• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build Thread for my 68 Coronet R/T Convertible

Yup... Happy Birthday... At least it’s closer to getting back on the road than it’s been for the past 30 plus years...

very cool car, love the 68 coronets, especially a vert.

739EBF22-7B7A-4BA5-82D6-5CE0B9919F00.jpeg
E466EB1F-1719-4A4E-B66E-3D43ED3F63F3.jpeg
DDCB1387-DCE1-461A-84C4-664CF75CD514.jpeg
Well Last week I spent a couple days sanding the bottom of the car and yesterday morning I sprayed it... Once again proving I’m not good enough to actually paint the car but since I’m replicating Dip Primer a few runs (ok allot of runs) are fine....

If we really get color on it this year there’s hope that I’ll actually get to finish the car...

I can tell you that once it’s painted I plan to put it away again for a little while...

Since I seem to have a painter who can and will pull the trigger I’m going to get color on my other project before getting started building this one...

Shouldn’t take long, the other car hasn’t been touched since the body work was finished...
So it should only require a quick lap around the car with 500 grit and then paint..

Just read your thread. Great story and car. Looking forward to following your progress & seeing it come together.....Jim

Just read your thread. Great story and car. Looking forward to following your progress & seeing it come together.....Jim

Thanks! After all these years I'm starting to get excited again....

But as has been typical with this project, one step forward & one step back...

Yesterday the doors were sprayed, since I didn't want to chance anything getting in the fresh paint I rolled down the door & went home...

Today I walked in to see one of the last flies of the year had landed in the fresh paint... Did he land in the jamb area? No.. The bottom area? Nope!! How about the area the the big Coronet R/T badge will hide?? Not a chance! Right smack dab in the middle of the most exposed area....

So today I re-sanded the inside of the door & re-sprayed it.... And before I rolled to door down another fly landed in the fresh paint about 1.5" away from where I had sanded his buddy out.....

I should be having a drink about now but I'm gonna settle for a Pepsi...

Well, it's Sunday & I tried again... Third time is the charm... Paint laid down beautifully, went I left the shop it looked pretty clean & I stuck around long enough that it had dried to the touch so no flies should be waiting for me tomorrow... Next up trunk & engine compartment.... Moving forward.....

Great job on the resto. Not everyone likes poison but a good flea bomb does wonders for insect removal. :eek:

Thanks! After all these years I'm starting to get excited again....

But as has been typical with this project, one step forward & one step back...

Yesterday the doors were sprayed, since I didn't want to chance anything getting in the fresh paint I rolled down the door & went home...

Today I walked in to see one of the last flies of the year had landed in the fresh paint... Did he land in the jamb area? No.. The bottom area? Nope!! How about the area the the big Coronet R/T badge will hide?? Not a chance! Right smack dab in the middle of the most exposed area....

So today I re-sanded the inside of the door & re-sprayed it.... And before I rolled to door down another fly landed in the fresh paint about 1.5" away from where I had sanded his buddy out.....

I should be having a drink about now but I'm gonna settle for a Pepsi...
It's **** like this that drives me not to paint. I suck at it, and like you claimed, good (or bad) enough to mimic crappy OE painting of undercarriage and undercoating. God forbid I try to paint something like the body of a car - that's where I turn to my buddy @eldubb440 !

Well I was at the shop this morning at 8am getting ready.... Painter showed up at 10 & got to work... First in spite of all my cleaning he wanted to hit it with wax & grease remover then a tack rag.... Can't say I blame him, it's what a painter does.. But he did say afterwards that it wasn't needed, I had the car very clean....

First a tack coat & wait... Then the first wet coat & wait.... Second wet coat & more waiting.... Final coat laid down beautifully... Looks like we be making progress......

When the third coat went down Larry cleaned his gun & I cleaned up the shop a little then rolled the door down & left.... I'll go back after about six hours to shoot some pictures & un-tape the car.....

No pictures till later today.... But I gotta say the car is gonna be Ridiculously Red.... I've never been much of a red fan but at least it's a much deeper blood red

Cool! Sounds like nice progress - I look forward to some pictures

I'll have better photos tomorrow, I went down this afternoon planning to un-tape it & roll it outside for pictures but while I could have un taped it I decided it was still to fresh & I'll do it tomorrow... So I shot these two photos & locked up the shop...
IMG_4497.JPG
IMG_4498.JPG

Progress is looking great. I had to chuckle a bit at the fly landing in the worst possible spot in the fresh paint though. You and I have EXACTLY the same luck. I don't hardly even fret over such things anymore, its just common occurrence with me. Redo and move on...

I'll have better photos tomorrow, I went down this afternoon planning to un-tape it & roll it outside for pictures but while I could have un taped it I decided it was still to fresh & I'll do it tomorrow... So I shot these two photos & locked up the shop...View attachment 856473View attachment 856474

Well. I went down & un-taped the car, wiped it down with adhesive remover then wax & grease remover...

I was hoping to put the car out in the sun to help cure the paint & take some shots in the bright sunlight but the winds are blowing 20+ MPH theres all sorts of dirt & debris blowing around so I left the car inside...
Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice sunny day with minimal wind so if the weather reports are accurate I'll get better photos tomorrow...

Well I've been getting things ready for painting the car this weekend, got the trailer lined up, got the trailer ramps modified to work with my little wheels... Got the trailer wiring on the trailer & my truck all sorted out...

Been masking the car for two days, the bottom, the interior, the engine & trunk....

Stuff all takes time & I don't get it done as quick as when I was 30...

So this afternoon I stopped by the bodyshop that rents the booth to confirm the booth is available, I'd already stopped by last week to reserve it... Unfortunately they got a big project it with a short time line so now I'm delayed for a week...

So as much as I didn't want to I went back to the shop & un-masked the areas where the paint is fresh so they can breath & continue to cure for another week... I was concerned that if I left the tape on it might leave visible impressions in the paint...

Luckily most of what I had taped was not an issue, I've held off on masking the areas that are really fresh...

It's just another week, after all these years it really doesn't matter.. But it's sure frustrating..

So next week I get to spend time washing out the paint booth from top to bottom before the car goes in...

Sounds frustrating, but it also sounds like you are doing the right thing that will ultimately lead to a great result. You'll later forget about the time re-masking, but you wouldn't forget if you left marks in the fresh paint!

Auto Transport Service
Back