• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brad Penn vs ZR-1

terzmo

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
Been using Brad for years...no issues..pricey though....Valvoline ZR-1 claims "high" zinc. What's the experiences out there...flat tappet cam...not a roller

Valvoline VR1 is high zinc and many use it for flat tappets (including me) without issue.
People will recommend the non fully synthetic version.

Either will work well with a flat tappet camshaft. Whatever oil you use just make sure it has plenty of zinc. You could also use a zinc additive to oils with lower zinc content. I use synthetic blend Mobile and add the zinc additive. JMO 440'

I've used Penn, VR1 and Driven oils, all without issue - and yes, I've wiped a cam before
(Comp Cams) using straight full synthetic. Doesn't take long, either.
Gotta have the ZDDP (zinc) and phosphorous, preferably without synthetic base.

Isn't all Valvoline a Full Synthetic? I'm looking at the 10w 30w. It's easier to access around here and I've always liked the product but seems to me the 10w 30w was Full Synthetic.

It's not recommended to add additive to a already formulated oil.

VR-1 conventional 10w-30 here for years without a problem.

Used VR-1 since break-in. 600 miles into it with zero issues so far.

Isn't all Valvoline a Full Synthetic? I'm looking at the 10w 30w. It's easier to access around here and I've always liked the product but seems to me the 10w 30w was Full Synthetic.

The VR-1 specifically is a conventional oil with 1300ppm zinc and 1200ppm of phosphorus. Info is direct from Valvoline website.

Screen shot of test results and I'm seeing the different VR-1
20200801_132835.jpg

I’ve never used an oil additive. My thinking is if you use the right oil to begin with you don’t need any additives.

I’ve never used an oil additive. My thinking is if you use the right oil to begin with you don’t need any additives.
What they don’t tell you is the newer shelf oil has too much detergent and it fights your zinc additive.

Buy the right oil and forget the additives. Will be cheaper in the end.

Mobil1 ain't VR-1. Just sayin'.
You're right, Synthetic vs. Conventional, but both with a comparable amount of zinc. I personally like the conventional.

Penn, Gibbs or VR1 will all work. Why change what works in your application?

Auto Transport Service
Back