• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broke my 7UP Pop Machine today....

The rare one winglet Bird ! Snow every day for the next week is forecast, so she's turned around ready to load in the trailer if I can get the door internal test fitting all done. Right now I've made such a mess I have no where to do said work... hopefully by mid day tomorrow.
shopcleanupcarsnov52022 180.jpg

Bolts in the winglet holes so the braces and "wing washer" in the trunk don't move during transport and body shop work.
shopcleanupcarsnov52022 183.jpg

The rare one winglet Bird ! Snow every day for the next week is forecast, so she's turned around ready to load in the trailer if I can get the door internal test fitting all done. Right now I've made such a mess I have no where to do said work... hopefully by mid day tomorrow.
View attachment 1371886
Bolts in the winglet holes so the braces and "wing washer" in the trunk don't move during transport and body shop work.
View attachment 1371887
Try working in a 2 car garage.

Lowes has them on easy payment plans.
The problems are zoning with varients, township hearings on such, building permits (even for already built garages)THEN there's PROPERTY TAXES!! Life in the northeast, SO, move SOUTH young man

Last edited:
don't forget enviromental assesment, required for a "rebuild" when water is 350' away
that's the biggest crock of **** money grab ever

don't forget enviromental assesment, required for a "rebuild" when water is 350' away
that's the biggest crock of **** money grab ever
I refer to those A holes as the "Constipation Authority" after my 2 year battle with them locally.

Maybe, just maybe, I can get this back on track...

Have my "clean bay" back and can get to test fitting everything into the new door shell starting tomorrow. I'm going to take pattern templates off the old door, in the fender/cowl gap area, so the new door can be checked or corrected to factory "incorrect". Also need to make a pattern for the upper hinge adjuster holes and then cut the upper one out... as someone at AMD was having an off ******* day! Other than that the new door shell looks purdy spiffy! Sure looks better than the old one. Only thing I noticed quickly that looks to be a bit off on the new AMD shell is the lock rod hole seems way to close towards the window, but I'll see how the chrome ring sits in the hole. Hopefully we don't have to move it inward and weld it up to correct.
superbirdbentdoor 419.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 421.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 422.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 424.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 425.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 426.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 428.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 430.jpg
superbirdbentdoor 432.jpg

I'm curious about the weight of the original door and the new one, are they close? looks like there is some difference in the shape at the A pillar but that's likely hidden by the trim anyway!

Does the new door have the reinforcing in it like 70 should?

I'm curious about the weight of the original door and the new one, are they close? looks like there is some difference in the shape at the A pillar but that's likely hidden by the trim anyway!
Neither is light! I can put them on a scale, but both appear identical in metal thickness. Not sure what part of the door you're saying would be hidden by trim...there's no trim on the doors.
Does the new door have the reinforcing in it like 70 should?
Door shells are sold as 69/70. Not sure what reinforcing you are referring to. I haven't noticed anything different inside the original door compared to my '69 Bee door.

Neither is light! I can put them on a scale, but both appear identical in metal thickness. Not sure what part of the door you're saying would be hidden by trim...there's no trim on the doors.

Door shells are sold as 69/70. Not sure what reinforcing you are referring to. I haven't noticed anything different inside the original door compared to my '69 Bee door.
1970 had a reinforcement for side impact that 68 and 69 did not have, maybee someone with more knowledge on this will chime in.
Take a good look in your yellow door.

1970 had a reinforcement for side impact that 68 and 69 did not have, maybee someone with more knowledge on this will chime in.
There are no side impact reinforcements in either OE door. Nothing but a spray of sound deadener coating..
superbirdbentdoor 062.jpg

Although the NHTSA rules regarding side impact protection were issued in 1970 (Vehicle Safety Standard 214) they didn't take effect until Jan. 1, 1973 and many models of cars didn't comply until that date.

Auto Transport Service
Back