flat while it's damp, you wont need to iron it. Ironing could lock in any overlooked stains.

If one has a nylon/polyester flag, machine wash all the way.
Yep, I was going to recommend Woolite also. About as gentle as you can get, washing it by hand.

Go to the (or call them I'm sure someone will talk to you)
your local VFW-Veterans of Foreign Wars
bring it to them & do a donation... they can clean it (or they used to)
or dispose of it properly if need be, if it's too tattered

certainly is protocol when it comes to old glory

or contact Allegiance Flag co. (seen on TV)
edited;
I removed the link on the warning of issues, from another member, I didn't get but someone else did

100% American Made & 100% American sourced materials

Last edited:
WARNING!! @Budnicks , that like has a redirect, initially, to "aff.kuaizihei.live", BE CAREFULL!! Close this b.s. and you will get proper site. M@$%F'R HACKERS!!

It being 100% cotton, be forewarned...the red will likely bleed onto the white with the 1st cleaning attempt.

Auto Transport Service
Back