• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superbird clone/tribute car As close to the real thing as I'll ever get probably. Where do I begin?

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
As incredible as it is to me, my wife has expressed an interest in us having a Superbird clone, and I don't have to sell my Roadrunner to get it.
Now I'm usually the "irresponsible teenager" at 58 years old, but I did give her a couple of "reality checks" like the several times she has complained about spending a few hundred dollars to get neccessary or appropriate items or labor costs to complete work or systems that we have already bought, installed, or need to get done.
What she thinks matters, because while I do ok for myself financially, she's going to be topping $100K/year soon, and has before, so her contribution matters...
NOW that I've got that out of the way, I have a few questions:
WHERE TO BEGIN?
Would you start with a Satellite? Isn't the sheetmetal on a BASE Satellite different than the Satellite Sport and Roadrunners? If I recall correctly the BASE model doesn't have rear quarter scoops..
ALSO, I know there are a number of companies that offer kits, and various levels of quality and finish. I have NO interest in fooling ANYONE into thinking it's a Superbird if they know what to look for. If it's in motion and someone is driving along or watching it go by? YES, I want it to "look like" a Superbird, but in no way do I need it to stand up to any scrutiny beyond:
Having the aero rear window and "plug"
Wing, Nose Cone, fender vents, Coronet fenders, aero A pillar trim...all of that is a MUST.
As far as quality of the "repop" parts, I'm fine with a 10-15 footer. I don't want to make a clone that normal "car guys" would point at and laugh, but I don't want to spend anymore than neccessary to "pull off" the illusion of a Superbird.
A Gen 3 Hemi is a MUST, so I don't care what the base car has, or even if it has, an engine or transmission. I also would like an underhood turbocharged solution for power adding. This way unless my foot is in it, it's a fairly docile ride. I would consider a Hellcrate or "second hand" engine, but I honestly think that getting a solid Gen 3 Hemi and having it turbocharged may be the best overall performance VALUE.
For suspension I want the best handling solution for high speed and handling at high speed, and braking.
So there it is. I'm not sure if or when it will happen, and I have a ways to go with my Roadrunner before I would spend any money on the 'Bird clone (Other than the base car. If a great deal on a great base car comes up, I'd jump on that).
Any advice on sources for kits that look ok in motion and not laughable when seen still from 10 feet away would be appreciated. What BASE car would you build a clone on. Any ideas on powerplant.
Thanks for entertaining my dreams.

??? You going to do the work yourself or hire it out? If a hire.. just buy one done, pull the engine and swap in your drive train of choice. You'll be $$'s ahead...

Thanks as always guys...
You going to do the work yourself or hire it out? If a hire.. just buy one done, pull the engine and swap in your drive train of choice.
I'd have someone do the work.
I'd love to be able to do what I can, but as I've indicated before, I stay pretty busy with my one man small business, and at $100-$150/hr plus the responsibility I have to stay viable in my business, it just makes more sense for me to have pros I can trust to do the work.
Case in point, the shop doing TONS of work on my Roadrunner right now:
He quoted me $10k flat. I countered $5K cash, $4K credit card (that is how much my wife thinks the total cost is). He agreed, but I have to cover odds and ends regarding little parts that may be needed along the way, plus I'm providing everything being installed. Trust me, it's a very good deal all the way around.
So yeah, I'd hire it out.
Now just to be clear, I do NOT want to buy a real 'Bird because I DEFINITELY want a turbocharged (or possibly factory supercharged) Gen 3 Hemi, and I am NOT going to do that to a real Superbird.
So if I were to "buy one" it would have to be a clone that someone did or started.

I was going to build a clone until the real deal came along. I started with a 70 Satellite which has since been cut up for 3 deserving projects and parts sold to others. I still have some of the clone pieces, Coronet fenders, hood already converted, etc. I'm money ahead doing my real Bird with the Satellite for patches as needed. You will need a 70 Belvedere, RR, GTX, or Satellite body as a base to start.
20190903_201058.jpg
20190903_195357.jpg

I would have to drag the Coronet fenders out for a picture. What I don't have is a nose or rear window plug.

Remember there is more to life than making money... you'd never believe what I walked away from to spend time with family and "play" with airplanes and cars.

Last edited:
Would you start with a Satellite? Isn't the sheetmetal on a BASE Satellite different than the Satellite Sport and Roadrunners? If I recall correctly the BASE model doesn't have rear quarter scoops..
Whether you have the cast scoops of the GTX or road runner, or the Chrome of the Sport Satellite, or no scoop inserts at all, the quarter panel sheet metal is still the same.
5534528_1_l.jpg
1970-road-runner-440-side-scoop.jpg
1970-plymouth-sport-satellite-hardtop-2-door.jpg

I'd look around for a hard top, not the pillared coupe.

the quarter panel sheet metal is still the same.
So ALL 70 Plymouth "Satellite" variants have the rear quarter side scoops if I understand correctly?
Thanks!
Remember there is more to life than making money... you'd never believe what I walked away from to spend time with family and "play" with airplanes and cars.
Well there's more to it, and I've written about it.
I have lower back problems, and right now, just from being on my feet for a while, my left leg quadriceps are going numb. If I don't get off my feet or reduce the pressure on my lower back, the numbness turns into fire. There are still things I do underhood and to my Roadrunner and the GTO, but I pay for it physically.
Once we get the 3 room metal garage and 2 post lift for the center room, I'll be able to do more.
My work isn't for the sake of work, although I'm blessed by God to have the vocation I have, it's to get things done so my wife and I can enjoy our cars. I like working on them, it's just physically difficult.

You're preaching to the choir their bio.. I had a 3 story building fall on me when I was 18 (1980). I have for the most part no L3 or 4 and my nerves pinch off at times without notice and I go paralyzed waist down and have dragged myself to the back door of the house to ring the door bell (more times than I'd like to count since I was 30) to be "picked up". A hoist in the shop would be a Godsend... as there is no way I could be doing what I'm doing without the hoist that I bought myself for a 50th birthday present. I do just enough airplane work to keep the reaper away, gas in vehicles and us fed. I just refuse to stop... but I ain't going back to "work"! LOL
buildingcollapse.jpg

But back to your quest! Find a done Bird, clone or not. If it's not a numbers Bird there should be no issue changing the drive train. Don't be worried about the next generation and resale, as they won't be there or care.

Last edited:
Way to go!!!!
IMO, you are better off going supercharged, with the gen 3, it fits much nicer on top of the engine, then trying to stuff the turbos in.
Also check out Arrington(for your gen3), I have 3 friends who have forged gen 3 engines using forced induction built by Arrington, and they love them, if I could afford I would be going 392, stroked to 426!!!!
Just my two cents

As incredible as it is to me, my wife has expressed an interest in us having a Superbird clone, and I don't have to sell my Roadrunner to get it.
Now I'm usually the "irresponsible teenager" at 58 years old, but I did give her a couple of "reality checks" like the several times she has complained about spending a few hundred dollars to get neccessary or appropriate items or labor costs to complete work or systems that we have already bought, installed, or need to get done.
What she thinks matters, because while I do ok for myself financially, she's going to be topping $100K/year soon, and has before, so her contribution matters...
NOW that I've got that out of the way, I have a few questions:
WHERE TO BEGIN?
ALSO, I know there are a number of companies that offer kits, and various levels of quality and finish. I have NO interest in fooling ANYONE into thinking it's a Superbird if they know what to look for. If it's in motion and someone is driving along or watching it go by? YES, I want it to "look like" a Superbird, but in no way do I need it to stand up to any scrutiny beyond:
Having the aero rear window and "plug"
Wing, Nose Cone, fender vents, Coronet fenders, aero A pillar trim...all of that is a MUST.
As far as quality of the "repop" parts, I'm fine with a 10-15 footer. I don't want to make a clone that normal "car guys" would point at and laugh, but I don't want to spend anymore than neccessary to "pull off" the illusion of a Superbird.
A Gen 3 Hemi is a MUST, so I don't care what the base car has, or even if it has, an engine or transmission. I also would like an underhood turbocharged solution for power adding. This way unless my foot is in it, it's a fairly docile ride. I would consider a Hellcrate or "second hand" engine, but I honestly think that getting a solid Gen 3 Hemi and having it turbocharged may be the best overall performance VALUE.
For suspension I want the best handling solution for high speed and handling at high speed, and braking.
So there it is. I'm not sure if or when it will happen, and I have a ways to go with my Roadrunner before I would spend any money on the 'Bird clone (Other than the base car. If a great deal on a great base car comes up, I'd jump on that).
Any advice on sources for kits that look ok in motion and not laughable when seen still from 10 feet away would be appreciated. What BASE car would you build a clone on. Any ideas on powerplant.
Thanks for entertaining my dreams.

I can fix you right up !!
grin.gif

3423.jpg

I can fix you right up !!
grin.gif
Are yours real or tribute cars? If tribute, and you want to sell one, PM me.
I don't know if this is a legit ad, but if it is, I'll be posting pix of my newly acquired 'Bird clone by Wednesday if they contact me by Monday...
EDIT: SCAMMERS SUCK
20200718_164750.jpg

Last edited:
You lucky S.O.B. :bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:
Uh, yeah?
No...Take the exact opposite of that one snapshot of time. That's what my wife is usually like.
It's a non stop unrelenting tirade of misery with the occasional stunning moment of happiness, and then back to the typical misery...
Lol.

Uh, yeah?
No...Take the exact opposite of that one snapshot of time. That's what my wife is usually like.
It's a non stop unrelenting tirade of misery with the occasional stunning moment of happiness, and then back to the typical misery...
Lol.
Buy a car - quickly. She may change her mind and start demanding children. :D

Buy a car - quickly. She may change her mind and start demanding children. :D
LOLZZZ.....
Hey, my best friend who made the trip w/me to Fast Lane in St Chas MO to get my Roadrunner can attest to the 100% factual truth of this post:
My wife signed for the loan on the Roadrunner. So I had to basically "sell" the idea of buying the car to her. Anyway, she knew the price of the car, knew the loan amount and terms, and she had to sign the loan documents.
SHE KNEW AND AGREED TO ALL ASPECTS OF THE PURCHASE.
I'm emphasizing that because you don't know how true a statement it is that you made here:
Buy a car - quickly. She may change her mind
There were only about 2-3 days between the loan being signed, by her, and me leaving to go get the car. In those 2 days or so, she gradually was moving away from "sure, go get it" to "you selfish piece of **** I hate you and you should die"...
I was literally at my friend's door to pick him up to head out for Missouri and she called me. I put her on speaker phone so he could witness my tormentor lambasting me. Something along the lines of "The weather and cold front coming down through Louisiana looks really bad and I'm afraid for your safety" became "You selfish piece of ****, I hope you drop dead and catch on fire" within about a 90 second phone call.
She had already got her GTO about 3 or 4 weeks earlier....
I think this pretty much sums up life for me with my wife:
FP_EPH_000015_Bipolar_176c9032-bc54-4fce-90d4-9c1f56042fd1_large.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back