• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Ghost going to auction.

VicsGarage

Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
I covered the story of the Black Ghost in my latest youtube video. If true, its a pretty cool story. Will be interesting to see what it will bring at auction given that it needs a fair bit of work. Who's had the chance to see it in person?

No wonder the legend of the Black Ghost written. It was posted 6? months ago. Who posted I'm NOT criticizing him her she it or they:poke:, it was an interesting story. Maybe it was to start the hype for this sale? Guess I'm to much of a cynic.

No wonder the legend of the Black Ghost written. It was posted 6? months ago. Who posted I'm NOT criticizing him her she it or they:poke:, it was an interesting story. Maybe it was to start the hype for this sale? Guess I'm to much of a cynic.

It's a local Chicago car from 50+ years ago that they have hyped up to be a national legend. Being an all original car and the false hype built up around it, it will no doubt go for huge bucks.

It’s been at MCACN several times.
The paint seemed tired, but otherwise the car is in decent shape.
There has been a lot of hype on the car, it’s obvious they are trying to get buyers excited about bidding it up.
I’m a lifelong Challenger fan, but the car doesn’t do much for me. It’s not a nice enough survivor to excite me, but probably too good condition to justify restoring it.
The story and history are mostly important to the family but not so much to anyone else. I hope it does well in May, but I really don’t see it being worth anywhere near what Mecum estimates it at.

It's a local Chicago car from 50+ years ago that they have hyped up to be a national legend. Being an all original car and the false hype built up around it, it will no doubt go for huge bucks.
Detroit not Chicago, the only times it’s been to Chicago were 2018 and 2021 when it was shown at MCACN.

It's a local Chicago (DETROIT not Chiraq) car from 50+ years ago that they have hyped up to be a national legend. Being an all original car and the false hype built up around it, it will no doubt go for huge bucks.
:thumbsup: 2nd or 3rd hand stories too

Detroit's fastest street cars, :blah: I doubt it was ever that...
Not how it sits right now it wasn't...
Not with all the serious muscle running around Detroit back then
A many, even from the Big 3 (4 if you count AMC/Rambles)
Woodward Ave
themselves doing experimental engineering & 'street racing'

But it's all a good more than likely, an exaggerated tall tale
not to say, or to diminish
the former owner's military history, or that it's not a cool old car
nonetheless

my $1.25

Last edited:
I covered the story of the Black Ghost in my latest youtube video. If true, its a pretty cool story. Will be interesting to see what it will bring at auction given that it needs a fair bit of work. Who's had the chance to see it in person?

well done video :thumbsup: too

:thumbsup: 2nd or 3rd hand stories too

Detroit's fastest street cars, :blah: I doubt it was ever that...
Not how it sits right now it wasn't...
Not with all the serious muscle running around Detroit back then
A many, even from the Big 3 (4 if you count AMC/Rambles)
Woodward Ave
themselves doing experimental engineering & 'street racing'

But it's all a good more than likely, an exaggerated tall tale
not to say, or to diminish
the former owner's military history, or that it's not a cool old car
nonetheless

my $1.25
I don't doubt some of its exaggerated. Especially given it seems to be a relatively stock motor. Hemi's were great, but when you see some of the performance offerings from some dealers like Mr. Norm, or Baldwin-Motion, it's hard to see this thing being what its been hyped up to be.

"Legends" do grow legs though. If the car made brief appearances and then disappeared for times like they say, I can see a tale being spun.
well done video :thumbsup: too
Thanks, They've gotten better from my first few history videos. Gonna have to redo my Mr. Norm and Ballstud Hemi ones I think...

I never heard mention of it in all the years of stories and “bench racing” going back 45 years.

I do remember reading about this one…
747DF46B-96D1-4D58-9862-335E906A26A7.jpeg
D19407F0-8722-444F-BF6A-1D2F7EC70AF5.jpeg

All us old Motown street racers, have been on FB. We've been poo-pooing that legend stuff, since that car turned up awhile back. We all watched Lisk running around, though. Thursday nights at the Nugget. All the hitters hung out there.

That car doesn't do much for me. I know of a few other Black Hemi Challengers I would much sooner own. The story isn't backed up by anything either and doesn't trump the history of any other Hemi cars IMO. It's no more important than any other Hemi Challenger.

Once the bids go over the current market value of a Hemi Challenger R/T,they are buying the story not the car. The car is a stock Hemi car,it was not hanging with the cars that were on Detroit street scene that were 10 second street cars,some were breaking into the 9s.

It’s been at MCACN several times.
The paint seemed tired, but otherwise the car is in decent shape.
There has been a lot of hype on the car, it’s obvious they are trying to get buyers excited about bidding it up.
I’m a lifelong Challenger fan, but the car doesn’t do much for me. It’s not a nice enough survivor to excite me, but probably too good condition to justify restoring it.
The story and history are mostly important to the family but not so much to anyone else. I hope it does well in May, but I really don’t see it being worth anywhere near what Mecum estimates it at.
I've seen the car in person as well, and share your opinion. I'm curious to how much of a premium the marketing campaign will bring. The cost to transport it to and from the Mecum events this year isn't peanuts.

Hype makes the 68-70 car world go round.
This thing will sell for gonzo bucks. It's an "investment". Buyer will seek out every media thing he can find and store this away in a climate controlled garage with glass showcases showing off all the hype and his kids will sell it when he dies. Probably at Mecum, with all the hype literature to go with it.
But this is America still, to each their own.

Auto Transport Service
Back