• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build Thread for my 68 Coronet R/T Convertible

I would have liked to show you around. I try to get people to sit in the Charger to show off how great that Pistol Grip feels. My 10 year old nephew LOVES it.
It did look like a busy day for you guys though.

My buddy who pulled the trigger posted this on his instagram.... I don't do instagram but thought this was pretty cool..

You are doing a great job on your R/T convertible. I don't know about your area, but up here in Ontario (the snowy one), I just do not see that many '68 Coronet's of any flavour, especially R/T's. I certainly see a lot more 1969 Coronet's. I have a 1967 R/T hardtop. Keep up the good work.

he mentions acrylic enamel..... that's what you used? I like it...... any particular reason you didn't go with single stage urethane? PP1?

Last edited:
My buddy who pulled the trigger posted this on his instagram.... I don't do instagram but thought this was pretty cool..

Very cool indeed! I don't "do" Instagram either, but I do have an account there. Once in a blue moon...
Thanks for sharing this and yes, it certainly is RED!! :)

he mentions acrylic enamel..... that's what you used? I like it...... any particular reason you didn't go with single stage urethane?

I've used Acrylic Enamel on all my vintage Mopars... It was good enough for Mopar, it's good enough for me... Trust me, I've taken crap from allot of painters for using "that old junk paint"

I have had allot of cars painted with it & every one of them still looks great.... My Challenger was painted in 1995 & still looks this good.... Why use anything else?

IMG_7492_3_4.jpg

I've used Acrylic Enamel on all my vintage Mopars... It was good enough for Mopar, it's good enough for me... Trust me, I've taken crap from allot of painters for using "that old junk paint"

I have had allot of cars painted with it & every one of them still looks great.... My Challenger was painted in 1995 & still looks this good.... Why use anything else?

View attachment 1233794

I sprayed a ton of it back in the day, nothing looks better fresh out of the booth.......used to spray it over a "320 scuff", very forgiving and makes the sand scratches disappear

metallic A/E jobs are a lost art, I'll be doing one to a 63 fairlane coming up....... a clean environment is essential

That just "pops"! Looks super and I agree with Dave6T4, not many around, especially convertibles.

Keep up the good work - you're on the downhill side of the project now!

I am nowhere near a good enough painter to spray a single stage metallic and leave it. Everything that I do requires at least a little sand and buff to clean it up. The area here gets dusty and my skills are decent but not pro-level.

If I were painting a metallic I wouldn't use Acrylic Enamel... I have in the past but unless there's some strong argument pushing for AE I'd go base clear.... Solids colors AE continues to be my preference even though it hasn't been available here in California since the late 90's.... Between the VOC number & the fact it contains lead... Not California compliant...

Pffft!
Nevada, Arizona, Oregon....

Pffft!
Nevada, Arizona, Oregon....

I bought my reducer in Nevada back in 2012, the paint store where I got it was closing out all their AE stuff, their supplier at the time was based in California & wasn't going to stock AE for the Nevada stores anymore....

Hope to be color sanding soon but not yet... So I've been working on getting small parts ready.... My emblems are all NOS but I never cared for the orange/red paint Chrysler used to paint the emblems & really didn't like how it looked against the PP-1 red... So I stripped them & re-painted them... About a dozen times... I couldn't get the paint to lay down to my satisfaction, a little bubble, a little dark spot, What ever the case, I keep stepping & re-painting till I got what I wanted.... This time I'm pretty happy, still gotta run a razor blade around the chrome to remove a few bits of paint where it doesn't belong & one emblem has a minor ripple in the paint (I may strip & re-paint that one again) but over all I think they look pretty good...

Fresh outta the oven...

IMG_6732.jpg

Hope to be color sanding soon but not yet... So I've been working on getting small parts ready.... My emblems are all NOS but I never cared for the orange/red paint Chrysler used to paint the emblems & really didn't like how it looked against the PP-1 red... So I stripped them & re-painted them... About a dozen times... I couldn't get the paint to lay down to my satisfaction, a little bubble, a little dark spot, What ever the case, I keep stepping & re-painting till I got what I wanted.... This time I'm pretty happy, still gotta run a razor blade around the chrome to remove a few bits of paint where it doesn't belong & one emblem has a minor ripple in the paint (I may strip & re-paint that one again) but over all I think they look pretty good...

Fresh outta the oven...

View attachment 1256620
There's a thin line between "hobby" and "obsession" sometimes.... :)

Guilty!! Always have been.... I want it how I want it & will keep trying till I get it how I want it.... Then when it's finished I'll drive the wheels off it...

Guilty!! Always have been.... I want it how I want it & will keep trying till I get it how I want it.... Then when it's finished I'll drive the wheels off it...
Atta boy! :thumbsup:

Well, get on with it then! We are chomping at the bit to see this car completed!!! :D

Auto Transport Service
Back