• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a pretty clean '66

Some more crank paint. I wonder what it all means?

View attachment 1221911

View attachment 1221912

Leftover paint from the rear end?
i-dont-know-smiley-emoticon.gif

:fool:Some hippy flower child built the car from the factory,If it bothers you,send it to me.I will thank you for it.

Looking at those colors, that rear end got ALL the gear ratios! :thumbsup:

What part # is on your oil pan?

The oil pan was replaced with this repop, which looks like a 68-69 Hemi pan. Don't know the reason why? There was no windage tray either. I had heard that the 66 pans had a smaller capacity; is that true? If so, maybe that's why it was replaced.

IMG_1915.jpg

I've rebuilt plenty of engines in my day & I've never seen a painted crankshaft. Has anyone else seen one?
As warranty was limited on the hemi,maybe this is a replacement under warranty n they used the paint to vertify this.Just a guess not sure??

I've rebuilt plenty of engines in my day & I've never seen a painted crankshaft. Has anyone else seen one?
I’ve seen small splotches at times on all different manufacturers, but nothing as big as those.

I'm sure you would mention a maltese cross. May a shift change? A frustrated artist?

Check outside face of counterweights. Under size journals #5 main and 5/6 and 7/8 rods.
acrank.JPG

WT is water test. I have the same stamp on my 66 361. Why, I don't know.

IMG_20210228_121432.jpg

Read a little more about the Water Test. One theory is that they may have seen some sort of flaw, so they pressurized it to check for leaks. Mine turned out to have a casting defect in a valve seat, and some obvious grinding in the chamber. That could explain the WT.

IMG_20210122_104027.jpg

As warranty was limited on the hemi,maybe this is a replacement under warranty n they used the paint to vertify this.Just a guess not sure??
According to the previous owner, my crank was replaced under warranty. I haven't had the pan off to see if there's any paint on it.

The oil pan was replaced with this repop, which looks like a 68-69 Hemi pan. Don't know the reason why? There was no windage tray either. I had heard that the 66 pans had a smaller capacity; is that true? If so, maybe that's why it was replaced.

View attachment 1222069
Mine is 5 qts, so 6 qt oil change with the filter.

Auto Transport Service
Back