• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

big block build question

so just street use no track cruising and light to light

seems like a few of you guys dont dig the 850dp. i have the quick fuel, much better piece that the holley, and isnt the thermoquad bigger then 850? or is ti the manual secondaries over the vacuum?
The TQ is commonly referred by the cfm numbers of 800 (small) & 850 (big primaries) But they are not. The smaller primary TQ flows in the 760/770 area and the larger primary TQ flows in the 790/800 area.
There are two race TQ carbs that are very hard to find that flow an honest 850 IIRC (small) and 1,000 (big) cfm ‘s.

The electric choke models are 760 cfm.

Last edited:
This is the small race TQ. Notice the splayed idle trim screws as well as the lack of vacuum ports. Just one for the distributor. There is one large one in the rear and one small one for the vacuum pull off. Take note that these carbs meter fuel differently than any other TQ carb except the TQ’s first year.
104B8D69-F6F2-4974-BEB6-BD9538D7A988.jpeg

In this shot from above, you can see the lack of choke linkages not only on the side but the parts that cross over the secondaries. The fuel inlet is centered facing downwards and uses a Rochester fitting.
The manual choke attachment point is on the top, rear left.
B3961880-1554-4ADB-B32D-4396209A32FA.jpeg

Looking down the primaries, notice the single ring booster.
021A1640-A5C1-4EAE-871A-301800DC9486.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys this is actually been very informative thread. Thanks for all the help made a few phone calls yesterday to Edelbrock and 440 source. Edelbrock seems the way they go, either the E Street or the RPMs the only difference is the e-street max out of 5500 RPM and the RPMs will go up to 6500 And then all the peripheral parts rockers pushrods lifters gaskets Etc. Probably going to end up with the 85cc Chambers without looking I'm guessing I have 10 to 1 pistons in the car already going to run a compression check to make sure before I go forward with this and see exactly what's going on I already have the Edelbrock torker manifold I think I'm going to stick with the 850 carb I got it tuned pretty good.
Someone had asked about the ignition system I have an accell electronic conversion with a with low resistance wires Etc and a 6500 RPM box. probably going to stick with the 1. 5 / 1 rockers any recommendations on rockers lifters pushrods Etc. Again thanks for all the help

You won’t really know what the static CR is until you take the engine apart and measure how far down in the hole (if at all) the pistons are, what the valve reliefs measure, what the cylinder heads measure (not theoretical, but an actual CC’ing of the chambers) and how thick the head gaskets are.

A compression test is largely dependent on your cam.

FYI, check around see if there's a difference between E Street & RPM as far as header location/fit, I don't know. My RPM's fit well. With the RPM's you have a choice of chamber volumes to achieve your desired CR (10.5 worked well with 92 pump). RPM's are bigger/better than Mopar iron, but not too big, IMHO.

Auto Transport Service
Back