• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake pedal replacement

66four40

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Have a '66 Belvedere that was a standard, then converted to an auto. Previous owner just tucked the clutch pedal under the carpet and stuck a new column in it. I want the proper pedal so bought the proper brake pedal which came with the under dash bracket as well. Hoping I don't need to rip out that bracket. Wonder if anyone was experience with this task?

Have a '66 Belvedere that was a standard, then converted to an auto. Previous owner just tucked the clutch pedal under the carpet and stuck a new column in it. I want the proper pedal so bought the proper brake pedal which came with the under dash bracket as well. Hoping I don't need to rip out that bracket. Wonder if anyone was experience with this task?
You shouldn't have to rip out the bracket as you have two places to hang the pedal. Ha ha! Thing you really have to take into account is the alignment of the brake booster/master to the position of the brake pedal arm. If you don't wish to install the new bracket, the brake arm will have to be modified to position the wider pedal over a bit. I've seen brake pedal arms heated and bent and even lenghtened to accomodate the wider brake pedal if you have power. You could just remove the clutch pedal completely and remount a new pedal on the existing brake arm but again it will be more to one side.

Auto Transport Service
Back