• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bit the Bullet: Going EFI

Sweet5ltr

Local time
12:05 AM
Reaction score
I had enough, after a comical episode two weeks ago, two hours before leaving for one of the nations largest car shows, with two different Holley carburetors losing heli-coils within a two hour period; a Holley Sniper EFI system is on its way. Already have a -8AN feed/-10AN return style fuel system on the car, with an in-line Walbro 255lph pump. The Sniper is good for 680hp @ 85% injector duty cycle, so it should be fine on my 470 low-deck.

With only a 4-wire hookup (Batt +/-, 12v key pwr source wire, tach wire from ignition box), it seems really simple. I already have a 6al-2 to control timing, so it will be fuel only.

Anyone else have this system or thinking about purchasing it? :moparsmiley:

I am looking at that exact system but I'm gonna get the fuel system with it. Let me know what you think!

I am looking at that exact system but I'm gonna get the fuel system with it. Let me know what you think!

It's probably a better value with the fuel system to be honest, Earls Vapor Guard 3/8" hose is around $100 / 20' alone. You're also getting bulkhead / fuel fittings, pre / post fuel filters, clamps, and a Walbro 255 fuel pump (for around $238 +/- dollars extra). You could probably save a few dollars sourcing them yourself, but everything is warrantied through Holley otherwise, so worth the extra cost.

Make sure to price match CJponyparts with Summit Racing or Jegs, CJ has a 5% off coupon right now
EP1012; which brings the total to somewhere around $1,186 for the masters kit. The standard kit was only $948.

I run fitech, but the sniper is very similar, I would recommend going with a good intank fuel pump. I started with a inline pump, thought it wouldnt be a problem as long as i kept the tank 1/2 full. But still had fuel slosh problems. Switched to a intank pump, all problems went away.

I run fitech, but the sniper is very similar, I would recommend going with a good intank fuel pump. I started with a inline pump, thought it wouldnt be a problem as long as i kept the tank 1/2 full. But still had fuel slosh problems. Switched to a intank pump, all problems went away.

I run a fuel cell with a sump, no issues with gravity feeding for five years with the Walbro (originally running twin Walbro's with turbo setup).

The sump might make the differnce, I ran the inline, with stock tank and a carb for years no problem, Fuel injection does not like a drop in fuel pressure.

The sump might make the differnce, I ran the inline, with stock tank and a carb for years no problem, Fuel injection does not like a drop in fuel pressure.

You're absolutely right, that may cause an issue. My inline pump is mounted on the chassis, 3-4" below the tank.

I had enough, after a comical episode two weeks ago, two hours before leaving for one of the nations largest car shows, with two different Holley carburetors losing heli-coils within a two hour period; a Holley Sniper EFI system is on its way. Already have a -8AN feed/-10AN return style fuel system on the car, with an in-line Walbro 255lph pump. The Sniper is good for 680hp @ 85% injector duty cycle, so it should be fine on my 470 low-deck.

With only a 4-wire hookup (Batt +/-, 12v key pwr source wire, tach wire from ignition box), it seems really simple. I already have a 6al-2 to control timing, so it will be fuel only.

Anyone else have this system or thinking about purchasing it? :moparsmiley:

Looking at the Sniper for my '70 Super Bee 383. I like the idea of the system being able to control timing and electric fans. Will need Holley's distributor, though. For the fuel tank, I'm looking at Tanks Inc. Their fuel injection tank/pump/sender is $500, vs Holley's @ $580. I think this system makes for better drivability. Good luck and keep us posted.

Following! I am at the beginning of my build. I have been looking at getting the entire Holley Sniper system w/Distributor.

It would seam a lot cheaper to just quit over torquing your bolts?:poke:

A good friend just received the full kit, nice looking parts with a significant amount of harnesses. Looks like quality stuff to me.

I bought the sniper, going to install it on a 66 Hemi Coronet. Check Hot Rod City Garage for a fuel tank if Holley or Tanks inc don't make one for your application. I'm still waiting on the tank, the Sniper arrived very nice professional looking parts. There is a guy on ebay that makes a single four barrel air cleaner base that will accept the original chrome air cleaner dome. I bought the obsolete single four barrel mopar intake manifold which I'm going to modify by milling about an inch from the divider in the plenum. Holley tech said it should work fine without the mod to the manifold but I only want to do this once.

I’ve got the Terminator, Walbro GSL392 pump on my 470, luv it!!!!

Nice! I’m following too. I’ve got probably 1 more cruising season in the carb on top then I’ll get irritated and bite the bullet too. I am just starting to research the different EFI systems for the 512/400.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks everyone I was 100% pro-carb, until the good tunable 4150 carburetors cost 50%-75% of what a great self-learning EFI setup cost.

this American Made Holley system has been out for a year and everyone raves about it for the most part with very little negative press.

I've been a member of the FiTech owners group on FB since they were originally released. It left a very poor image in my mind, can't even count the number of 'just shut off' - 'getting towed home, again' posts every month. Many are happy with them as well, so it just seems the luck-of-the-draw like anything created by overseas manufacturing.

Just ordered a few more AN fittings and fuel line to plumb my current lines to the Sniper and remove my regulator. Hoping I have everything on-hand to do the install on Friday.

Last edited:
this depends on where ur pick ups are located.

I just did the Fitech on the Charger and it seems to be running good (only 30 miles on it so far.) I hear good things about the Sniper. Holly seems to have better instructions and support. One difference is the map sensors. I think the Sniper has a 1-bar sensor for NA engines, and the FiTech has a 3-bar map sensor that works with NA or boosted engines.

I just did the Fitech on the Charger and it seems to be running good (only 30 miles on it so far.) I hear good things about the Sniper. Holly seems to have better instructions and support. One difference is the map sensors. I think the Sniper has a 1-bar sensor for NA engines, and the FiTech has a 3-bar map sensor that works with NA or boosted engines.

Which FiTech model? Notice any difference over your carb?

That may be true, the Super Sniper kit comes with a 2.5BAR MAP sensor.

Actually Holley states the standard Sniper comes with a 2-bar map sensor. Probably fine for a roots blower type setup.

Here is a good article on the new Super Sniper system, it's an additional $250-$500 over the standard Sniper. Even has a built in boost and progressive nitrous controller. Pretty incredible for only $1,250-$1,500.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/holley-super-sniper-efi-makes-1250-hp-just-1500/

Thanks, I was wrong, the base Sniper has a 2-bar map sensor. I did not know about the "Super Sniper" 1250 Forced induction EFI unit, just the regular Sniper unit.
I like that the base sniper unit comes with timing control, where you have to have the more expensive FiTech Power Adder unit to get that feature.
I have the FiTech Go 8 (8 injector model) 1200 power adder model. I bough it about 2 years ago for my Jensen Interceptor project, but that project is on hold until I get a new job. I was having issues with the carb on the Charger, so I decided to "try" the EFI on the Charger to see if it would even work on a car with a big cam and low vacuum. It fired up and ran OK, way better than the messed up carb (need to tear the carb apart to see what happened to it.) With some easy EFI tuning adjustments and letting THE unit self learn it is running nice now. Not sure if there will be a power difference. The carb was a QF1050 cfm, and the EFI is supposed to only be 880 cfm?
I like these newer EFI units, as I can save off different "tunes". Currently only running 30 degrees ignition advance on 91 octane pump gas, but want to put 100 octane in it and take it to a chassis dyno and make some timing adjustments to get best power.

I'm happy with the FiTech so far, but now that the Holley Super Sniper is on the market at the same price, I would buy it for the extra analog inputs and add a fuel pressure sensor to log the fuel pressure. I also like the Snipers lower rear mounted fuel inlet and outlet ports. The fuel ports on the FiTech are at the top of the EFI body and it makes it hard to fit a drop base air filter over the fuel fittings.

Auto Transport Service
Back