• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bumble bees.......not the car

also had yellow jackets last year behind a shutter about 6 feet from the front door....... I called an exterminator for that one
They are the one critter on the planet I'm actually allergic to - not born that way, but rather I've been
stung enough dozen times over my life that my body can't handle their stuff anymore.

We get mega-nests of those out here sometimes, big enough for the UT entomology people to want
to come out and do their little "forensic" extraction, like archaeologists or some such.
That time, the nest was so huge it never shut down (24/7) and they would attack any animal or vehicle
that passed it on my road...
Exterminator came out loaded for bear, followed by me knocking them off his back, followed by my wife
knocking them off MY back. 45 minutes and an empty tank of pesticide later, it was done.
I got the satisfaction of watching the HUGE queen abandon ship out a back entrance, covered in white
Savin dust like a powdered donut as she flew off. Bug guy said "she's dead, she just don't know it yet".

A week later, I get a call from UT wanting to come out and excavate - apparently the bug folks called
them and reported what we had done.
When a couple hours of their labor produced an intact nest from the ground, it was HUGE - think a football
shaped thing almost as wide as their pickups' tailgate!
They said probably 25k yellow jackets, maybe more - "the largest in this part of the state ever".
Gee, lucky me eh?

Yellow jackets are ******** with stingers.

They are the one critter on the planet I'm actually allergic to - not born that way, but rather I've been
stung enough dozen times over my life that my body can't handle their stuff anymore.

We get mega-nests of those out here sometimes, big enough for the UT entomology people to want
to come out and do their little "forensic" extraction, like archaeologists or some such.
That time, the nest was so huge it never shut down (24/7) and they would attack any animal or vehicle
that passed it on my road...
Exterminator came out loaded for bear, followed by me knocking them off his back, followed by my wife
knocking them off MY back. 45 minutes and an empty tank of pesticide later, it was done.
I got the satisfaction of watching the HUGE queen abandon ship out a back entrance, covered in white
Savin dust like a powdered donut as she flew off. Bug guy said "she's dead, she just don't know it yet".

A week later, I get a call from UT wanting to come out and excavate - apparently the bug folks called
them and reported what we had done.
When a couple hours of their labor produced an intact nest from the ground, it was HUGE - think a football
shaped thing almost as wide as their pickups' tailgate!
They said probably 25k yellow jackets, maybe more - "the largest in this part of the state ever".
Gee, lucky me eh?

Yellow jackets are ******** with stingers.

the dust wiped out the yellow jackets immediately........ these freakin bumble bees are some tough mofos

bee.jpg

I've used brake clean on this before. Honestly, I thought I invented using brake clean on wasps' nests.

the dust wiped out the yellow jackets immediately........ these freakin bumble bees are some tough mofos
The carpenter versions sure are - but they're mano v mano fights vs. what you got.
My preferred weapon with them is a badminton racket...

I had a huge bumble bee nest in my back yard under a yard debris lid last summer. My huskies and Dalmatian are smart enough not to mess with them. I left them alone and they move away after a few months.

Yeah, the bald faced hornets are plentiful here - those stereotypical paper hives a hangin' off stuff....
They're the kind that out of the blue will fly full speed right into your forehead; it feels like someone
just chucked a rock at you.
That happens to me sometimes when I'm on the tractor, mowing - WHAP!
BFH saying "hey there buddy, do I have your attention now?"
First thing I think of is "ok, where's the damn nest?"

We have those orange, big ol' paper wasps too - they're actually hornets that like nesting in the ground.
Out here, they typically set up shop in the riprap behind the house or down the drive.
If you're paying attention, there's usually a big one or two hanging out on a rock at the entrance to the
nest, standing guard - and they HATE the vibrations of the tractor as I pass by.
They'll leave you be once you get a distance away (and haven't antagonized them).
Those BFH's though? They'll chase your *** to the end of the planet if riled up.

I was working on a flipper house that bees got into through the eaves. I had no idea they were there until I was replacing the sliding glass door and leaned against the top of the dining room wall next to the slider. My hand broke through the sheetrock and the wall exploded with bees. It turned out that they occupied the entire space between 2 studs from floor to ceiling and ate off all the gypsum from the wallboard leaving only the paper skin that was - paper thin. I got stung a few times but it still wasn't as bad as the time I got 'stung' on the adam's apple by a live 110v dishwasher wire.

I'm in the Better Living Through Chemistry camp. Nuke the bastards hard and often!
Lmao, at the dish washer wire.
I got zapped on top of my head wiring ceiling can lights.

Lmao, at the dish washer wire.
I got zapped on top of my head wiring ceiling can lights.
Yeah, I've been zapped several times, usually on the hands. I really don't like it but it seems to entertain anyone around to see it. There was something about those two conductors landing perfectly on my adam's apple that set me off. I started out in the kitchen (obviously) and when I quit dancing I was in the middle of the street out front of the house. :cursin: No witnesses.

Ed electrical story:
When it came time to hook up the panel in my garage to existing service, I decided not to wait on
the power company to come on Monday to pull the meter for me...
Sunday, I headed out to the main disconnect box at the side of the house, where I was to install
a new 100amp breaker for the garage feed. Of course, the box was hot to the pole at 220V.

Of course, the box was an old Siemens, meaning the connection points are sort of behind the breaker,
as opposed to the sides and the leads from the pole came up through the bottom of the box, since I
had opted to run service underground from pole to house.
My dad was still alive then and was convinced he'd best come watch over my work - and he was also
convinced I was gonna kill myself doing such stupid ****, so he sat down in a lawn chair, a 2x4 in his hand
ready to knock me off live wires when it happened.
Thanks for that vote of confidence there Pop. :)

Well...
110VAC made my elbow wiggle like hell - several times.
220V though? I felt that in my damn SOUL....right in the chest.
Fortunately, it also knocked me back off the box the three (!) times I oopsed with it - and three times I
got back up and went right back after it again, each time more pissed off than before.
After a while, I could hear Pop chuckling a bit even. As my wife would keep after me to "quit before I
killed myself", Pop would just tell her "he ain't gonna quit until he gets it or it gets him...
He comes by that honest."
I was damn lucky that it didn't grab me and hold on and fry me where I stood; Pop's 2x4 wasn't needed,
however.
Pop got up to go home and shook his head: "damndest thing I ever saw" as he climbed in his pickup.

I really miss him. A lot.

My dad ... was convinced he'd best come watch over my work - and he was also
convinced I was gonna kill myself ...
I could hear Pop chuckling ...
"he ain't gonna quit until he gets it or it gets him...
Pop got up to go home and shook his head: "damndest thing I ever saw" as he climbed in his pickup...

Not once but thrice you oopsed?

Sorry Ed, I'm with Pop on this one :poke:

Auto Transport Service
Back