• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brighter head light or head light H-4 conversion

skylinekiller

Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
1973 Charger 400 AT 727

I need to find a brighter sealed headlight beam or an H-4 conversion kit. Does anyone know where I can find either one?

Does anyone have a good site for the tuff steering wheel kit?

Lastly, I have aftermarker headers on and when I turn the wheel, the shaft binds on the headers in a certain position. It's frivable, but you can feel the vibration when it hits. My shaft is bent?? Any place to get this shaft or steering coupling?

Thank you for your help, sorry for the questions. Just trying to get this through Japanese inspections...

you need to take a llok in the members resto section my buddy waygun hooked me up with a conversion kit you should pm him for details. cheers

they make halogen replacement bulbs in that design,as well as silverstars and such.prob cheeper then a convertion.anyplace from pepboys to autozone should be able to get them.steering couplers(or rebuild kits)you can get at many sources.ebay,mancini racing and many more.just rotate the steering shaft once you have the coupler off to see if it is bent.

Bruzilla,

WHen you used these, did you order the same for both High and Low beams? Did you notice any voltage drop or engine surge from the extra power being used?

If your not worried about it looking stock you could make your own harness with dual relays. It really makes a big difference even with the stock headlights. The factory harness looses a good deal of voltage due to age. The factory wiring is too thin and does not allow enough current to flow. A thicker guage wire really makes a difference. Even aftermarket headlights can benefit a lot from being re-wired.

^^^this and a good ground as well, if you can ground the harness straight to the neg batt if your battery is still in the front, if not they sell isolators for the firewall and run a neg cable to the fire wall then run a like a 4ga from the harness to the isolator. It helps the lights too, makes them a little bit brighter.

Bruzilla,

WHen you used these, did you order the same for both High and Low beams? Did you notice any voltage drop or engine surge from the extra power being used?

I would love to tell you, but I'm about two weeks from installing them. :(

I just did multiple wiring changes as well as lots of headlight searching.
Seems there are basically 4 types of "headlights" out there.
1. Conventional Sealed Beam- Basically incandescent bulb
---An incandescent light bulb is a glass tube filled with gas, with a wire filament inside it. When the light bulb is illuminated with electricity, the filament becomes hot and gives off light. As the filament burns, the byproducts evaporate off it and deposit on the inside of the glass tube. When the filament has burned down to a certain point, it either breaks or simply disappears, and the light bulb burns out.
2. Halogen Sealed Beam - Still same housing but halogen bulb
---A halogen light bulb is also an incandescent light, but the gas in the tube is halogen and the filament is made of tungsten. Again, when the light is on, the filament gets hot and begins to burn, but the halogen gas captures the evaporating tungsten and deposits it back on the filament. Thus a halogen light bulb will last quite a lot longer than the average incandescent bulb.
3. H4 Halongen Bulb w/housing
--This is the standard Halogen headlight you see as a replacement for most newer vehicle.
4. New technology LED, Projector, HID and the likes

As a starting point I would establish which bulb you currently have installed. You can see by looking at the bulb filament. IF is a small little filament its not halogen...if its a big glass assembly its a halogen or see if the bulbs actually say halogen on lens........from there

A simple upgrade to Sealed Halogen might suffice.
Autozone H5006/H5001 Extravision Halogen http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...ihzg?itemIdentifier=954192&_requestid=1556362
Oreilly H5006/5001 Sylvania Halogen
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...arch_headlight_1240658_3128&keyword=headlight
Just look for the 5001 or 5006 but make sure its a halogen.

I highly recommend before ANY H4 conversion is done UPGRADE your wiring. The standalone H4 bulbs use lots more juice, exceeding design of current car.
Sealed Halogen is around 30-40 watts where an will be upwards or 100 watts.Lots more current required to the lights.
Check out this link!!!!!!
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

My 73 had a 16g (20AmpMAX) for High and 16g(20amp) for low and 16g(10) ground ties in . Keep in mind that all this power factory routed through switch as well as harness, fuseblock, and bulkhead connectors. Each of those were split out to right and left side daisy chained throught the headlights...Bear this in mind when you look at adding draw from higher wattage lights since these cars are notorious for melting wire, connectors and plastic from the FACTORY. For the headlights to get power it has to run through the whole harness and they get power at the far end of the line. They see a voltage drop at the headlight thus changing your output lumens(brightness).

I upgraded to relays and fed the high and low relays with a 10g (100A)direct from battery with circuit breaker (30A) in between. Output of my power relays to the headlights were all 12g(60A) also including the ground as a 12g upgrade as well. I set the system up for a later H4 bulb upgrade. So essentially I tripled the current handling of the circuit and eliminated voltage drop since the headlights are fed from the battery (via relay) instead of through the whole harness. The headlight switch now only provides coil voltage to the relays. So instead of the switch handling 20-30 amps is now handles 25-75 milliamp . Heat and current wear out your switches....Both are gone now. Also that original headlight current draw is no longer running through the bulkhead and harness lowering the heat on those wires.

If you go through this hassle. Crimp, solder, and seal it. Make your connections clean and by all means get proper connectors and associated crimper.
Basically my lamps are far brighter, wiring far safer.
P1010018.gif

P1010016.gif

I went with a full conversion. Couldn't see a damn thing on the road at night with the original sealed beams. Most importantly, I want to BE SEEN by other these days! The way they cut you off and such, they think every car out there has ABS brakes!

Attachments

• i3348.jpg
    i3348.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,022
Its a little humerus when i think that not to many years ago, some of us hear remember that dim lights were the normal, We just didn't think like we do now because thats all we had each time we were out at night Not that we didn't complain some about them.. I guess the new cars of today has us or some thinking "how did folks drive way back then" lol.. Im doing the same upgrades with the lights myself and ill be a bit curious of how well these work.. very good subject!

I put the halogen bulbs in a few years ago and it made a huge difference. I did not notice any voltage issues. I added several grounding straps long time ago and never did have the dim light thing that seems to happen. I bought mine at napa.

Another approach to reworking the forward light harness;
DSC01859r.jpg

DSC01858r.jpg

DSC01861r.jpg

Yah your install is far cleaner than mine. If I had a pretty engine bay and nice paint I think I would have strived for a cleaner look for sure. I actually thought about mounting the relays where you had....For one I could see that its possible for a large battery to come into contact with the relays and either crush or just general vibration wear. Two I found under the batter tray its hidden a bit more. And based on time that I drive it plus relay failure it not a big deal to access them in the event of a failure.

Part 1

Automotive lighting is my professional field. I do research and writing; regulatory, technical, and product development consulting, sales, and I serve as an answer man on the subject for various groups and associations. I am the General Editor of the automotive lighting industry technical journal.

The first issue that needs to be worked around is that the amount of junk and bad info completely overwhelms the amount of good info and good lamps on the market. All of it, junk and good stuff alike, is marketed and hyped as an "upgrade". Most of it is, at best, different but not better than the original lamps. Most of it is different and objectively worse than the original lamps. I am not going to make a pitch for anyone to buy anything from me here; I firmly believe that the most important thing is to get proper, technically sound, factually correct information out there. Then people can make an educated decision to buy headlights from me or anyone else who sells good lights, or they can choose to disregard the facts and go buy bad ones from any of the many vendors who sell them.

So first, some education. To see well at night requires good headlamps equipped with good bulbs and fed by good wiring.

Sealed beams

There are very few decent sealed beam headlamps, and none in the 5¾" (quad round) size. All of Sylvania's and Wagner's sealed beams and most of GE's are poorly-focused junk, made on decrepit tooling that should have been scrapped and replaced several times over. The problem is there's no money in doing so; the sealed beam market is too small to make back the investment in new tooling any time soon, but too large to drop the products entirely. The way the US/Canadian regulations are written creates a loophole for makers to continue producing lamps that might have complied with the regulations when the tooling was new, but no longer comply. This may eventually be fixed when the regulation is rewritten, but for now that's how it is. The only sealed-beam headlamps worth buying are the GE Night Hawk items, and there's no Night Hawk sealed beam in the small round size. The Sylvania Xtravision "upgrade" is an out-and-out scam; they are no different at all from the regular Sylvania H5006 and H5001 small round sealed beams (the rectangular and large round Xtravision sealed beams are different than the non-Xtravision equivalents, but are not good). And even if you buy NOS halogen sealed beams made when the tooling was still in good condition, you're not getting good headlamps. When halogen technology was introduced for headlamps in Europe in 1962, the European industry used the extra efficiency of halogen vs. regular tungsten bulbs to increase the amount of light on the road and improve beam focus. Wattage was increased slightly.

But when halogen technology was introduced for headlamps in the US in 1979, the American industry used the extra efficiency of halogen vs. regular tungsten bulbs to reduce the power draw of the headlamps, allowing them to use lower-rated switches and thinner wire to save a few pennies per car built. Headlamp performance was kept just above the legal minimum requirements on low beam. For example, the non-halogen #4000 5¾" sealed beam had a 60w low beam filament and a peak intensity of 25,000 candela. The halogen #H5006 5¾" sealed beam that replaced #4000 has a 35w low beam filament and a peak intensity of just under 18,000 candela, which is 28% less light. The light from the halogen sealed beam is somewhat less brownish, but there's a significant amount less of it. Result: still a legal headlamp (when they were being made on good tooling) but objectively not as good as before.

HID (Xenon)

There is only one legitimate Xenon headlamp in the 5¾" round size. It's the XE-5R shown here. Some fairly substantial bucket modification (sheetmetal cutting) is required for them to fit, and they are costly, but they are made by an OE supplier. Quality, performance, and safety are all quite fine.

All the other offerings of "Xenon" headlamps in this size are junk from China and/or not as described. They are either low-quality halogen lamps with blue-glass bulbs (more info below), or low-quality halogen lamps with an "HID kit" installed or included. "HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps or fog/auxiliary lamps (any kit, any lamp, any vehicle no matter whether it's a car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See here for more info on that subject.

LED

There is a set of good full-LED headlamps in the quad round size, and they're even made in America. But boy howdy, will you ever spend money for 'em (figure about $450 each)! Also, bucket mods required. They're here.

Halogen

Most people are most likely to skip the high-dollar HID and LED options and shop for a set of halogen replaceable-bulb upgrades. Shop carefully and be skeptical; there's a ton of off-brand junk on the market, there are a lot of wrong-side-of-road headlights being brought in to appeal to the kids who drive Hondas and think anything meant for the Japanese market is obviously better, and even if you stick to the reputable brands worth buying (Hella, Bosch, Cibie, and a few others that are effectively impossible to get), there is a large range of performance among them; they're not all the same and neither are they priced alike.

H4 lamps
H4 was the world's first 2-filament halogen high/low beam headlight bulb, introduced in late 1971. Most people who think of headlight upgrades for sealed-beam cars think of H4 lamps. There are dozens (at least) of brands and lots of varieties, including ones with window-clear lenses and jewelled reflectors, blue-dot and red-dot items, tri-bar items, angel-eye units, etc. Here again, most of what is available must be rejected right out of hand if you're actually driving at night. Even if you look only at legitimate headlamps, H4 lamps (of any manufacture) in the 5¾" round size are not very efficient, because with H4 (any H4 bulb in any H4 lamp), only 55% of the total reflector and lens area is used to collect and direct the light for the low beam, because of the low beam filament shield inside the H4 bulb which is how the low beam cutoff is created. That's OK if you have a large lamp (the larger 7" round for example), but with small lamps like the quad rounds, you really can't collect much light from the bulb -- only just enough to meet the minimum requirements. Good quality H4 lamps in this size put a fair amount of light on the road surface right close to the car, which creates the feeling of "better" headlights, but they don't put enough light down the road where you actually need it for safe driving at realistic nighttime speeds. A higher-power bulb doesn't change this; it's a limitation of small H4 lamps.

But if you don't do much night driving and need to keep the cost down, a quality pair of H4 lamps—Cibie, Bosch, or Hella are the only brands you should look at, and I list those in order of descending performance; Cibies are best—equipped with thoughtfully selected bulbs and aimed correctly, will give a broader beam coverage than the sealed beams.

If you do much night driving and/or have to contend with bad weather, get the Hella BiFocal H1 low beams, which were co-developed by Hella and BMW. They are harder to find than common H4s, and Hella doesn't officially import them to North America, so I bring them in from Germany. They're much more efficient and better focused than anybody's H4 in this size, because the whole reflector and lens area is used to collect light, and the optics are newer and optimized to do just one job very well (low beam) rather than compromised to do two jobs (low and high beam through the same lens). Beam coverage is very broad and even, down-the-road seeing light is intense for a long seeing distance, and control of glare and stray light is very precise so when they're aimed correctly you get excellent seeing without blinding other drivers (including cops who might react extra-badly). Vastly better performance than the sealed-beam junk _and_ vastly better performance than any H4 conversion -- a substantial upgrade from the sealed beam lamps' dim, narrow tunnel of light with no side spread and excessive upward throw that causes backglare in bad weather, and likewise a substantial upgrade from the H4 lamps' relatively meager beam performance.

High beams are easy; use parabolic H1 units. Cibie makes the best ones; Bosch and Hella are OK. Even if you decide to use H4 lamps, don't use H4s in all four buckets. The high beam mode of an H4 lamp (or a high/low sealed beam) provides close-range width and fill light; the distance reach on high beam is provided by the dedicated high beam unit.

Part 2

Wires and relays

Factory headlamp wiring is specified to be only just adequate (more than that costs extra money to build into the car!). It drops a lot of voltage even when new; it's long lengths of thin wires running through iffy firewall connections and tiny, high-resistance contacts in the headlamp on/off and high/low beam switches -- and wiring and switches do not improve with age. Whatever headlamps you install, put in headlight relays and decent-gauge wire to bring full power to the lamps and take the workload off the in-car switches. None of the original wiring has to be cut, removed, or otherwise molested, and the switches keep working normally.

Bulb output is not linear with voltage input, it's exponential to the power 3.4, so small voltage drops mean large losses in light output ( and a dingy brown light color...this is what those blue-glass "whiter" bulbs are trying to cover up. :roll: ). An additional advantage of this mod is that it keeps all the headlamp current on the engine side of the firewall, reducing the load on your ammeter. See here and articles on Allpar here and here. The photos of the headlight beams on the road in both articles are very poor (it is almost impossible to take a useful picture of a headlight beam), but the text is very descriptive and accurate. Relays and good wiring will make even cruddy old sealed beams burn brighter.

If you choose to put in BiFocal lamps (or other single-filament low beams), you need to set up your headlamp circuit to leave the low beams powered when you switch to high beam mode. This is not the case with any factory setup on a car with quad sealed beam lights, but it's easy to set up.

Bulbs

Quality really matters. Stick to Osram, Philips, Narva, or GE bulbs, and always only ever buy bulbs with colorless clear glass. The blue glass "extra white" bulbs are a scam, a nonstarter as far as seeing better is concerned. Sylvania Silverstar/Ultra, PIAA, Hoen, BlueVision, CrystalVision, TruView, Nokya, Polarg, etc. -- all the same racket. They produce less light than ordinary bulbs and have a very short life due to the light blocked by the blue glass. All it does is change the beam color, which doesn't help anything (except arbitrary appearance fashion/style). Xenon and halogen headlamps are two completely different technologies. They look different because they produce light differently. The bluish tint of HID lighting isn't a benefit (despite the baseless "closer to natural daylight" marketing claims), it's just an artifact of how the light is made. Trying to match the color of a Xenon headlamp with a halogen bulb is pointless and counterproductive. It'll never look the way you want it to, and in the meantime all you're doing is wasting money, reducing your seeing ability, and creating glare. The "whiter light" and "high kelvin" verbiage that's being
used to sell lighting is without basis in fact. All of the so-called "extra white" bulbs use blue or purple glass to tint the light. This does not make the light "whiter", but it does make it significantly less intense; the colored glass steals a great deal of light that would otherwise reach the road (this is obvious if you think about it; colored filters can only block light, they cannot increase it). There is no seeing advantage to so-called "whiter" light from bulbs with colored glass; in fact such bulbs put you at a distinct seeing disadvantage because of the reduced intensity. In addition, these bulbs have a very short lifespan because the filament must be driven very hard to get minimally legal levels of light through the light-stealing colored glass. If you are trying to see better, what you need is more (properly-distributed) light, which will
look whiter because there's more light (not because it's tinted to try to fool you into thinking there's more).

Additional relevant post is here (focusing mainly on 7" single-per-side large round headlamps).

Auto Transport Service
Back