• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broke my 7UP Pop Machine today....

Not sure what part of the door you're saying would be hidden by trim...there's no trim on the doors.

I was thinking the pillar trim covers the top forward corner of the door where it curves down to cowl. if you think the metal is same gauge that's what I was wondering, just thinking maybe the aftermarket tooling might not be capable of stamping as heavy gauge!

Not sure what part of the door you're saying would be hidden by trim...there's no trim on the doors.

I was thinking the pillar trim covers the top forward corner of the door where it curves down to cowl. if you think the metal is same gauge that's what I was wondering, just thinking maybe the aftermarket tooling might not be capable of stamping as heavy gauge!
If I ever make it to the shop like I'd planned today I'll weigh it and put the vernier on it somewhere to check. So far I've been sucked in to going to pick up used kids play centers and then a funeral this afternoon. Now it's snowing hard.. might get lost in the blizzard walking to the shop!

Lock pull hole on original door.
superbirdbentdoor 469.jpg

Lock pull hole on reproduction hole. Will have to see how the chrome bezel and window sweeps sit to determine if it needs to be moved inboard and then welded up a tad.
superbirdbentdoor 470.jpg

Original door skins of course spot welded to the interior shell. Nice wide overlap flange.
superbirdbentdoor 472.jpg

Reproduction door skins MIG'd in place. Will need to be dressed/cleaned up before paint.
superbirdbentdoor 473.jpg

Side by each for a full comparison. Then I have to test fit every original door piece before I deliver the car and door to Body by Biggs.

Upper hinge bolt hole is missing on the new door shell and it appears the one that they did punch is too close to the outside of the door. Threaded "bolt" plate that is behind said holes seems to be in the correct place... so it should all work out.
superbirdbentdoor 476.jpg

Pattern off the door at the A pillar and windshield cowling area.
superbirdbentdoor 486.jpg

Damn close on the reproduction.
superbirdbentdoor 487.jpg

Need to dolly the area up a bit where the window frame slides in, as it needs to be straight and that'll bring the "detent" up into place.
superbirdbentdoor 490.jpg

Original is nice and straight.
superbirdbentdoor 492.jpg

Reproduction dips down... SHOULD be an easy adjustment.
superbirdbentdoor 493.jpg

Lock pull hole on original door.
View attachment 1372817
Lock pull hole on reproduction hole. Will have to see how the chrome bezel and window sweeps sit to determine if it needs to be moved inboard and then welded up a tad.
View attachment 1372818
Original door skins of course spot welded to the interior shell. Nice wide overlap flange.
View attachment 1372819
Reproduction door skins MIG'd in place. Will need to be dressed/cleaned up before paint.
View attachment 1372820
Side by each for a full comparison. Then I have to test fit every original door piece before I deliver the car and door to Body by Biggs.

Upper hinge bolt hole is missing on the new door shell and it appears the one that they did punch is too close to the outside of the door. Threaded "bolt" plate that is behind said holes seems to be in the correct place... so it should all work out.
View attachment 1372822
Pattern off the door at the A pillar and windshield cowling area.
View attachment 1372823
Damn close on the reproduction.
View attachment 1372824
Need to dolly the area up a bit where the window frame slides in, as it needs to be straight and that'll bring the "detent" up into place.
View attachment 1372825
Original is nice and straight.
View attachment 1372826
Reproduction dips down... SHOULD be an easy adjustment.
View attachment 1372827
It's nice that you have the original door to compare the two. I feel bad for folks who don't have an original and potentially discover many of these errors later on.

It is wonderful that we even have this reproduction sheet metal, but it still goes to show that there is nothing like the original material.

It's nice that you have the original door to compare the two. I feel bad for folks who don't have an original and potentially discover many of these errors later on.

It is wonderful that we even have this reproduction sheet metal, but it still goes to show that there is nothing like the original material.
I have built a few cars, but I have seen more metal pieces of cars than most on this earth ever hope to. I have seen hundreds of doors, fenders with antenna holes off location to know that is flat out a mistake in production that someone just let go. We have shipped thousands of door, fenders, you name it, back to vendors or scrap them and back charge. That's just crap quality control and wrong. Like the hinge location, it's not brain surgery, it's quality control and if you don't like it, try to buy it somewhere else type of thinking. Not fair and sad!!

Cleaning up and radius'ng corners.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 001.jpg

A tad closer to factory shape.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 004.jpg

Test fit of the vent window A pillar attach bracket.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 011.jpg

Test fit of the vent window A pillar attach bracket.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 012.jpg

$32 for these POS reproduction ferrules. Pressed flat, not domed like the original on the pencil.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 018.jpg

Making sure all the notches are in the correct place for the window sweeps.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 024.jpg

Window sweep in place and ferrule loosely in the lock pull hole. It'd work, but I can make it a tad better I think.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 029.jpg

Rear glass track test fit into place.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 034.jpg

Unibit to hog the lock pull hole a tad inward on the door panel.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 037.jpg

Now I can get the ferrule centered. That'll look fine once it all goes together and no need for any welding. Need to find an OE ferrule though, as these repros are junk.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 038.jpg

Weird but the only mirror hole they put in the door exterior skin was for the remote control. I have to drill for the mirror mounting stud and screw
superbirdbentdoorpt2 040.jpg

Control head actually fits through.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 041.jpg

Interior has the hole for the allen screw access for the vent frame. Needs the hole for the mirror remote knob
superbirdbentdoorpt2 043.jpg

Need to take a pattern off this for the mirror mount and transfer it to the new door.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 044.jpg

New door with hole for mirror remote only
superbirdbentdoorpt2 045.jpg

Hours of measuring, and comparing. No wonder it says "test fit everything before paint, painted items cannot be returned" on the box!
superbirdbentdoorpt2 048.jpg

OE door height 23&15/32nds
superbirdbentdoorpt2 047.jpg

Reproduction door 23&21/32nds. 3/16 taller than the OE. Probably meets original factory tolerances!
superbirdbentdoorpt2 053.jpg

It'll fit, now I have to figure out hinge placement to make that a 100% true statement.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 054.jpg

Door card and stainless trim test fit.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 057.jpg

Last edited:
On the OE door the top hinge slots inner ends line up perfectly with the lower hinges outer edge of the slot.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 059.jpg

You can see the misalignment of inner parts and punched holes, and the missing upper hinge slot all together.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 061.jpg

Hinge hole slots marked for correction and existence!
superbirdbentdoorpt2 065.jpg

Hopefully I've got adjustment needs covered.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 070.jpg

Doors top edge to windshield cowl profile tweaked to the pattern I made yesterday.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 068.jpg

New hinges test fit.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 074.jpg

OE hinges coming off and new ones going onto the A pillar so they're ready for George to test fit the door for body and paint.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 077.jpg

2 bolts inside and one outside on top and bottom hinges. Kick panel removed previously to access.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 079.jpg

Both new hinges in place and lightly snugged.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 089.jpg

Next up, test fitting the door latch.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 091.jpg

Last edited:
Screws didn't line up on the new door, so it's pattern time again.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 094.jpg

New door is close, just needs a lick off the opening beside the 1/2 circle/slot.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 095.jpg

Fit check on the door key lock tumbler.
superbirdbentdoorpt2 098.jpg

Amazing... something else fits! LOL
superbirdbentdoorpt2 097.jpg

Last edited:
Check the position of the lower body line from the fender to the door & the door to the quarter...

1668484909221.png

Inner shell was obviously spot welded together, I wonder why they chose to mig weld the outer skin on?

Weird but the only mirror hole they put in the door exterior skin was for the remote control. I have to drill for the mirror mounting stud and screw
View attachment 1373363
Control head actually fits through.
View attachment 1373364
Interior has the hole for the allen screw access for the vent frame. Needs the hole for the mirror remote knob
View attachment 1373365
Need to take a pattern off this for the mirror mount and transfer it to the new door.
View attachment 1373366
New door with hole for mirror remote only
View attachment 1373367
Hours of measuring, and comparing. No wonder it says "test fit everything before paint, painted items cannot be returned" on the box!
View attachment 1373368
OE door height 23&15/32nds
View attachment 1373369
Reproduction door 23&21/32nds. 3/16 taller than the OE. Probably meets original factory tolerances!
View attachment 1373370
It'll fit, now I have to figure out hinge placement to make that a 100% true statement.
View attachment 1373372
Door card and stainless trim test fit.
View attachment 1373374
That extra height should fix the big door to rocker gap these cars have. If it is too tight you have to grind the door bottom until it fits...then weld it up, not my favorite fix but about the only way. Sometimes you have to do the front and back of the door too.

I'm sure George is happy your addressing all these little issues and not passing it off to him to make it right! Your patience and diligence will make this thread a valuble resource for anyone trying to fit a repop!

Nearly all repro parts are never 100% correct.
New cars in the 60's where never right, there was no such thing as perfect. There was no need to worry about quality, people bought them anyway. Water leaks, wind noise and carburetor adjustments were a problem. Lead was a big deal and the guys doing it got 20 cents a hour more for a job that kept them busy. Bondo was corporately band from being in the building by the mid 80's because they couldn't be trusted not to use it. Door fitters got 20 cents an hour more also, to beat and hang on the door to make it fit. The first thing to be beat on was the door striker post. On a post car a guy would put a knee in the middle of the door and pull on the window frame one way or the other to close or open the gap at the roof, a huge wind noise area. I know for a fact, that a few early to mid 70's van coming out of Fenton had bondo on the insides on the wheel wells from calves stomping on them while they were being transported by a guy that would take an overnighter home to move calves and hay. A 16-count indictment at one point charged that some of the cars were damaged in accidents, but were given only cosmetic repairs - ignoring such problems as a bent frame, which might not be readily detected by buyers -and then sold as undamaged new cars. Chrysler countered that all damaged cars had been ''fully repaired.''

Chrysler was indicted on charges of fraud for disconnecting the odometers on at least 60,000 cars used by its executives and then selling the cars as new, without the accumulated miles showing. My boss was the poor bastard that was the first to be busted for this in 1987. He was always taking home a fifth Avenue as an overnighter and was busted the next morning coming to work for speeding, when asked if he knew how fast he was traveling, here we go folks, the magic sentence that started the whole thing, no officer, we don't connect them till they leave the plant!!! We cleaned up our act, no we didn't, we hooked up the clusters, we just replaced the whole cluster before shipping. Chrysler defended the odometer practice as a ''legitimate quality assurance program'' in which cars, selected at random, are driven by employees to test for defects. I used vans from the plant all the time to go on vacations, from one end of this country to the other all the time. To be honest, the long haulers were crushed. Have you ever driven a new van and when you're done you got to crush it, I have and you have no idea how much fun it is to drop a new van from 17 feet in the air off a fork truck or running the forks through the front taking everything under the hood out of the game. Talk about a good time, oh well as they say, and the rest is history. The stories are endless and I could write a book.

So while you are hanging that door, you have to remember that these cars were meant to be disposable, we made them live on.

Ground out the latch pocket a tad.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 002.jpg

Fits perfect now. I just hope it's in the right location in general.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 006.jpg

Cleaned this ugly up a bit and then remembered that area has a seal.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 008.jpg

Seal covers it nicely.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 009.jpg

Gave more thought to the windows rear channel/track fitment. Thought I'd better look at how it fit the OE door. Nice clear path for the window to slide in and out.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 011.jpg

Put the track back in the reproduction door... glass ain't gonna go in there!
superbirdbentdoorpt3 013.jpg

OE track mount slot location. (Original White car showing itself..)
superbirdbentdoorpt3 020.jpg

Reproduction slot is over a 1/4" lower in the pocket.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 021.jpg

No choice but to hog it out and will probably need to weld in the production slots lower edge some.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 023.jpg

Now the glass can actually go in and out.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 027.jpg

Doesn't look too bad with the bolt in and the track blocking the gaping hole.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 029.jpg

Took a profile off the reproduction door to check body line. Spot on to the OE door.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 034.jpg

Locating the remote mirror control head hole for drilling. 2.5" over from the Allen key hole and centered on the flat face
superbirdbentdoorpt3 036.jpg

3/4" Unibit to the rescue.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 041.jpg

I set the door up in place and took a shot to show how nice the profile matches the fender. Hard to hold and take a picture, but I didn't scratch anything... lol
superbirdbentdoorpt3 044.jpg

Rear of door to quarter panel is a perfect match. Thank God something is correct...
superbirdbentdoorpt3 047.jpg

Door handle and lock tumbler test fit.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 049.jpg

Pattern off the OE door for the mirror mounting stud and screw.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 069.jpg

Transfer to new door.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 072.jpg

Holes drilled and mirror was put in place to check I got it right.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 074.jpg

Last edited:
Time to trial fit the vent frame and door glass.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 076.jpg

Almost forgot the lower track "foot" post from the old door.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 080.jpg

Track foot post out of the OE door.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 083.jpg

Where it goes.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 085.jpg

Allen keyed socket head screw and it's attachment block.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 087.jpg

Drops in here to hold the vent frame.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 088.jpg

Vent frame and door glass going in as an assembly.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 090.jpg

Top bolt hole punched too high up the door. Can't get a socket on the forkin bolt.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 094.jpg

Another grind to fit, making sure I leave enough for the cover plug to hide it.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 099.jpg

Perfect.
superbirdbentdoorpt3 102.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back