• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blown Injected Hemi

Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger last week.

I've saved up my pennies and sent my extra 426 Hemi long block off to Ray Barton to rebuild as a Blown Injected street engine for the '64. As soon as he gets it torn down we'll talk about the build and components. I'm looking to hit ~800-850 HP. Shouldn't be too tough on 93 pump gas.

I'll post fuel delivery, electrical and cooling mod's as I go this winter.

As always, I welcome any input form you gents with experience in these set-ups.

Drive line should be ok. I am struggling on whether or not to use a 727 TF or stick with the A833. I know the drive shaft will be ok (Mark Williams) and the Dana will hold although I'll probably have Moser Eng. set me up with 3:55's or 3:90's. The 4:10's in it now are too tall for the 28" tires.

The 833 isn't going to hold up for long if you get traction with 800 hp......but we need pics!! :D

2059 sounds like a very cool project/venture,

how about posting up some photos you could share with us too, along the way ??

I'm sure other Hemi & Blower lovers here, would also love to see them too...

yes, as a lover of both the hemi and blowers,i would enjoy pictures. I would go with the automatic trans as well as a swap to 3:54 gears out back.

It's nice to see someone with more money than me.

Gil24.jpg

I agree with Cranky. As good as those 833's are you will have problems with 800+ HP. Time for a Jerico or Lenco or built Glide.

The 833 isn't going to hold up for long if you get traction with 800 hp......but we need pics!! :D

good point Cranky, score one for the 727 column.... Ya I'll start throwing up pict's as soon as things start to happen. I figure I've posted enough of '64 as it stands today.

- - - Updated - - -

Will do bud!!

- - - Updated - - -

yes, as a lover of both the hemi and blowers,i would enjoy pictures. I would go with the automatic trans as well as a swap to 3:54 gears out back.

I'm leaning that way. I have a set of 3:90's in the '08 Challenger (blown/injected) but it also has 6 speed Nag1 auto.

- - - Updated - - -

It's nice to see someone with more money than me.

Gil24.jpg

I doubt it DH; what was that car you just bought?

- - - Updated - - -

Stay true and use the push button shifter:blob1:

Absolutely, Hemi-its. I can't remember, did you mount your push buttons back in the dash or on the floor? I'll probably go back to the dash.

Score another point for the 727; very cool shifter mech!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with Cranky. As good as those 833's are you will have problems with 800+ HP. Time for a Jerico or Lenco or built Glide.

Three points! Meeps endorsement for the A/T.

- - - Updated - - -

Blown and injected like this:

View attachment 219112View attachment 219113

Dodge legends.

Nope, More like Hemi-it is..

:angel3:I'm a righty

Attachments

• 8.18.13 058.jpg
    8.18.13 058.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 865
  • 6.12.12 012.jpg
    6.12.12 012.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 859
  • 6.12.12 011.jpg
    6.12.12 011.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 845
  • 6.12.12 010.jpg
    6.12.12 010.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 842
  • 3.29.13 012.jpg
    3.29.13 012.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 856
will this be a mechanical fuel injection like a belt or cam driven pump,
with something like an Enderle bug, bird or buzzard catcher FI hat or an EFI style system,
on-top of the Roots or Screw blower or will it be a Centrifugal style supercharger ??

just curious

Maybe some details on what your going to use or thinking about...

will this be a mechanical fuel injection like a belt or cam driven pump,
with something like an Enderle bug, bird or buzzard catcher FI hat or an EFI style system,
on-top of the Roots or Screw blower or will it be a Centrifugal style supercharger ??

just curious

Maybe some details on what your going to use or thinking about...

Hey Bud,

It will be a Roots. As for the injection system; I'm not educated enough yet to make a decision and I am counting on Ray to suggest options. As I set here today I'm leaning toward EFI as opposed to mechanical. No other reason than that's what the Challenger uses and I'm happy with it. I understand it's totally different but that's all I have right now.

As soon as I talk to Ray, I'll begin the homework and the questions will start flying, I should be able to land on a decision fairly quickly once I completely understand the systems and my options.

Hey Bud,

It will be a Roots. As for the injection system; I'm not educated enough yet to make a decision and I am counting on Ray to suggest options. As I set here today I'm leaning toward EFI as opposed to mechanical. No other reason than that's what the Challenger uses and I'm happy with it. I understand it's totally different but that's all I have right now.

As soon as I talk to Ray, I'll begin the homework and the questions will start flying, I should be able to land on a decision fairly quickly once I completely understand the systems and my options.

Good,
I love the impact & look of a roots "blower" system,
never done a EFI set-up on one "YET",
had a few with the mechanical injection thou...

keep us posted, I'll be watching too

Hey Guys!

Been a crazy couple months but as of Friday I'm on Vacation until the 5th of January. So I have a second to catch up.

Sorry no picts. yet however I did talk to David Barton (Ray's son) and we discussed the long block I sent him plus some basic parameters/goals we want to achieve.

He said that he would recommend one of Holley's EFI systems. In his words "Dad and I have used many so called learning EFI systems, This is the only one that truly is." So looks like Holly it is for the EFI!! He also said that for this street engin we will only need to inject above the blower. Anything much more (HP wise) and they would dual inject it. He and Ray are putting together a package with recommended components for the build then they will get back to me for comment and of course, deposit.

Regarding the long block i sent him; He said that the rod caps appeared to fit the journals "tight". In other words you had to use light pressure in order to pull them off or slide them on. Seemed odd to him. (me too). Also, this is the engine that had a bad rear main seal leak and blowing smoke from #7. David said that the rear main seal cap was "cocked" a bit and the seal likely failed because of that. They will look into it and make sure there is nothing else wrong. They didn't notice anything wrong when they pulled #7, but he didn't look that closely. This assy will need a new rotating assy. anyway.

Now it's time to get the rear end over to Moser Eng. and give A&A a call regarding the trans. Also need to dig out and restore the shifter button assy and get the face plate out for re-chroming.

Probably won't post any picts. of that stuff unless you guys want to see...

Have a peaceful and joyous Christmas and a Safe New Year!!

you have a great Christmas too,
keep us posted & some photos are always nice

Moved forward a bit today. Not going to depend on the "steelies" to handle the torque/hp on this upgrade. Decided to go with Centerline Elite 15- 4's and 15-10's with M/T Sportsman's. (really happy with their street performance) 26x7.5 (8 ply)-15's on the front and 29x12.5-15's on the rear. I know it's "sooooo 80's" But that's what I grew up with and I like that fat bad boy look.

Settled on 3:90:1 rear gears. I called A&A today and talked to Robert a bit. Although the engine is still in discussion/concept I sent them the general parameters, for the trans build. I talked to David Barton and he and "dad" had talked a little about the build and should have it nailed down in a couple weeks.

Gonna start the tear down and get the wheels/tires ordered; get the rearend down to Moser and drop the gas tank to start mod's for fuel delivery. AND AWAAAAY WE GO!!!
https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima....crumb=dWtf0vM10Ja&fr=yfp-t-764-s&fr2=piv-web

Holy Cow 2059!
I have to see this BEAST!

PS:
Hemi itis says: "Stay true and use the push button shifter"

"My BALLS are not that big!

Thanks for an update...
2059 any photos of the actual project ?
not Elite advertisement stuff in that link...
it's interesting but I/we wanted to see the project...

Moved forward a bit today. Not going to depend on the "steelies" to handle the torque/hp on this upgrade. Decided to go with Centerline Elite 15- 4's and 15-10's with M/T Sportsman's. (really happy with their street performance) 26x7.5 (8 ply)-15's on the front and 29x12.5-15's on the rear. I know it's "sooooo 80's" But that's what I grew up with and I like that fat bad boy look.

Settled on 3:90:1 rear gears. I called A&A today and talked to Robert a bit. Although the engine is still in discussion/concept I sent them the general parameters, for the trans build. I talked to David Barton and he and "dad" had talked a little about the build and should have it nailed down in a couple weeks.

Gonna start the tear down and get the wheels/tires ordered; get the rearend down to Moser and drop the gas tank to start mod's for fuel delivery. AND AWAAAAY WE GO!!!
https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima....crumb=dWtf0vM10Ja&fr=yfp-t-764-s&fr2=piv-web

Auto Transport Service
Back