• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body stampings?

Capt-Culver

Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
What's the deal with body stampings? I can barley see my numbers on the radiator support and trunk gutter. I mean I have to look and look for them. Other cars I've seen the numbers are clear as day. When I had the car blasted, I was afraid that numbers would be blasted off. Is there anyway to correct this and make them more apparent?

if you can still read them , then you are good to go ...you would have to take metal off to blast them off. these cars were moving right along down the assembly line and quality was hit and miss. workers were half drunk and not concerned how prevelant the numbers were stamped .

Last edited:
What's the deal with body stampings? I can barley see my numbers on the radiator support and trunk gutter. I mean I have to look and look for them. Other cars I've seen the numbers are clear as day. When I had the car blasted, I was afraid that numbers would be blasted off. Is there anyway to correct this and make them more apparent?

Those numbers were not stamped by hand but with an air powered tool. I don't know how you could blast them off. Mine are clear as day even after chenical stripping and much more paint coats than the factory ever put on.

where exactly are they located on the support? do you have to remove the trunk rubber to see them? and what is it the whole entire VIN or just last 7 numbers? Sorry for being dumb.

Not dumb, underexposed! Yes, they are read from the outside on the trunk gutter on the driver side about halfway back or more under weatherstrip. On the core support top yoke on the driver side facing top tank of rad.

Not dumb, underexposed! Yes, they are read from the outside on the trunk gutter on the driver side about halfway back or more under weatherstrip. On the core support top yoke on the driver side facing top tank of rad.

I agree with you on the rad support location, but on a 1967 Belvedere GTX it is not under the trunk weather stripping in the gutter. It is near the drivers side rear bumper bracket stamped in to the body sheet metal. I don't have a photo, but maybe someone else does.

Stampings

I agree with you on the rad support location, but on a 1967 Belvedere GTX it is not under the trunk weather stripping in the gutter. It is near the drivers side rear bumper bracket stamped in to the body sheet metal. I don't have a photo, but maybe someone else does.

Should the numbers on the core support match the VIN number inside the door on the post?? The number that starts with R?? Guess I am lost!!

- - - Updated - - -

Should the numbers on the core support match the VIN number inside the door on the post?? The number that starts with R?? Guess I am lost!!

- - - Updated - - -

I to was wondering if those stamps on the body were supposed to match the vin. There in the truck gutter drivers side and core support on 68 chargers.

'67 and prior: model year, assembly plant, spd & so number
'68 only: assembly plant, model year, 1st digit of the vin and so number
'69 and later: assembly plant, model year and last 6 of the vin.

'67 and prior: model year, assembly plant, spd & so number
'68 only: assembly plant, model year, 1st digit of the vin and so number
'69 and later: assembly plant, model year and last 6 of the vin.

The whole stamping on the rad support is not the vin. It is the vehicle order number made up of the production date and SO (shipping order number) The production date and SO should be the same on the fender tag, lower right ex. 525 06779, May 25th and the five digit random SO number. If they don't match, either the fender tag has been changed or the car has been re-bodied

Thanks for clearing that up for me!!! I was scared for a minute for sure. The core support number and fender tag number match on my 66 Hemi match!! Thanks!!!! -Rich

Thanks for clearing that up for me!!! I was scared for a minute for sure. The core support number and fender tag number match on my 66 Hemi match!! Thanks!!!! -Rich

Rich

You are quite welcome. I would be 99.9% sure it is the original fender tag and body. A tag coulbe made to match the rad support number but I doubt that is the case, but I would have a tag expert look at it in person to be sure.
Send your VIN to Chrysler Historical Service and they will send you a breakdown of the options and codes as well as the production date of your car. If your car is a 66 Hemi it is a rare car indeed. It is the first year the street Hemi was available. Would love to see some pictures.
Rob

Yes it has been decoded by Galen, I have the IBM card and all the documents and it is a numbers matching car. And according to Galen it is the only 66 4spd hemi satellite painted the color. So it is one of one according to him. It has had a total nut and bolt restoration with all the original sheet metal and still has less than 200 mile since it was done. I just like to ask questions and learn as much as I can about these fine autos, now days people will tell you anything and try to fake stuff. So the more I know the better for me. -Rich

My 67 Satellite is up on the rotisserie now. I took some photos of various stampings / part numbers - as requested. Body has been media blasted and shot with primer.

Drivers side rear bumper bracket:
IMG_2424-3_zpscf352413.jpg

Radiator support:
IMG_2438_zps7c585315.jpg

Side of radiator support:
IMG_2440_zps32b5a726.jpg

Plate under drivers seat - interior:
IMG_2445_zpsdba35f67.jpg

Package shelf:
IMG_2455_zpsb4e02330.jpg

Rear frame rail - drivers side:
IMG_2435_zps21cf7439.jpg

Rear frame rail - passenger side:
IMG_2434_zps7ca5db42.jpg

Trunk floor passenger side:
IMG_2442_zps88132d5c.jpg

Trunk floor drivers side - (was not media blasted - undercoating scraped:
IMG_2444_zps0a604929.jpg

Is there anyway to determine based solely on the numbers found on a radiator panel what a car is and what year? A9 13321 For example?

Auto Transport Service
Back