• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broke my 7UP Pop Machine today....

ECS rerunning my decal to move the 11/69 up a titch. Was told that's the best they have on fonts, as they don't have every variation covered. Told them Dave wouldn't be thrilled....

Appraiser in and out this morning in 50 minutes. Allowing for "book" hours and paint to pull nose, fender, wing, back bumper, fit door and paint entire side of car as well as a new NOS Plymouth decal (that thankfully I bought 2 years ago on spec for my parts shelves from @moparsaver). He said "about 4 hours to re and re the nose" and I just laughed and said try two days.

No reason that I can see to struggle with the nose to get a fender off, if that's really even necessary. Back quarter could use a touch up anyhow.

Now to see when my parts show up, then I can get everything test fitted and then see when my painter can squeeze me in ahead of someone... like he did to me on my Bee!

My thoughts of painting the whole side wasn't far fetched after all.

giphy.gif

only way to avoid painting the side is to have left over paint from the original job....solid colors only
Don't think we're gonna track down that 35 year old can...

For those that HAVE done it... can I remove the wing in one piece with two people vs splitting it in 3 parts??

Now if I could just find my NOS wing base gaskets, I know they're here somewhere as I THINK I remember buying them 32 years ago....

Last edited:
ECS rerunning my decal to move the 11/69 up a titch. Was told that's the best they have on fonts, as they don't have every variation covered.
They...they don't have the right font? Really, for one of the big three automobile makers. What do they have fonts for then?

Back seat out, arm rest, door card and trim all coming off.
superbirdbentdoor 193.jpg

Door to bare metal. If you look close you can see the dip primer line half way up.
superbirdbentdoor 203.jpg

All to get the forkin fake scoop nuts!
superbirdbentdoor 202.jpg

Fake scoop off.
superbirdbentdoor 208.jpg

Filler wedge has to come off.
superbirdbentdoor 206.jpg

2 screws on top and two pal nuts underneath.
superbirdbentdoor 222.jpg

Casting company, chrysler logo and vender ID#.
superbirdbentdoor 223.jpg

Part number 3571113 LH for the filler
superbirdbentdoor 226.jpg

I took it off carefully to make sure the mounting posts weren't going to snap off.... at the body shop.
superbirdbentdoor 229.jpg

Catwhiskers coming off.
superbirdbentdoor 211.jpg

First bolt I've removed from a car that had me terrified. Steel coming out of aluminum generally doesn't end well. More than one use for your trolley jack handle...they were that tight. The allen key jammed into the rubber handle hole works very well!
superbirdbentdoor 273.jpg

Bolts ready to pop, so I call my faithful assistant on the intercom.
superbirdbentdoor 285.jpg

Yes dear..
superbirdbentdoor 288.jpg

What did I do....
superbirdbentdoor 290.jpg

If you can't laugh, you'd fuckin cry !
superbirdbentdoor 291.jpg

My new F18...
superbirdbentdoor 297.jpg

One upright down...
superbirdbentdoor 312.jpg

The money Chrysler spent on castings for this stuff. This is all aluminum, not fiberglass.
superbirdbentdoor 323.jpg

Marker lights both out, door off, 2/3rds of the wing gone.
superbirdbentdoor 325.jpg

The pile gets bigger.
superbirdbentdoor 338.jpg

Last edited:
Really appreciate the details, not that I have a bird but nice to see the work that it takes to doing I correctly.

No dust on your shoes, hope your parts show up soon. :thumbsup:

The weather has been phenomenal, nice to work with the door still open..Looks like we get another week! Winter is long in a closed shop when your use to working outside all day!
the aluminium casting,that probably cost them $10. wonder if anybody has a parts catalogue with pricing from that era.
thanks for the education, I mean who has actually seen the inside of one of the struts before!

The weather has been phenomenal, nice to work with the door still open..Looks like we get another week! Winter is long in a closed shop when your use to working outside all day!
the aluminium casting,that probably cost them $10. wonder if anybody has a parts catalogue with pricing from that era.
thanks for the education, I mean who has actually seen the inside of one of the struts before!
Maybe @dadsbee can leave something inside as a time capsule.

SO SO SO Pissed off that I broke my 7UP pop machine today and I'm very fortunate that it appears my arm isn't broken, but it sure is battered. As for the rolling stomach want to puke feeling, I guess there's always Hagerty Classic Car Insurance!

Car dropped into reverse just as I stepped out to make sure she was far enough in to close the overhead door... like I've done a 100 times before. Pinned me hard to the 7UP machine as the door folded back and I was lucky that with the other arm I was able to rock the car forward enough to release my pinched arm and turn off the car.

Mint 57,000 mile door is fawked, skin and shell. Glass doesn't go up or down and is jammed, hinges are bent.. etc.. etc. Only good, it didn't ding or even paint chip the fender... although with today's paint selection a paint match for just the door is just a dream.

I'm amazed the door glass didn't break, jammed right into my pop machine enough to break the plexiglass and destroy the lamp ballast module and it's mount housing behind same.

I need a mint door and hinges for replacement or I guess an AMD complete shell. I've been told they're actually pretty good other than needing some minor gap correction to fender and upper cowl profiles. Told the internals for glass, latch, lock etc all fit quite well. Oh... and one of those "bogus" ECS VIN Decals to boot.
View attachment 1356328View attachment 1356329View attachment 1356330View attachment 1356331View attachment 1356332View attachment 1356333View attachment 1356334View attachment 1356335
Superbird Bob for the hinges. [email protected]

Gotta love this women.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: She’s a keeper For Sure!! Glad to see the arm is feeling better Wayne. As usual… You are not wasting any time. I can send a nose cone seal and 1 or 2 more quarter decals free of charge if you’d like… Just say the word.
50A01F13-E892-4716-8081-959CACEFD4A0.jpeg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: She’s a keeper For Sure!! Glad to see the arm is feeling better Wayne. As usual… You are not wasting any time. I can send a nose cone seal and 1 or 2 more quarter decals free of charge if you’d like… Just say the word.
View attachment 1367786
A very generous offer Tom and while I'm not expecting it for free I should take that seal just in case they f mine up or get paint on it and decals are always nice... :lol:

A very generous offer Tom and while I'm not expecting it for free I should take that seal just in case they f mine up or get paint on it and decals are always nice... :lol:
Consider it done my friend. :thumbsup: I’ll message you the tracking on Saturday, I snuck in here on me lunch hour Lol.

Thanks Tom... you're one of the good'ns that make it fun to hang out around here!!!

Last edited:

Tom should have given them to me so I could sell them you. That way, all three of us would be happy.

As the old saying goes, "The more, the merrier!".

al-bundy-thumbs-up.gif

LMAO.. I somehow knew you'd be right along! Claiming you were the fun guy! Sorry to cut you out on the deal Mark... LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back