• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

big block build question

bigjimmyl

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
OK so i think i have decided to beef up the 440 that is in my 71 charger instead of rebuilding the number matching motor that is out of it. i'm looking for some input on aluminium cylinder heads. i dont want to spend 4000.00 on a set so im looking at the edelbrock or the trick flows. it just gonna see street use. the 440 might be 10.0 to 1 has a little cam 480/454 lift in it edelbrock aluminium manifold, quick fuel 850 dp carb and accel ignition 727 trans 343 rear. what do you guys think on rocker ratios as well?
Jim

What’s the goal with the car, just a cruiser? No need to go crazy look at the Edelbrock e street heads or even 440 source stealth heads. Either way make sure they get checked by a pro before installing.

What ever you decide, have them looked at by a shop. do not install them right out of the box!

Stealth for stock look, Trick flow for performance.

Rocker ratio? I'd just stick with 1.5 unless you decide to do more. Talk with your cam mfr and get their input.

Trick Flows maybe overkill for only street. Any of the aftermarket alum heads would want a somewhat larger cam, IMHO. I agree with 67 Coronet, have any aftermarket checked out, seems like like guides need attention, no matter which brand.

Street use only trick flows shouldn’t even be apart of the question. Those heads can support 700+hp out of the box porting. Edelbrock rpm or e street or stealth heads.

590 hp Trick Flows, 9.9:1 icon pistons, 236/242 112 lsa, solid roller with 1.6 HS rockers. 6bbl with mild port on intake. Will run on 91 octane pump gas, maybe even 89. Built by Jim LaRoy. Check out the torque line
Tim%20Borrall%20440%20078.jpg

590 hp Trick Flows, 9.9:1 icon pistons, 236/242 112 lsa, solid roller with 1.6 HS rockers. 6bbl with mild port on intake. Will run on 91 octane pump gas, maybe even 89. Built by Jim LaRoy. Check out the torque line
:thumbsup::lowdown::lowdown::lowdown::lowdown::lowdown::lowdown:
I want mine to be like THAT! Shooting for 600HP/650TQ w/my 6 bbl (one day).
Playing with NO2 spray plate(s) too. 100HP to start. Waiting for my 3 x 2bbl Holley carbs to come back from Promax.

I’d use the trick flow 240’s.
As has already been said, take any “ready to run” heads apart for thorough inspection and setup.
Also, agree that a 1.5 rocker is fine.

I’d use the trick flow 240’s.
As has already been said, take any “ready to run” heads apart for thorough inspection and setup.
Also, agree that a 1.5 rocker is fine.
I'm going with the TF 240s, but for the OP's build the 440 Source or CNC'd version may make sense.

I’ll take the made in the USA heads from trick flow.
No thanks on the Chinese heads at a discount.
I have a real hard time buying offshore anything when there is an option.
I'm going with the TF 240s, but for the OP's build the 440 Source or CNC'd version may make sense.

I dont want to spend 4000.00 on a set so im looking at the edelbrock or the trick flows.
Although the TF 240s are my choice, I found by doing some rough math that the cost of the assembled heads is a little more than half of the cost of actually getting them on and running.
I'm open to correction by the forum, but Harland Sharp roller rockers, new "HP" rocker shafts, pushrods, etc. make the final cost close to 4k

Although the TF 240s are my choice, I found by doing some rough math that the cost of the assembled heads is a little more than half of the cost of actually getting them on and running.
I'm open to correction by the forum, but Harland Sharp roller rockers, new "HP" rocker shafts, pushrods, etc. make the final cost close to 4k
Yup, ede e street or rpm would cut that cost in half. Trick flow is far and away the better head but not required for this application. Edelbrock is also made in USA

View attachment 638666
Nice! That is what I’m looking to do with my stuff as well. Would you be so kind as to state the engine size as well as the cam grind number and manufacturer?

Buy the bundle from edelbrock, tell them your gear ratio, dump the 850 dp which is a disaster on the street please.Also auto or still get their cam kit as well.

My Satellite had the EDE RPM's when I got it. They're good & better casting quality I believe, compared to the Source heads. I've heard too many verified stories about broken Source heads. You can make the 850 DP work on the street, takes tinkering.

What’s the goal with the car, just a cruiser? No need to go crazy look at the Edelbrock e street heads or even 440 source stealth heads. Either way make sure they get checked by a pro before installing.

just street cruising no track time

so just street use no track cruising and light to light

Buy the bundle from edelbrock, tell them your gear ratio, dump the 850 dp which is a disaster on the street please.Also auto or still get their cam kit as well.

seems like a few of you guys dont dig the 850dp. i have the quick fuel, much better piece that the holley, and isnt the thermoquad bigger then 850? or is ti the manual secondaries over the vacuum?

for the style of build you're doing
IMO, take it or leave it...
I'd do the Edelbrock E-Street Alum. cylinder heads

in either 75cc combustion chambers 'if you want more compression'
have a low compression combo
or the 84cc combustion chambers
'if you already have the desired 9.5:1-10:1 compression'

unlike some others, the Edelbrock is;
100% cast, assembled using 'Made in the USA' parts & labor
like appr. $1100-$1200 for a pair, form Jegs or Summit...
https://www.edelbrock.com/big-block-chrysler-e-street-cylinder-heads-75cc-5090.html
you can get them with specific spring & retainer combos for
the style of camshaft you have currently or choose for a latter date...

if you are inbetween in compression you can run a
thinner or thicker head gasket to make up some differences {to an extent}
with either the 75cc or 84cc, both have 2.14 in. & 1.81 ex. valves

the Edelbrock RPM or the E-Street flow better
than the Stealths std. port too
291cfm @ 0.600" gross valve lift Out of the Box, before any porting

than the Stealth's out of the box un-ported,
Stealth's out of the box are like 250cfm @ 0.600" gvl
cast in China & assembled in the USA

you can use OE style rockers & shafts if you want, same oiling system
or step up & get rollers, for an extra $$$$
just make sure you check pushrod lengths
& styles of pushrods to match your rockers etc.

there are better heads out there
IMO not really necessary for your build style, end use...
but they are 2-5 times the money also,
these E-Streets {or the RPM's}
'are really the best bang for the buck for a hot street car'
1500-5500rpm 400-500hp range,
a 40hp-70hp (or more) change, just by flow rates,
if done properly over the stock cast iron heads
or more easily, if you want to spend more $$$

hell the weight saving alone, off the nose, braking & handling etc.
IMO is worth the conversion to alum. heads

If you can't do it yourself, just have them gone thru/checked
& make sure everything is correct for your set up
you should do that with any assembled head package you buy from anyone
it's cheap insurance

Nothing wrong with the 850 QF DP, if it's tuned correctly either...

you need a hotter ignition, low ohm plug wires,
the proper, torque converter (or clutch)
& proper gearing also, to accommodate the changes too,
to get the most out of it

if $$$ or budget isn't an issue do the 'Trickflow 240' heads
for a 'really hot street bruiser' engine

Last edited:
I'm running the Edelbrock RPMs on my 440, and they made a big difference, but with other components and a plan to take advantage of the extra flow a little better. I use a Demon mech 850. It's been a great carb but as others have stated, they do require attention to get them set up properly...but to me, that should be standard procedure for any carburetor you put on your engine unless you have a friend or somebody that can tune it for you. My Demon sure runs better than the Holley vacuum secondary carb I used to have on this motor, for whatever reason. I personally wouldn't consider anything other than the shaft mounted stock rocker setup on your engine

Auto Transport Service
Back