• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black alternator

19 69 GTX

Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a black alternator. I have a black serpentine kit and would like alternator to match. Thanks

Really don't want a one wire alternator. I was going to run battery in trunk. If so I'd have to run a wire from alternator all the way to trunk plus a wire from trunk to starter. Hmm

Really don't want a one wire alternator. I was going to run battery in trunk. If so I'd have to run a wire from alternator all the way to trunk plus a wire from trunk to starter. Hmm
Don't you have to run a battery cable to the starter?
Mike

I still have a really nice black alternator with an aluminum 8 groove pulley from CVF already attached. Alternator is the Tuff Stuff model 100amp model. It requires an external regulator.
This sounds like what you might need/want. PM

IMG_2247.JPG

Ill get u that when I get home. I ordered the tuff stuff one returned it can’t remember but it didn’t work for my application,

CVF Racing has my vote. I've got their serpentine setup and their stealth black alternator. Love the stuff and they have a lifetime warranty.

I like better the TuffStuff alt. They are the older version, so more "correct look" if the therm fits here.

Aside the Powermaster alt being based on the revised version of the squareback alt its also a bit wider ( couple of milimeters or so ), so ON SOME SETUPS it can fit really tight. Personal experience using the revised alt version! I had to trim out a bit the rear alt spacer and get longer belts because alt meets the block on bearing are at case. 74 B block. Longer belts are a problem with A/C because it makes more belt slapping when turning A/C on. Not a problem on those with the belt iddler pulley installed on some lates 74 setups, but those what don't get the iddler pulley... mmmmm. It reachs the upper rad hose untill cut it due the higher alt position and the larger slapping

Was thinking about this one. On the the description it says one wire capability what's that mean. Figured it's one way or the other. Also would I be able to just have my 8 rib serpentine pulley pushed on.

Screenshot_20220218-092615_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220218-092630_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220218-092637_Chrome.jpg

Out of curiosity, what was the advantage of switching to the new belt drive arrangement (not a true serpentine system where one belt dtives all accessories) vs the origional belt drive arrangement? It appears that the alternator sheave is larger diameter than stock and the crankshaft sheave is smaller diameter than stock. Wouldn't that result in lower alternator RPMs and corresponding lower output voltage and current, especially at idle? If so, then, the new alternator will likely NOT live up to your expectations or requirements. Is the physical color of the alternator a requirement? Just trying to understand your issues.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back