• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body repair 68 coronet

Max lobato

Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys
Got my car back from in worse condition then it left in from a painter. The thought keeps crossing my mind to attempt the body work and paint job myself with 0 experience. Gota start somewhere.. i started sanding the car with 220 and 80 the bare metal spots that were welded up. Can i get anyones thoughts on the metal condition of the spot welds i see some small spots that seem like they were not filled in all the way. Is this ok or does it nees to be rewelded?

20200618_180540.jpg

Max, The car needs stripped to metal.
Not always but many times you will find large amounts of filler were it was never needed or just a fraction was needed compared to whats on it.
Plus you need to see the ugly so you can make your plans.

Take few moments to carefully inspect all repairs....run your hands all over these areas .... you’d be amazed how much that can tell you . Weld holes on body panels like that can cause huge later on...in a very short time

I agree with taking it all the way to metal. If any additional metal work is needed you will know. Get that corrected to the point that you have to use little to no filler. It may require welding, pulling, grinding and the use of body hammers and dolly's. Most old cars have enough metal thickness to easily get small areas back into shape. Once you have it to metal post pictures of your progress for additional information and help.

The other thing about this photo that is quite telling are the layers already on the car. Looks like it has three paint layers and three primer....that's a a lot.

I took my 68 Bee all the way to metal. The top layer of paint is only as good as the other layers underneath. The only way you can be sure is to go to the surface. If you have awesome and expensive paint on top but it’s depending on cheap, bad paint underneath to keep it stuck to the car that’s a bad thing. Mine had about 3-4 repaints stacked on top of each other. You can check my build thread to get an idea. With the help available on this forum along with YouTube you can do it!

Auto Transport Service
Back