• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Booster Help

62 Dart Convertible

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi All

My brake booster leaks vacuum so I want to repair/replace it. I had a mechanic friend re-sleeve my original single master cyl. some time ago, and at the time he suspected the booster and master cyl. did not really belong together (probably because of the number of washers and several gaskets installed between the booster and master cyl.) From what I've seen of other 62's and in the service manual, my booster does not look original. Can anybody tell me the facts here?
Pics of my booster -
my booster 1.jpgmy booster 2.jpg

I have concluded it's better value to order a complete reco booster and master cyl. from Cardone (through Summit) as even with core charge and shipping, it's still better value than getting mine done here. Problem is I'm not 100% sure as to which is the correct one, as they list 2 models for 1962 B-body that are similar but different.

Cardone list this one for a 62 Dart as -
Part Number: 50-3533
w/5 3/8" Push Rod To Center Line Of Eye
62 Dart booster.jpg

Cardone list this one for a 62 Polara as -
"Part Number: 50-3547
w/10" Rear Brakes and w/4 3/4" Push Rod To Center Line Of Eye"
62 Polara Booster.jpg

Looking at the pics, I suspect the 5 3/8" pushrod model is correct for me, but I would love to know why the other length pushrod exists.

Anybody got a handle on this?

Yours looks correct to me. Here is the man for all things booster.
http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

I have a core I could sell to you and send in to save expense to ship to Oregon. ( from a 63 )

I would have to measure the rod to confirm the lenght debate for you.

Thanks for the links and the offer.

I would love to know -

Who manufactured these boosters, and which style if not both were original to 62's?

Why are there 2 lengths of pushrod when a Dart and Polara are basicaly the same car?

Auto Transport Service
Back