• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build Thread for my 68 Coronet R/T Convertible

I thought so... Keys are in super nice shape, probably got taped to the horn within the first few months & been there ever since...

Little nuggets like that are great.
I saw this license plate frame on the Charger after I got it home. My Dad actually worked at the same dealership in the early 70s.

XH 51 A.jpg

Your car is a very close 2nd to my '68 Charger fetish. Looking forward to seeing it done!
Dan

I bought my 68 Coronet 500 vert because they never made a 68 Charger vert. Since owning it I’ve met a number of people who said the same.

I think the 67 I was restoring may have been the same color, it was like dark blood.
http://cyberwerks.net/cars/1967_coronet/1988/Page1.html

One tip I learned back then for very small parts was to use high temp enamel paint, bake in the oven at 350 for about 1/2 hour, turn off, open door and let parts cool down naturally.
I used wire to hang parts from the top rack. It is like the baked enamel on appliances, very tough.
When it came to threaded parts like bolts, I threaded them into cardboard hiding the threads, painted them, then hung in the oven to bake. When installing the socket barely showed a mark. Off course it was all hand tightened with a torque wrench, no power tools.

I thought so... Keys are in super nice shape, probably got taped to the horn within the first few months & been there ever since...

The R/T in PP1 is looking fantastic!

I have a similar WS27L8G car to yours, same color PP1, but with white interior and black conv top.

Same 911 build date too. STL car with auto on column, buddy seat, no console or rally dash unfortunately but it’s still pretty cool. I’ve been seriously thinking of converting to 4 speed though.

We chatted a little on email many years ago about our cars. Glad you are getting it done. Mine is still waiting but I’m back to thinking and dreaming again :).

In the meantime I’m following yours though haha.

Keep up the great work and updates!

The R/T in PP1 is looking fantastic!

I have a similar WS27L8G car to yours, same color PP1, but with white interior and black conv top.

Same 911 build date too. STL car with auto on column, buddy seat, no console or rally dash unfortunately but it’s still pretty cool. I’ve been seriously thinking of converting to 4 speed though.

We chatted a little on email many years ago about our cars. Glad you are getting it done. Mine is still waiting but I’m back to thinking and dreaming again :).

In the meantime I’m following yours though haha.

Keep up the great work and updates!
Hey Tallhair, I know you contemplated selling it a few years ago. I am glad you didn't. Keep dreaming and hopefully you will get it back on the road one day.

How’s your car coming along?

Unfortunately kinda stalled again/still.... When we started to cut & buff the paint it was discovered that very little paint got sprayed on the RF fender ahead of the marker light.... About three swipes with 1200 grit & the paint is transparent.... I have extra paint from the original batch so tried spotting the area in... It's not the same... I'm gonna wind up repainting the whole car.... Hope to get something done again soon....

I think we must be related. We share the same curses. I look forward to seeing it move forward once again.

I think we must be related. We share the same curses. I look forward to seeing it move forward once again.
It's called Murphy's law. Murphy is alive and well and is everywhere. He regularly "assists" with my projects as well! :BangHead:

I wanted to ask about the car when you were at my place..... but with the other guys there, I thought IF it was a sore subject, it might annoy or embarrass you. I didn't want to risk that.
Then I forgot about the project until yesterday. For some odd reason, I thought about it on the way home from work. It isn't as if I saw one on the road....just a random thought while commuting.

I wanted to ask about the car when you were at my place..... but with the other guys there, I thought IF it was a sore subject, it might annoy or embarrass you. I didn't want to risk that.

No biggie.. It takes me a long time to get stuff done these days, everyone is getting older & it's harder to get motivated... I still try to attain a high quality standard but that just makes it harder to make any progress..

I wanted to spend more time checking out your cars & your place but.. Coulda been an all day thing but Frank had other stuff going on & I didn't want to burn your whole day either...

Auto Transport Service
Back