• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buckles from seatbelt solutions open under tension

Diz TheFiddler

Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
I got 3 point belts for my 68 coronet from seatbelt solutions. I noticed by looking at the design of the buckles (pictures) that they are not form fitting. The anchor is just held by a spring loaded ramp. Under tension, this ramp is pushed up and the buckle opens. I tried it.

I contacted my dealer, who contacted seatbelt solutions. They said this is normal. I'm no seatbelt expert, but I cant imagine a situation where a seatbelt buckle should open, other than you want to unfasten it. So why dont they just design them form-fitting, like the original ones? They dont open under tension, because they cant due to their design.

Any opinions, suggestions....?

Anker-min.jpg

Schnalle-min.jpg

Makes zero sense. If what you say is true I do not see how they can sell them. Send them back and buy something that works.

I suggest YOU call them What you are claiming does not sound right.

When it comes to testing, Seatbelt Solutions has followed the lead of the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). We have well-established relationships with all of them, and we are the exclusive nationwide distributor for one of them, which means we had to meet their high standards to be selected. We have toured their facilities and worked with their engineering teams. The OEMs know and understand seatbelt safety better than anyone. We have replicated the OEMs test procedures and equipment at our facility. Our test facility has a "G" Force Machine, Tilt Lock Testing Machine, Webbing Abrasion Tester, Salt Spray Tester, two Tensile Machines (44482.216152548, kN, 10,000 lb. and 22241.108141273, kN, 5,000 lb.), and a Retractor Cycling Tester. Seatbelt Solutions is very fortunate to be located in Palm Beach County, where a large number of companies have downsized or moved their operations, leaving behind some of the best engineers. They come from companies like Pratt & Whitney, Motorola, United Technologies, and Sikorsky, to mention a few. Seatbelt Solutions tests to the most current FMVSS 209/302 certification. We have also started 208 testing (sled or crash testing like you see in commercials) for our most popular products. A lot of other seatbelt companies talk about safety, but here at Seatbelt Solutions we have fully committed to testing and guaranteeing product safety every day. We are the only aftermarket seatbelt manufacturer that will provide current test results on the products you purchase from us. You won’t find a company and staff more dedicated to making safe seatbelts then Seatbelt Solution

Look at the pics. Its totally obvious that they open under tension and they do. So what is you explanation for this design?

Look at the pics. Its totally obvious that they open under tension and they do. So what is you explanation for this design?
I cant say anything as I do not have the part in my hand. So I do not see or can duplicate what you are saying. Reading what they claim you would be mistaking. Again I suggest YOU call them. No way would a company be selling a product like that. The liability would of put them out of business in multiple ways.
(866) 904-BELT (2358)
15835 Corporate Road N
Jupiter, FL 33478-6422

I suggest YOU call them What you are claiming does not sound right.

When it comes to testing, Seatbelt Solutions has followed the lead of the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). We have well-established relationships with all of them, and we are the exclusive nationwide distributor for one of them, which means we had to meet their high standards to be selected. We have toured their facilities and worked with their engineering teams. The OEMs know and understand seatbelt safety better than anyone. We have replicated the OEMs test procedures and equipment at our facility. Our test facility has a "G" Force Machine, Tilt Lock Testing Machine, Webbing Abrasion Tester, Salt Spray Tester, two Tensile Machines (44482.216152548, kN, 10,000 lb. and 22241.108141273, kN, 5,000 lb.), and a Retractor Cycling Tester. Seatbelt Solutions is very fortunate to be located in Palm Beach County, where a large number of companies have downsized or moved their operations, leaving behind some of the best engineers. They come from companies like Pratt & Whitney, Motorola, United Technologies, and Sikorsky, to mention a few. Seatbelt Solutions tests to the most current FMVSS 209/302 certification. We have also started 208 testing (sled or crash testing like you see in commercials) for our most popular products. A lot of other seatbelt companies talk about safety, but here at Seatbelt Solutions we have fully committed to testing and guaranteeing product safety every day. We are the only aftermarket seatbelt manufacturer that will provide current test results on the products you purchase from us. You won’t find a company and staff more dedicated to making safe seatbelts then Seatbelt Solution
I called seatbelt solutions tech department and the "technician" said he has no idea why they designed the buckles like they did because the buckle design is older than him. And he cant get a technician who knows what he is talking about. Than he hung up.

The worst company i ever had on the phone!

I called seatbelt solutions tech department and the "technician" said he has no idea why they designed the buckles like they did because the buckle design is older than him. And he cant get a technician who knows what he is talking about. Than he hung up.

The worst company i ever had on the phone!
Then send them back.

I cant say anything as I do not have the part in my hand. So I do not see or can duplicate what you are saying. Reading what they claim you would be mistaking. Again I suggest YOU call them. No way would a company be selling a product like that. The liability would of put them out of business in multiple ways.
(866) 904-BELT (2358)
15835 Corporate Road N
Jupiter, FL 33478-6422
"technician" on the phone said they have people calling because of this issue every day and he tells them the same thing every day. The buckles pass their tests, but he cant say why they are designed like this.

You definitely dont want a seatbelt you can pull apart with your bare hands.

"technician" on the phone said they have people calling because of this issue every day and he tells them the same thing every day. The buckles pass their tests, but he cant say why they are designed like this.

You definitely dont want a seatbelt you can pull apart with your bare hands.
Send them back and your problem is over.

Then send them back.
I will!

P.S.: I didnt write this thread to annoy you. I just wanted some feedback and warn others against this crappy product. Seatbelts are a little more important than e.g. a carpet.

Insane. You would be better off using a cable tie colored to match your interior of course… Lol thanks for warning us about their product..

Insane. You would be better off using a cable tie colored to match your interior of course… Lol thanks for warning us about their product..
I made a video of me pulling it apart 3 times with a little effort. Unfortunately i cant upload it here.

The hours and hours I was held captive at TRW in Detroit.. watching our stuff endure sled test after sled test to prove that it wasn't our **** that failed and get paid vs sued !

The hours and hours I was held captive at TRW in Detroit.. watching our stuff endure sled test after sled test to prove that it wasn't our **** that failed and get paid vs sued !
Im no native english speaker. I didnt really get your point.

Are you working for seatbelt solutions and were watching tests at TRW? What did you mean with get paid vs sued?

Im no native english speaker. I didnt really get your point.

Are you working for seatbelt solutions and were watching tests at TRW? What did you mean with get paid vs sued?
38 years in injection moulding making them, TRW, parts. The first, in 1985, being the inaugural plastic seat belt locking gear for GM. We overmoulded plastic onto metal seat belt tongues as well for many years. I actually had a regular hotel and generally the same room in Detroit, as we got called so often to watch **** fail. Thankfully it was NEVER our "link" in the chain.

No belt buckle should release under tension, PERIOD. Not even at 8 g's !

38 years in injection moulding making them, TRW, parts. The first, in 1985, being the inaugural plastic seat belt locking gear for GM. We overmoulded plastic onto metal seat belt tongues as well for many years. I actually had a regular hotel and generally the same room in Detroit, as we got called so often to watch **** fail. Thankfully it was NEVER our "link" in the chain.

No belt buckle should release under tension, PERIOD. Not even at 8 g's !

Thank you for your answer. Im in car development myself and I honestly thought "if I only knew a guy who was involved in testing seatbelts, because maybe there is a situation where the buckle should open". But yeah, I cant think of any such situation.

After reading this I had to go out and check the ones I bought from Seat Belts Plus.

Here's yours...
Anker-min.jpg

Seat Belts Plus...
20240123_150400.jpg

It appears to me when they deburred and polished them before chrome plating they went a little overboard and rounded the edges too much.

After reading this I had to go out and check the ones I bought from Seat Belts Plus.

Here's yours...
View attachment 1597026

Seat Belts Plus...
View attachment 1597027

It appears to me when they deburred and polished them before chrome plating they went a little overboard and rounded the edges too much.

The reason why they release under tension is the design of the buckle. Please take a closer look at my second picture. I marked the spot on the buckle, that engages with the anchor, with a red circle. It is a ramp that is spring loaded. If you pull anchor and buckle apart, the pressure on this ramp pushes it up and releases the buckle. It would be the same thing with your anchor.

The reason why they release under tension is the design of the buckle. Please take a closer look at my second picture. I marked the spot on the buckle, that engages with the anchor, with a red circle. It is a ramp that is spring loaded. If you pull anchor and buckle apart, the pressure on this ramp pushes it up and releases the buckle. It would be the same thing with your anchor.

I have the aviator style. In comparison it's about the same mechanism. This is in the open position. Believe me I placed all the weight I could on it and it held.
20240123_150505.jpg

I have the aviator style. In comparison it's about the same mechanism. This is in the open position. Believe me I placed all the weight I could on it and it held.
View attachment 1597030

I cant tell 100% from this perspective, but Im pretty sure its the same design as mine. You have to pull really hard. Try it with a jerk. If you pm me your email adress, i can send you the video how i pull them apart.

Auto Transport Service
Back