• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a pretty clean '66

Believe 4 6 is engine assembly date. BH =66 hemi. 17th engine assembled. Maltese Cross undersized crank.

Here's mine for comparrison. Looks like they were assembled 2 weeks apart.

20161110_105109 (2).jpg

The latest project over the last couple of weeks, and hopefully the last, was to replace the infamous 3/4 race cam with a stock street Hemi cam. The 3/4 cam would idle around 1,400 in neutral and when put in drive would barely idle at 800, so funk that.

I was able to pull all the lifters without removing the intake, so that was one less step and while it was apart, I painted the intake manifold with the correct 1966 Hemi orange. I patina’d up the intake with sone 50 year old engine filth which disguises the gloss orange nicely. Now it idles at 800-850 rpm and drops about 100 in drive.

FD9513D3-6B55-4226-9A90-6A73786D4184.jpeg

Looks good and probably far better around town too. I think it was good to take the heater hose bracket off too as I don’t remember seeing that elsewhere. Does the car still have its stock torque converter as far as you know?

Did you do the cam swap in your shop by yourself?

Looks good and probably far better around town too. I think it was good to take the heater hose bracket off too as I don’t remember seeing that elsewhere. Does the car still have its stock torque converter as far as you know?

Yes, it has the stock converter

What did you do for cam break in Mark?

I liberally coated the cam lobes, bottoms of the lifters & the fuel pump lobe with this goop....

6ABADD89-A82A-4EC4-A8CB-582ACB3E72AD.jpeg

I also squirted in the Comp Cams cam break in lube. Once it started & I got basic timing done, I let it run on a high fast idle for about 20 minutes. How many miles do you think I should put on it before I change the oil?

Did you do the cam swap in your shop by yourself?

Yes, all by my lonesome. C'mon man, I am more than just a pretty face.

Usually 500 miles on the cam break on. Try and do the same rpm as the initial 2,000-3,000rpm vary the speed. Idle as little as possible fire it up and drive it.

Paint OK stamp on the inside of the trunk lid.

8AEA0AA6-943F-4DF1-BE44-ED730C7CE4B4.jpeg

Can’t read this one. Anyone know what it is?

F118FC08-AF21-4E5E-BAA3-9461B30D0527.jpeg

Love this car. All your pictures will help me out with mine. Keep it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back