• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue overlay paint

bumblebee383

Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi...

Wondering if any Mopar paint gurus can help me. I've never seen anything like this, but my 1968 Super Bee came originally burgundy metallic (all around body).... but then you notice the bright blue in the engine bay and the door jambs. You might say previous owners repainted the car blue but that is not the case. I have pictures of factory stickers on top of the blue, which is coated on top of the burgundy. Very clear and obvious, the blue was a factory overcoat over burgundy and only appears in these areas. Can anybody confirm that this is something Dodge did in 68? The fender tag has the "high trim grade" option, not sure if that has anything to do with this paint scheme.

Perhaps this was something the original owner ordered as a special case? They wanted to see the blue tint in these areas? Another thing to note, the original instrument bezel was also blue. But fender tag calls out black interior.

IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1340.JPG SUPER B 2.JPG

The blue is a repaint, The have ethire masked the stickers, or peeled and restuck them after painting, door latch/catch shouldn't be blue also the dome light switch in the A pillar should not have a blue nut.
Lots of stuff happened in the late 70s and early 80s, Body and paint has came along way since.
I am supprised they masked or restuck the jamb stickers though.
Take a razor blade and just work one corner of one I bet you find your red color under it.
Or pull the door catch and see whats there.

The blue is a repaint, The have ethire masked the stickers, or peeled and restuck them after painting, door latch/catch shouldn't be blue also the dome light switch in the A pillar should not have a blue nut.
Lots of stuff happened in the late 70s and early 80s, Body and paint has came along way since.
I am supprised they masked or restuck the jamb stickers though.
Take a razor blade and just work one corner of one I bet you find your red color under it.
Or pull the door catch and see whats there.
Thanks- very helpful...I'll do that. They must have peeled/restuck the stickers because they would need to do a flawless job masking it. Not a hint of burgundy around the edges.

The paint of the door striker in pic two clearly shoes this was a repaint. Which happened at some point later in this cars life. The dash cluster face was black for every car of any exterior color...

The paint of the door striker in pic two clearly shoes this was a repaint. Which happened at some point later in this cars life. The dash cluster face was black for every car of any exterior color...
Gotcha....I agree. Likely a repaint. I'll check under the strikers and stickers. It's been fooling me for a while!

Auto Transport Service
Back