• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broke my 7UP Pop Machine today....

If your painter doesn't feel that he can match the color exactly, it might be worth painting the whole side of the car.
Promised myself I'd never get into a restoration on this car... and once we start spreading out where do we stop LOL... but I do have NOS Plymouth decals if it gets out of hand.. :lol:

Everything that I think we'll need for the door (and then some) is ordered, including a new VIN sticker for the door from ECS. That's the first ~3 grand spent for Hagerty... I have ZERO deductible on my policy.

Sorry to hear this. Glad you’re ok. Like others have said, it could have been much worse.

Everything that I think we'll need for the door (and then some) is ordered, including a new VIN sticker for the door from ECS. That's the first ~3 grand spent for Hagerty... I have ZERO deductible on my policy.
The first thing you need to fix is the shifter.

I've shared this story before but here it is again;

Back in 1983 during the dead of winter in West Germany, I was stationed on a mountain top among a ring of 28 launchers holding I-Hawk missiles. I was in the motor pool pulling an all night shift because the site operated 24hrs and needed repair support for the launchers and loaders vehicles. So, around midnight I ventured outside in a raging snowstorm, at 3800 ft, to trudge uphill to the ready room for coffee and a snack. It's only a few hundred feet so I didn't wear all of the heavy clothing that I should of. I got there okay and back too. While I was unlocking the door to get into the motor pool the hair on the back of my neck suddenly stood up. I had that feeling that something was behind me. I turned to my left, into the raging blizzard of snow and found myself looking at a 5 ton wrecker that had rolled towards me out of the gloom. The front bumper hit my left hipbone and pinned me to the door with my right arm behind me. I was stuck. As it turned out, the driver had not set the parking brake, either the mechanical or the air, and the truck was in neutral too. The wind pushed it down a slight incline towards me. So, there I was with a huge truck pinning me to the door. I theorized that if I managed to twist to either side the damn truck would roll forward and crush my ***. Or, maybe I couldn't get loose. I had to decide what to try and in a hurry as I was unprepared to be outside for long in that storm, the MP's were huddled on their guard shack 100 feet away upwind and wouldn't hear me shouting for help. Same deal in the other direction. After what seemed like 10 minutes, but was really only 20-30 seconds, I decided to try to twist away and dodge the bumper. I had decided to duck under the thing as it came forward. I decided that I would rather have my head crushed and die than have my legs crushed and live if I tried going up instead. I reasoned that I was already stiff and cold and leaping UP was not likely to be easy in such a state. I gathered my courage and twisted to the left, dropping like a stone under the front bumper. After a second or two I realized the truck had moved only an inch or so. What? WTH?
Come to find out in the morning that the trucks front axle pumpkin had been only an inch away from hitting the safety bollard in front of both sides of the roll up doors. I moved and the truck stopped as it hit the concrete bulge of the bollard.
The driver who last drove the truck got an article 15. I got a lot of x-rays and bruises. That left hip is now sore with arthritis in my old age., lol.
If that incline had been just a little steeper I would be in a wheel chair.

Wayne we just got back from up north and saw the update. looks like things are going in the right direction. All the best, get well soon.

Unbolted the bottom of the fender and threw a block in there to hold it out, so I could swing the door in without making fender contact. Think I made the correct call that the shell of the door and lower hinge is a tad pranged and needed more than just a door skin. Also found a small crack in the fender edges paint..a quick flip at it has the paint blend going a tad further...

superbirdbentdoor 037.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 038.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 039.jpg

Last edited:
Saw this a few days ago and couldn't respond, mostly I felt sick after seeing it & have avoided the thread since... Good to see you scored on the glass for your 7up machine & Hagerty seems to be getting you taken care of.... More importantly you seem to have dodged any serious damage to yourself ...
If you wind up needing a couple window guide H's PM me, I have a few originals stashed..

Are you able to open the door all the way? Hows the shell ?

If that 7up machine had been a beer keg
fridge...oh the humanity....
Just kidding of course. It's always
heartbreaking to see ones work efforts
damaged in an instant. Glad you're OK.
Had a friend meet his demise due to the
exact circumstance.
The car can be fixed as well as your pop
machine. Be thankful you're still breathing.

I'm thinking she was getting a little deprived of attention and the 7bitch pointed out to her that you were having a good time with HEN$teeth!
show us the arms fall colours.

I'm thinking she was getting a little deprived of attention and the 7bitch pointed out to her that you were having a good time with HEN$teeth!
show us the arms fall colours.
She had no business doing that Don... was the last car I drove and we left HENS2TH behind!
familycarcruiseoct12022 173.jpg

Are you able to open the door all the way? Hows the shell ?
You miss the part with the door fully folded back. What saved the fender is the door skin front edge bottomed against the lower hinge and held up good enough to buckle the door but not damage any fender metal.

Last edited:
You miss the part with the door fully folded back. What saved the fender is the door skin front endge bottomed against the lower hinge and held up good enough to buckle the door but not damage any fender metal.

I did miss that part. Have you located another door? There are a couple folks this way in Alberta that have alot of car parts. Another was Black eagle out of Great Falls Montana. Nice dry parts.

Gotta love a Wife that's willing to drive 7 hours to pick you up a piece of plastic. Still can't believe that I found it for sale...
20221017_191557.jpg
20221017_191607.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back