• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bullitt Charger R/T revisited!

These two Chargers,a 68 Charger R/T and a 69 non R/T Charger were both destroyed while filming the final scene of the 1974 movie Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. It took two attempts running the car into the train to get the shot. The first attempt with the 68 Charger R/T the explosives failed to detonate upon impact with the train,so the next day the 69 Charger was wired up to explode on impact and did just that.

dmlc.jpg

R (9).jpg

Last edited:
According to one of the stunt men on the Dukes of hazzard he kept count of the Chargers that were destroyed while filming the show. He said he counted 329 Chargers that were destroyed doing stunts for the show. Atleast another dozen were wrecked on the reunion movies,and ten more in the Duckes of Hazzard movie from 2005.

tumblr_nlqlskBovt1qc2alio1_1280 (1).jpg

A98E4401-E5D1-42A4-8BC1-3645A943308D.jpeg

df90775ea593129aa4a7ff0ade11678f.jpg

tumblr_m5j2gzD6Cu1qflydqo1_1280 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

Several more Chargers were wrecked at Dukefest type events. This one was a matching numbers 69 Charger R/T SE 440 Magnum 4 speed car that a company called Hardcore racing jumped and destroyed doing their own Dukes of Hazzard wannabe jump. Hans Leduke ended up with the destroyed wreck.

IMG999000777.jpg

People even used Chargers in demolition derbys trying to emulate the Dukes of Hazzard Charger.

7i57_4.jpg

7i57_3.jpg

This 69 Hemi Charger was destroyed during factory crash testing,before,and after hitting a concrete wall at more than 100 MPH,as you can obviously tell there would be no survivors,an important thing to keep in mind when exhibiting speed in your Charger! They offer very little impact protection! Especially side impact protection!

tumblr_pppjwuORPR1rsmcudo1_500.jpg

Thiis owner did not survive this direct drivers door impact with a tree while showing off!

3n23o23laZZZZZZZZZ949ccd9a3fdcff11e1d.jpg

3n43m83p5ZZZZZZZZZ94915496e752fb213cd.jpg

Chargers led a pretty hard life in Hollywood,not unlike Marylin Monroe they blazed onto the silver screen,became a superstar and died an untimely death before their time!

R (10).jpg

pdvd123.9228.jpg

robs-movie-muscle-the-baddies-1968-dodge-charger-rt-from-bullitt-2022-12-10_04-01-46_191179.jpg

3eea0f31bad8aa21fe49fa978c61f6f0.jpg

tumblr_oaheyeFM3P1qc2alio1_500.jpg

According to an interview I read in muscle car review they had brought the cars to a racetrack the day before shooting started,and they said the Charger literally ran rings around the Mustang! They said in the straightaways the stock Charger R/T would pull away from the modified Mustang like you wouldn't even believe. Max said he swapped the camshaft,intake manifold,carb and added headers to the Mustang,and just tuned the stock Charger.
I remember basically the same story in the 70s although I think it was in a Motor Trend or C&D Magazine. Basically the same thing went for the suspension too. The Mustang had to be reinforced to survive the stunts. The Charger was for the most part, right off the showroom floor.

Surprisingly the 68 Charger in the movie Christine was not destroyed,the same could not be said for about twenty 58 Plymouths.

i004868.jpg

Christine0070.jpg

This 68 Charger also survived intact in the movie Blue Velvet! The camera pans up from this grille shot and you see an image of Dennis Hopper driving this Charger looking more crazed than anyone I ever seen driving a Charger! It's intense! The movie itself is slow moving and bizzare,but the Charger scenes are worth watching.

i002069.jpg

BlueVelvet42.jpg

Last edited:
This 70 Charger took a rough landing,losing hubcaps like in Bullitt,in the movie Bad Georiga Road,while chasing a bad *** 70 Road Runner.

i001099574.jpg

i001097511.jpg

This 70 Charger R/T was wrecked in a Chase scene in the movie Polk County Pot Plane!

i001320538.jpg

You are breaking my heart with all those pictures man !!!! @chargervert
Bullitt was the first movie to destroy a second generation Charger on the big screen,the villains sinister black Charger R/T made such an impact on the audience that the Charger became the number one choice of getaway car for Hollywood!

I agree. Never a fan of the go wing or gull wing on any Mopar. Looks like an Auto Zone after thought.
That's why they are called options,you checked the boxes that you wanted to make your Charger your own. I don't own a 70 or 71 Charger that doesn't have a wing on it. I wouldn't put on on my two 69 Chargers,or my 68 Charger,because they were not available from the factory.

The opening scene in the band Hole's video Malibu! Courtny Love playing guitar on the hood of a 70 Charger!

i001321185.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back