• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block # gurus...

jeepthrills01

Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
Howdy gents,
So looking around the internet...after accepting the fact i cant build my 440 stroker for a while...and this gem pops up. For 350 bucks...i jumped on it.
Was rebuilt about 20 years ago...and before it could be installed the owner passed away. I have not pulled the heads yet, but with a flashlight i was able to see a very clean crosshatched bore..shiny 2 row timing chain...and a pair of 906s so clean you could eat off them... so no question that it is fresh.
But i wonder about its origin...so..if someone has a minute..please, do that voo doo that you do...so well.

20210128_162434.jpg 20210128_162458.jpg 20210128_170226.jpg 20210127_145719.jpg

It is a 383 made at the Trenton plant. What is the digit after 383? I can’t make it out in the picture. The four digits following 383 are the assembly date

If those four numbers are 2226 that would be called to September 1, 1967. The last four digits of the build sequence number

Could be "P" ...im not near it at the moment....would that make more sense?

No. The 383 should be followed by eight numerals. The first for being the 10,000 day date code. The next four basically a serial number.

If the four digits after the R are for the 10,000 day date code, that would translate to October 6, 1967

$350 for a clean, complete 383 sounds like a bargain to me. Congrats.

If it is a P it looks like that stands for premium fuel. It would still seem like you were missing one numeral though

Huh...the distributor stamping has an R on the bottom left...i thought that was the Regular fuel stamp placement.

$350 for a clean, complete 383 sounds like a bargain to me. Congrats.
Thanks...as soon as i get the heads off to measure the piston depth, im sure ill be able to determine if its ever even been used..lol...rebuilt 383 for 350 has a very sweet sound to it...i threw the dice...might come up smelling like roses

I would suggest replacing the springs. OEM blue springs with 0.060" shims (copper), not to mention they have sat in their positions for 20 years.

In reality though, you have no idea what parts are original to this engine
Not till i get it torn down.

I would suggest replacing the springs. OEM blue springs with 0.060" shims (copper), not to mention they have sat in their positions for 20 years.
It looks like it has the shims...but if i decide to run this engine...itll have my Eddie RPMs on it.

Regardless, so far, all signs point to this being an excellent buy. Just for the heck of it, when you get home and check to see what that letter actually is, you should also check what is stamped on the top front of the block Near the intake

Auto Transport Service
Back