• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgeson steering box

OK, so

OK, so your original PS pump is leaking, not the actual Borgeson steering box, correct?
Nope the box is leaking like I originally posted. Just make note that if you’re using a Borgeson Power Steering Pump you may want to check how many shims is in it before you fire it up. After research I have found several people had to add shims or take shims out.

Nope the box is leaking like I originally posted. Just make note that if you’re using a Borgeson Power Steering Pump you may want to check how many shims is in it before you fire it up. After research I have found several people had to add shims or take shims out.

Yeah, Im putting in a newly restored saginaw pump.
I will first check the shims, though I dont know how many shims are correct?
Adding a pressure gauge into the system sounds like more money and mess....though maybe is the only way to be sure?

Yeah, Im putting in a newly restored saginaw pump.
I will first check the shims, though I dont know how many shims are correct?
Adding a pressure gauge into the system sounds like more money and mess....though maybe is the only way to be sure?
Maybe different steering boxes have different Max PSi settings, IDK, I didn’t ask that question. Maybe that’s the reason why some pumps have a different number of shims but Borgeson does know how much pressure each shim gives you in their pumps. The Borgeson pump I used looks just like a Saginaw to me, probably what it is. Don’t know the difference but I think those pumps had a round 1300 psi, maybe more with no shims. I remember reading all that info years ago. I think guys were adding shims to tighten up the steering on them old PS Boxes. This is what my valve out of the pump looks like to achieve 1200 psi. 1 shim and I think it’s the same for a Saginaw.

1D2E77A5-A189-4C7C-8596-604F2BAEDF53.jpeg

Ok thanks for the clarification. So Borgeson was not surprised? Did they ask you to send it back since their seal leaked or it's an easy repair?

Bummer. Hoping the one I bought 3 mo ago and waiting for install goes without issue...

The only way to really know what pressure your pump is putting out is to put a gauge on it. Adding, or removing shims, is just a guessing game. And yes, I've done that more than once.

You can build a pressure tester pretty cheap with an old hose, a gauge, a couple of fittings and a ball valve. I tried using the parts store loaner pressure tester once, but that POS leaked so bad it was totally useless.

Production tolerances when the pump is manufactured is one reason why some valves have more or less shims than another. That Borgeson Saginaw style pump, like virtually every pump and steering gear, are made in China now.

The only way to really know what pressure your pump is putting out is to put a gauge on it. Adding, or removing shims, is just a guessing game. And yes, I've done that more than once.

You can build a pressure tester pretty cheap with an old hose, a gauge, a couple of fittings and a ball valve. I tried using the parts store loaner pressure tester once, but that POS leaked so bad it was totally useless.

Production tolerances when the pump is manufactured is one reason why some valves have more or less shims than another. That Borgeson Saginaw style pump, like virtually every pump and steering gear, are made in China now.
I mean I guess you’re correct if you want to find out yourself but according to what Borgeson is telling me they know exactly what their pumps are putting out and a lot of older articles are pretty consistent with what a older rebuilt Saginaw pump for a big block put out. Again I asked them why some come with more shims and others and he didn’t have the answer. Obviously 3 shims in mine was too many and I didn’t have enough pressure. Taking out 2 did the trick and I also know a few companies make pre-made 1 shim Saginaw 1200 PSi valves. Assuming you don’t have a wore out pump.

Does anyone know how much fluid this system will take? I bought the kit from Bergman along with a cooler and wonder if 1 quart will be enough.

Does anyone know how much fluid this system will take? I bought the kit from Bergman along with a cooler and wonder if 1 quart will be enough.
I asked Peter this question last week and he said order 2 quarts. Sounds like need approximately 1-1/2 when using cooler.
I am getting ready to order the master kit, but worried about box leak problems and the need to change shims for pressure adjustment, this sounds strange to me. Not sure I’m liking the idea of this mod.

i installed the Borgeson in my 68 Charger back in 2014. IMO, it is the cats meow. I love it. I ordered it from Peter at Bergman Auto Craft. My Charger had the small pitman. (1 1/8") I believe the larger pitman arm came into play in around 1972. Peter would have that info for you. I also bought the direct fit coupler from them along with a custom hose set for my application since I am using a newer style PS pump.
You said your steering has gotten loose....Have you verified the mounting bolts are still tight? If someone else installed it, it could be they didn't tighten the bolts properly. Just a guess.
I too used Peter. He is the man. He asked me to send him a few pics, and he knew exactly what I needed. He usually has most parts in stock

Auto Transport Service
Back