• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brad Penn vs ZR-1

Not saying its for everyone. But as a young guy my mopar big and small blocks lived on 10 - 40 weight , plenty of zinc ect in those days. Q state , DX , Castrol , ect.
I run Shell Rotella 15-40 now with lucas zinc additive. At cam break in I did use brad penn 10-30 break in oil. 1st oil change back to my old Rotella and lucas additive.
I like the fact at 200* it still feels like oil instead of water.

Price and availability.
For 5 quarts, difference is about $10. Summit has them all available to ship. For something as critical as engine oil, I try not to skimp. But I have used all 3 without issue but prefer Gibbs HR10w30.

I just watch for a sale on Amazon and stock up. This batch was $24 a case.
IMG_0710.JPG

But I have used all 3 without issue but prefer Gibbs HR10w30.

Why? (just asking)
I've used all the above except Mobile 1 and Gibbs. Mobile 1 might not be appropriate for flat tappet cams (personal opinion) and I've just never tried Gibbs.
I've kinda settled on the green stuff: Brad Penn (now PennGrade)

Bryand

Some have trouble getting the rings to seat with Penn,maybe different cylinder wall finishes? Some engines will smoke with it. Gibbs is good oil.

You're right, Synthetic vs. Conventional, but both with a comparable amount of zinc. I personally like the conventional.
Yes. Again - for flat tappet, conventional with zinc and phosphates. For modern roller type engines (like my two 5.7
vehicles), I run Mobil1. Always have in everything new I've owned since the mid 80's.

Why? (just asking)
I've used all the above except Mobile 1 and Gibbs. Mobile 1 might not be appropriate for flat tappet cams (personal opinion) and I've just never tried Gibbs.
I've kinda settled on the green stuff: Brad Penn (now PennGrade)

Bryand

Talking with a guy in the oil industry. Had good things to say about it, didn't have much experience with Penn and said that the VR1 lacked detergent packages and required more frequent changes.

Have been using Brad Penn 10-40 for years..love the clingability...is that a word?

Talking with a guy in the oil industry. Had good things to say about it, didn't have much experience with Penn and said that the VR1 lacked detergent packages and required more frequent changes.

Maybe with the (Not Street Legal) racing VR1. It's stated in their specs. Also refer to post #11

Auto Transport Service
Back