• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to ship long trim pieces? (1/4 panel trims)

Big Bad Dad

Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
Cleaning out my stash, I have some decent driver quality B Body side trims that I would like to put up for sale. But these aluminum things for the quarter panels are about 6-1/2 feet long. What would be the best way to offer shipping? I know it would need to be a sturdy container! And would the common carriers accept a package that long? Any advice guys?

So the ones I ordered came in folded in half. The seller used a cheap cardboard tube. Classic Industries sends trim is very thick cardboard tubes. I would call one of the strip mall shipping stores a see if they have those heavy tubes then have them pack it.

I recently received door sills for a 2 door shipped in 3" pvc pipe, with end caps, via the usps.

A strong tube in a box is best. The shipping companies charge more for a round tube because it will roll off of the conveyor and they have to carry it down by hand.
I've made a box and used a couple pieces of wood screen stock for strength. Just shipped some long quarter moldings that way and they made it fine.

Guy mentioned plastic gutter down spout. Have no experience with it.

X3 for pcv pipe, always shipped high end fishing rods in them, put foam rubber at each end to protect them.

or a long box shaped like a triangle, with strong cardboard,

No need to pay for a strip mall packing store. It will already be costly to ship.

Excellent advice about putting the tube inside a box. Shipping a Round Container goes Way up.

@moparmarks what shipper did you use for this package? How long was it?

I shipped a few hundred similar items, over my years.
I wrapped each end of the part with bubble wrap, taped in place, so the part was cushioned in the center of a cardboard tube. Foam packing on each end so it doesnt slide, plastic end caps stapled and taped in place, then the cdbd tube was extensively packaging taped (the fiber reinforced stuff,) to a 3/4 pine board, so it cant roll, or bend the tube.
Lots of work, lots of supplies, but this was for a business that shipped this kind of stuff weekly, if not daily, and it had to get there.

These days a 3/4" pine board would double the shipping cost. << grin >>
Yep. And more than doubled the chance of the part getting to the destination intact. Pass the shipping charge onto the customer who wants his parts to arrive safely.lol
(and still a lot less than a pine box, though we did ship some parts that way too.)
Edit: this was also way before a 1x12x20ft pine board tripled in price, too! We used to bring in 100 20ft lengths at a time, along with 50 4x8 sheets of plywood in assorted thicknesses. Im glad im not the purchasing agent now.

Last edited:
When packing anything for shipping I just assume everyone handling it will try and damage what’s inside.

I just shipped an upper hood latch panel for 68-69 RR to a friend in Texas from here in Maryland. I went to the local carpet store, and they GAVE me a HD 6in carpet tube, 10ft long. I cut it down to bout 55in and packed the part with padding. Cost was $21....He got it undamaged.

In 2018 I purchased two, 7.5 foot long trim pieces from an outfit in San Diego. They shipped the two pieces in a gray colored PVC tube with padding in each end and sealed off with caps. Shipping and handling was $49.90 because of the long length. The USPS delivered it on time and undamaged to my home in Georgia.

Remember to last Christmas season and the shipping disasters? And then it lasted until April? So ship them now while the shippers are doing good.

Carpet tubes are the best. Shipped trim all over the world with-out damage..

No need to pay for a strip mall packing store. It will already be costly to ship.

Excellent advice about putting the tube inside a box. Shipping a Round Container goes Way up.

@moparmarks what shipper did you use for this package? How long was it?
Used FedEx and it was 89" long.
Carpet tubes work great the carpet stores around here now charge you for a tube.
PVC pipe in a box is the best.

Cleaning out my stash, I have some decent driver quality B Body side trims that I would like to put up for sale. But these aluminum things for the quarter panels are about 6-1/2 feet long. What would be the best way to offer shipping? I know it would need to be a sturdy container! And would the common carriers accept a package that long? Any advice guys?

4'' abs plastic plumbing pipe w/ caps glued on on ends ------------packed not to rattle against each other .

Auto Transport Service
Back