• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgeson Update

What oil do you use?
Quite sure to say your oil gets too thin once hot, either change fluid (depends on what you use atm) and/or add a cooler.
I used “ power steering fluid” from O’Reillys. Their brand. Any brand you like ?

I used “ power steering fluid” from O’Reillys. Their brand. Any brand you like ?
They recommend a GM style power steering fluid, check their site as it is mentioned somewhere.

I use Redline oil with a PS cooler. Oil stays cool. No noises either.

Interesting. Borgeson specifically recommends against Redline saying that it can foam. Maybe your cooler is helping.
I just got off of the phone with Borgeson Friday about my leak and they told me I can run any power steering fluid in it as long as it doesn’t have some kind of stop leak in it but In saying that I run this that O’reily sells.

ADA474FD-F367-41F3-A2A3-42818C3E0DC7.jpeg

The cooler did the trick. No issues with assist fading after use, and the fluid stays cooler. I used a Derale cooler P/N 13309. Inexpensive, compact, and it does the job. Comes with AN6 fittings installed.

BTW I have not noticed any strange noises (hissing, etc) coming from my Borgeson unit. Very happy with the conversion, and no leaks.

The cooler did the trick. No issues with assist fading after use, and the fluid stays cooler. I used a Derale cooler P/N 13309. Inexpensive, compact, and it does the job. Comes with AN6 fittings installed.

BTW I have not noticed any strange noises (hissing, etc) coming from my Borgeson unit. Very happy with the conversion, and no leaks.
This is great to hear. I got a Derale 13224 installed but other parts of the front end are still not done. I think it will work out great.

Hello all,

Just a month or so ago I installed a Borgeson power steering box in my '68 B-body. I retained the existing Saginaw power steering pump. The other day the weather allowed me to take it out on an extended cruise up and down a local mountain highway. The steering feel was more precise than the previous Firm Feel unit, BTW. Just before I got back home I noticed a reduction in power steering assist. Upon pulling into the garage I checked the temperature of the power steering pump, and it was nearly 200 degrees.

It dawned on me that some folks noted a loss of power assist if the fluid gets too hot. I also recalled that Borgeson recommends a power steering cooler. I had thought this might only be necessary if I did autocross or something of that nature. Clearly that was a wrong assumption. So I have a universal style cooler on order and will install it in the return line from the box to the pump; I would expect this to solve the problem.

Just an FYI for those who might think they don't need a cooler.
I used the full Borgeson kit with their pump. I burned my hand on the pump and thought I brushed against a header tube. If I recall, the infrared gun indicated close to 240 degrees Fahrenheit. I got this cooler from Summit and machined a small bracket, currently the pump body shows 175 degrees on a warm day and a long drive.IMG_0040.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back