• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body help need !!!

PoppaSmurf

Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys and Merry Christmas,
need ya'll's help, go back to 1976 the Dodge Coronet nose piece...I believe it's fiberglass. can anyone here verify that it is ???? I had someone back into my car right before a car show today and cracked and splintered the section above the bumper and below the headlamp surround... so I need to try to repair and paint match...but I need to know what material this nose piece is
attachment.jpg
of...any ideas ?????:angry1:

Attachments

• 76dodge front end.jpg
    76dodge front end.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 377
Sorry for the 2 pic....my dumbass is still learning to operate on this sight.... ANYWAY thank you in advance for ANY kinda help....Merry Christmas and Happy new Year to you ALL !!!!

Looks like glass to me.....

well I guess I'm looking at digging it out.. in kind of a "V"... sanding, and then filling with...maybe a polyester / resin mix ? or should I do a fiberglass layover?? either way it's kinda like fixing one of my surfboards i would guess...lololololol

Unless theres different way ? ...

Id start by taking all the chrome and everything off. and wiping it down with something like acetone, something to get rid of any oils, then grind/sand the crack into a shallow channel, beveling it out but not going all the way thru, you shouldn't need to do much, just a place to fill so it bonds good. sand down where its beveled smooth and fill with polyester resin, that would be the strongest id think, Looking at pics, i myself don't see why an overlay would be needed. I have seen people use Duro-glass but i don't trust it, may be just me.. Just take your time, sand the hair line cracks until you cant see them anymore. Then like working with body puddy sand a little, make sure it all looks good. You'll need to get the correct color code to match the color and truthfully, to do it right the whole nose should be painted so you cant tell. Just my 2 cents. Maybe there's a better way, im no pro.. Good luck.

Looking real close saving that pic and getting a close up of it, the left crack looks like it may have cracked all the way thru, maybe just me.. Alley, the mod here, i bet he could give you some good advice, i know theirs others but hes the first that came to mind..

Last edited:
Indeed, it is fiberglas. I agree with Ron, best to use resin/hardener to fill. If any of the cracks go all the way through, it would be best to at least use fiberglas cloth or mat on the back side for strength. Just be careful if you have to remove the nose piece from the car, the mounting studs won't take a lot of abuse from wrenches.

Good luck, let us know how the repair turns out!

Thanks guys !!!!!! were going to give this a shot....in examining closely it didnt crack all the way through...but pretty darn close....going to try this product called Sun Cure, a polyester/resin mix that is UV cureable, and sandable, maybe I can get by without a lot of collateral damage...wait to respray after the holidays ..just when it's good and cold, ya know.... BUT on a good note ....the Ole gurl won Best in class and placed 2nd over all...(sympathy vote, maybe..lolololol)..I felt like poo, but she didnt mind the win or the second over all.....Thanks once again and Merry Christmas to all

Uh, it is likely SMC, Sheet Moulded Compound. You can tell the difference by the fact that the back of the panel is smooth, like it was stamped in a mould. Fibreglass is very rough. Do not use conventional fibreglass resin with SMC, it will delaminate! You need to use SMC/FRP resin. It uses a different hardener... You can also use an adhesive for the repair... 3M, Fusor, Kent etc make them specifically for SMC and Fibreglass. Of note, SMC repair resins and adhesives can be used to repair fibreglass, but fibreglass repair resins cannot be used on SMC... no exceptions!

Good catch 66 b body4ever, most people usually affiliate the spiders with glass. The other thing the gelcoat is so thin that you sometimes just cannot regel without comeback of the same issues. If it is through all the gelcoat you're going to have to build back up before another coat of gel. Then spray you gel on.

that is a good call !!!! would of been like me repairing an Epoxy surfboard vs. a Fiberglass surfboard...2 different critters...anyway GREAT call....picked up 2 tubes of "Fusor" today...we'll give it ago, figure "worse case" sceniaro...I have to pay to have a REAL body guy do it...or spend the 500.00 + for another nose piece
$(KGrHqUOKpoE5,)!Hc)wBOcil)Kjiw~~60_35.jpg
we'll give it ago, figure "worse case" sceniaro...I have to pay to have a REAL body guy do it...or spend the 500.00 + for another nose piece...it'all work out...

Many GREATFUL Thanks to everyone !!!!!!!!
and Merry Christmas.

Good stuff Poppasmurf... use some reinforcing cloth in ares where you have cracks going all the way through. Don't leave even the slightest crack behind or it will show up again after the repair is complete... If you follow the Fusor directions you will have a good repair... smooth out all your edges when making your repair tapers!
Good luck.

I would drill a small hole at the end of some of the bigger cracks to keep them from spidering out.

Auto Transport Service
Back