• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgeson steering box

I re-installed the pitman arm today and the steering wheel seems way off from center. The bottom spoke is at somewheer between 4 and 5 o'clock to have the wheels pointing straight. It should be at 6 o'clock. Is this close enough that the wheel can be centered with the tie rod ends or do I have to remove the coupler from the input shaft and re-position it better?
I would pull it back up and move it at least two teeth to the right and try it again. Once you get it right, mark it with a center punch so you don't have to guess again next time.

Last edited:
The Pitman arm has 4 notches to it, meaning it fits 4 different ways on the steering box (out of the car) but only works one way with the steering box bolted in.

IMG_E9502.JPG

You can't just clock it a few degrees.
There have been instances where the steering box had to be shimmed to get the proper angle. The steering wheel itself can be removed and clocked, right? I have an aftermarket wheel so it is a LOT easier.

I think we are talking about the Borgeson coupler. That and the spine on the gear is the only thing not clocked. I had to move mine a couple times to get it right. A stock steering wheel and the shaft are clocked also.

I think we are talking about the Borgeson coupler. That and the spine on the gear is the only thing not clocked. I had to move mine a couple times to get it right. A stock steering wheel and the shaft are clocked also.
I have a stock woodgrain steering wheel with three spokes. The last time I took it off was many years ago, and I think Sixpack is right, it is clocked. The pitman arm is mounted correctly(I'm 99% sure of that). The way it's indexed, if I tried to change it, it would be waaaay off. My thought is to hopefully slip the Bergman coupler off the input shaft, make sure the wheels are straight, turn the steering wheel so the bottom spoke is as close to 6 o'clock as possible and re-attach the coupler to the input shaft on the steering box. Neither the Bergman coupler nor the steering gear are indexed so you can rotate the coupler any amount of splines in either direction. I followed the directions, and I thought I had the gear centered, but it obviously off, probably two splines. I'm hoping I can do that without the coupler coming apart again. That damn metal cover is a bitch to put back on.
The Pitman arm has 4 notches to it, meaning it fits 4 different ways on the steering box (out of the car) but only works one way with the steering box bolted in.

View attachment 1443230

You can't just clock it a few degrees.
There have been instances where the steering box had to be shimmed to get the proper angle. The steering wheel itself can be removed and clocked, right? I have an aftermarket wheel so it is a LOT easier.
It's not the angle, it's just not centered. My pitman has no numbers, so I don't know exactly which one I have, but it's worked fine for the time it's been there. Peter Bergman was very insistent that I did not shim the box, he claims his coupler is specifically designed to handle any offset. From center, the wheel turns almost exactly the same amount in either direction. It's off by essentially the amount it's off from the spoke centering at 6 o'clock.

20230401_204104.jpg

20230401_204158.jpg

Last edited:
Got the steering wheel centered. It was just a matter of straightening the wheels, marking the pitman arm and steering gear, the slipping the coupler off, centering the steering wheel and re-attaching the coupler. Finally, something went as planned. Now, the a new steering pump has a 5 1/2" pulley while the old one was 4 3/4" my old belt won't fit anymore so I have to pick up a new belt.

Last edited:
I re-installed the oil pump yesterday. Put some oil in a new filter, installed it, then filled the engine with oil. Today I'm filling the pump reservoir with PS fluid and refilling the radiator with coolant. If there's no immediate leaks, I'll being firing her up tomorrow!

Started the car today, didn't see any leaks. The oil pressure is now good, it must have been a problem with the old pump. The steering pump is squealing like a pig at either lock. BAD. The feel of the steering overall is much much better than the factory unit though, and the wild looseness is completely gone. I attached a video of the squeal. What do you guys think?

I am thinking it probably needs to be bleed some more. How is the fluid level?

I am thinking it probably needs to be bleed some more. How is the fluid level?
I think you may be right, it took less than 1 quart to fill the pump and it's supposed to hold approx 1 1/2 qts. Also, when I first fired it up, it was squealing like crazy as soon as I moved the wheel. That seemed to lessen as I worked the wheel back and forth. I'll leave it sit overnight with the cap off and see what happens.

Last edited:
that's similar to a squeal I would get if I had low fluid or a loose belt.
I agree, but the fluid is actually a bit too full, but I think there is a lot of air to bleed out. I sent Peter Bergman the video and he said it looks like the belt is too loose. He told me the belt should test at 130lbs at installation and after break-in 85-115lbs. I'll have the tester tomorrow and see what the tension is.

You are supposed to have the wheels off the ground and turn slowly left to right, right to left a few times.

Are your pulleys glazed and shiny? If they are they won't hold the belt and will slip an squeal.

You are supposed to have the wheels off the ground and turn slowly left to right, right to left a few times.
Yesterday I tightened the belts to spec on the PS/Crank/Water pump and AC/Alt./Crank. I also jacked up the front end, and slowly turned the wheel lock to lock a few times with the engine off. Today I had time to start the car and test the steering. No more squeal. I think it was a combination of the belts being a bit too loose and there was still a lot of air in the system that had been causing the squeal. Right now, everything seems cool.

Hey Kern, you are right about jacking up the car, I've already done this on my '77 Pontiac when I rebuilt the entire front end, including new ball joints, tie rod ends, center link, shocks, springs, idler arm, pitman arm, having my leaking steering box and worn out pump rebuilt by Steer & Gear in Columbus Ohio. I'm glad you reminded me, I had forgotten about that.

Yesterday I tightened the belts to spec on the PS/Crank/Water pump and AC/Alt./Crank. I also jacked up the front end, and slowly turned the wheel lock to lock a few times with the engine off. Today I had time to start the car and test the steering. No more squeal. I think it was a combination of the belts being a bit too loose and there was still a lot of air in the system that had been causing the squeal. Right now, everything seems cool.

Hey Kern, you are right about jacking up the car, I've already done this on my '77 Pontiac when I rebuilt the entire front end, including new ball joints, tie rod ends, center link, shocks, springs, idler arm, pitman arm, having my leaking steering box and worn out pump rebuilt by Steer & Gear in Columbus Ohio. I'm glad you reminded me, I had forgotten about that.
If it makes you feel better. Less than a thousand miles on my Borgeson and it’s leaking out the bottom seal by the pitman arm

If it makes you feel better. Less than a thousand miles on my Borgeson and it’s leaking out the bottom seal by the pitman arm
That's no bueno! Let us know if you find out the cause.

(I wish the bottom right click icons had an exclamation point "!!!")

They say misery loves company, but I don't like hearing that your Borgeson is leaking! I hope you can fix it without too much trouble.

What fluid are you using?
I tell you what sucks is after I got the complete Borgeson set up first in my car it didn’t want to turn at idle. So I had called Borgeson and talked to them. He told me to take some shims out of the pump. I found it weird that he told me some pumps have shims and some don’t. My pump had 3 shims and 1 washer so he told me to take out 2 shims and leave 1 and that would get me im thinking he told me at 1200 PSi and below the max limit of PSi. Put it back together and it started leaking but hey my car was now turning at idle lol. He told me my seal must have been bad from the get go and the higher pressure exposed it. He said my power steering fluid was good stuff and also said I can run any power steering fluid in it as long as it doesn’t have stop leak in it. I can fix it without taking the box out of the car.

654B9250-106E-414F-80BF-B3922C7042D0.jpeg

OK, so
I tell you what sucks is after I got the complete Borgeson set up first in my car it didn’t want to turn at idle. So I had called Borgeson and talked to them. He told me to take some shims out of the pump. I found it weird that he told me some pumps have shims and some don’t. My pump had 3 shims and 1 washer so he told me to take out 2 shims and leave 1 and that would get me im thinking he told me at 1200 PSi and below the max limit of PSi. Put it back together and it started leaking but hey my car was now turning at idle lol. He told me my seal must have been bad from the get go and the higher pressure exposed it. He said my power steering fluid was good stuff and also said I can run any power steering fluid in it as long as it doesn’t have stop leak in it. I can fix it without taking the box out of the car.
OK, so your original PS pump is leaking, not the actual Borgeson steering box, correct?

Auto Transport Service
Back