• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buckles from seatbelt solutions open under tension

that’s the China way of getting rid of Americans. That’s why the belts suck and don’t function properly I stick to my original post just get original buckles and have them restored and install new webbing.

you are right, I will do the same. Im just a guy wants to know how things work and why they fail if they do. obviously there are a lot of people who just believe what they are told and ignore the most obvious.

Now attach the force buckle and the force anchor points to a solid point and pull directly apart. You should have a way of measuring how much force it takes to make it release. Report back when you have the facts.

I tried it again with the same result.

Wow. Bad design. I work for the company that made many of the Mopar seatbelts in 60’s and 70’s. We only do aircraft now. But…the square buckle design from American Safety are still in use on a lot of aircraft applications. We test the heck out of these … 20g sled tests are not uncommon.

pulling the connector out of the buckle in that video should not happen. are there tags on those belts? if so do they have An FMVSS number on them? If not do not use them.

Wow. Bad design. I work for the company that made many of the Mopar seatbelts in 60’s and 70’s. We only do aircraft now. But…the square buckle design from American Safety are still in use on a lot of aircraft applications. We test the heck out of these … 20g sled tests are not uncommon.

pulling the connector out of the buckle in that video should not happen. are there tags on those belts? if so do they have An FMVSS number on them? If not do not use them.

Yeah, i noticed the original buckles are form fitting. No chance to release them with tension without destroying them. And it would take unbelievable force to achieve that.

They have just 0421 stamped on the inside of the buckle. So, "FMVSS" should be stamped in too, right?

This is very valuable info. Thank you!

FMVSS 209 is the automotive test spec for seatbelts. If they meet that they are always maeked. Usually on a cloth printed tag sewn to the seatbelt webbing.
if not marked they are not tested to that. May or may not meet but why risk that.

38 years moulding for TRW and Bendix seat belt divisions, Magna, Window Motion and many others.. 1985 to 2023. Only thing ever stamped into a metal tongue was the lot number and the odd time the part number!

plasticparts 006.jpg

FMVSS 209 is the automotive test spec for seatbelts. If they meet that they are always maeked. Usually on a cloth printed tag sewn to the seatbelt webbing.
if not marked they are not tested to that. May or may not meet but why risk that.

Of course I will not use the seatbelt solution belts. I just wanted to know.

Auto Transport Service
Back