• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bliock froze after power wash, now how to free up the pistons?

Dibbons

Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
Had my car stored at a friend's. He thought he did me a "favor" by power washing the motor. Now I can't turn it over even with a breaker bar. Pulled off the heads and found some water sitting in a few cylinders. What to do?

Since the heads are off squirt the cylinders down good with some oil and let it soak
a while if it still won't turn try some type of penetrant like pb blaster. Once free after the penetrant oil them up good with motor oil before turning it a lot

I was thinking marvel mystery oil.

I'd use WD40 & let it sit a couple days. Break it loose easy, a little back & forth, paper towel out any bits that may come loose. Do that a few times & see how the bores look. Then motor oil for a little while & again see how it looks. You may not have the greatest ring seal after this, but....

Did you try to turn it over after taking the heads off?

I'm thinking the water was keeping it from turning over.

If it still won't turn over try acetone and ATF mixed 50/50. My coworker who restores antique tractors swears by it.

Another thing you could try since the heads are off is to chill the pistons with dry ice.

I'm guessing the water either came thru the carb (which was taped off supposedly) or through the exhaust manifolds and an open valve. WD-40 did not work after a few hours soak. Then the "perpetrator" gave me a can of liquid wrench and after an overnight soak I finally got some movement. Now I find one cylinder has a small trail of heavy rust that runs from the top of the cylinder and down about 3 inches. I am tempted to use sandpaper (400 grit?) as a remedy. Three quick applications with Naval Jelly (20 minute soak each of the three times) did not seem to remove any of the nasty rust trail which seems to be stopping that piston from moving past it.

Dibbons,
I think if I were you I would at least pull the piston from the rusted cylinder and check the rings. Rusted rings could lock up in the grooves and wreak havoc on your cylinder walls. Better safe than sorry

Now I find one cylinder has a small trail of heavy rust that runs from the top of the cylinder and down about 3 inches.

That could be a cracked cylinder wall. Get the rust off. If the rust line never goes away...

Another evil thought...anybody say need to drain the oil? Gotta have water in it.

My friend put some liquid wrench in the cylinders overnight and thankfully it moved after that. Used 150 grit sandpaper to remove the rust trails down the cylinders. No sign of cracks in the cylinders. Probably not a bad idea to check piston rings but I am electing just to replace the sloppy timing chain and all the gaskets for now.

Auto Transport Service
Back