• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bumpers: Rechome or Buy?

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
Since Carlisle is coming up in just a few days, I wanted to get your thoughts on bumpers.

I have a 1970 Road Runner that is undergoing restoration. My original bumpers are good cores, but need a few minor dent repairs and certainly need re-chroming.

I have three choices:
1) Re-chrome my existing bumpers. Not sure what it costs to get them re-chromed, but I am guessing it is in the $800-$1000 range each (am I wrong??).
2) Buy reproduction bumpers from a place like AMD. They are $400 each.
3) Buy re-chromed bumpers from a Carlisle vendor like the Bumper Boyz or similar vendor.

While having my originals perfectly re-chromed is probably the best, it is the most time consuming and expensive option. I have heard a lot of negative stuff said about the Bumper Boyz, but I honestly don't have any first hand experience with any of their bumpers. I also haven't seen the quality of the bumpers or chroming on the AMD reproductions.

I would appreciate thoughts, experiences and suggestions from folks on the board.

As always, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge from all you guys - thanks in advance!

Hawk

I rechrome all originals ,,, they will fit perfectly and the aftermarket overseas chroming process doesn't last long.......

We got the AMD and are very, very, very happy with the results. There were a couple of hundred bucks less than rechroming. I think AMD fit perfect, we didn't have a problem on the '69 Belvedere.

I have never personally delt with them, but i have never heard anything good about the Bumper Boyz.
I got both bumpers for mine from Jeff @ 521, no cores needed. They look fantastic, and were under $800 for the pair.

Last edited:
Jeff @ 521? Info please.

Jeff Brown is at http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=home

Good man to deal with as I and many members have bought a number of items from him.

- - - Updated - - -

I have bought several re-chromed original bumpers from Tri-City Plating and was always pleased with the results.

http://tricityplating.com/

I'd either buy from Tri-City, have my originals replated or go wtih AMD aftermarket. Avoid BumperBoyz like the plague.

Thanks for the responses so far. Seems like the Bumper Boyz continue to get a bad rap, so I will strike them from my list. Finding GOOD chroming places is getting harder and harder, but I certainly like the idea of putting my original bumpers back on - I know they fit.

Having said that, maybe the AMD bumpers deserve a second look... Anybody else have experience with them? How is the chrome?

Another thing on Tri-City :

They attend Carlisle and you can exchange your original bumper for a re-plated original bumper (so you know the fit will be the same) and save the shipping both ways. The plus side is you can inspect their bumper first and if you don't like it, don't take it. Or you can leave your original with them at the show and save the shipping at least one way.

And they come with a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car.

hi I've restored many cars over the past 40+ yrs. the best chrome shop that I've used is Cambridge custom chrome in Cambridge ONT. CA. they have a web site. email photos to them and they will quote you. if you like the price ship the cores to an address in Buffalo NY. they take over the boarder and return them to that same address. I have done complete chrome for a 66 Mustang, a 53 Chevy 210 sta. wagon and a 48 dodge 4 dr. custom sedan. that took a 2nd. at an AACA show. triple plate , straighten parts inc. s. s. mldgs. you can also try the bumper shop 800-831-4421 I just picked up fr.& rear bumpers from them at the Pate swap meet in TX. they look good they go on my 65 satellite

I used Ogden Chrome for my original RR bumpers. They did a great job on mine. And they paid for all the shipping. I think their prices raised right around the time mine were getting done, so I am not sure what the new prices are. When I got mine done, the front and back set were under $1k for both total, actually I think in the $800 range total. They took out all the dents and other imperfections and came back looking better than new. My Dad was so impressed with them also that he has told me he is going to start using them for his restorations also. Another big plus for me was that they gave military discount.

Last edited:
I have AMD bumpers on mine. They fit just like the originals, and look great. Now, my car isn't a 100 point concours car, but the bumpers really look great.

I've used Advance Plating and they did a terrific job on my bumper guards. The chrome is very deep looking and he was hundreds less than Paul's. Will use them again for my mirrors.

Another thing on Tri-City :

They attend Carlisle and you can exchange your original bumper for a re-plated original bumper (so you know the fit will be the same) and save the shipping both ways. The plus side is you can inspect their bumper first and if you don't like it, don't take it. Or you can leave your original with them at the show and save the shipping at least one way.

And they come with a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car.

^^^I think this is your best option....

I have bumper boyz plating on my GTX and while not awful, not great either. I will be correcting that when the car gets repainted.

Goodluck, Mark

Jeff Brown is at http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=home

Good man to deal with as I and many members have bought a number of items from him.

- - - Updated - - -

I have bought several re-chromed original bumpers from Tri-City Plating and was always pleased with the results.

http://tricityplating.com/

I'd either buy from Tri-City, have my originals replated or go wtih AMD aftermarket. Avoid BumperBoyz like the plague.

I heard about Tri-City from a Charger guy at the weekend car show in Kissimmee, FL several years ago and could not remember the name for some reason until your post. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

On the rechrome or... question, if it were me I would get a set from Tri-Cities, strip the rust from the old bumpers, light oil or paint and put them away for the future.

Thanks for all the responses. Maybe I call Tri-City and see if they have a NICE set of original 70 Road Runner bumpers that they have re-chromed. If they do, then I can bring my old ones as cores.

That certainly would be the quickest; I'll try that as my first option.

Thanks,

Hawk

So I called Tri-City today - they have a front bumper but not the back. They are bringing it to Carlisle and I will bring my cores. If the front bumper is marginal, then I may buy it outright. If it is really nice, then I might trade in my front bumper too.

I do like 318 Six Pack's idea of squirreling my original bumpers away for a rainy day. I always like having a few spares around, just in case...

Hawk

when i got my AMD bumpers from 521, they didn't need cores.

In case anyone cares:

So Tri-City brought both a front and a rear bumper for my car to Carlisle. When I looked at them, I just could not bring myself to buying them. They looked like the cores had been pretty rough, and each bumper had some issues that I found unacceptable. The front bumper had extra holes in it, and the rear bumper had a couple of subtle, but significant dents. Both had some minor issues around the edges where they were not really straight.

I ended up giving them my bumpers as cores and asked them to do the right job with them. I made it clear that I wanted "no excuses" bumpers, and if there were any issues with getting my cores to that point with the cost allotted ($400 each) to call me so we could work it out.

We will see what I end up with.

In case anyone cares:

So Tri-City brought both a front and a rear bumper for my car to Carlisle. When I looked at them, I just could not bring myself to buying them. They looked like the cores had been pretty rough, and each bumper had some issues that I found unacceptable. The front bumper had extra holes in it, and the rear bumper had a couple of subtle, but significant dents. Both had some minor issues around the edges where they were not really straight.

I ended up giving them my bumpers as cores and asked them to do the right job with them. I made it clear that I wanted "no excuses" bumpers, and if there were any issues with getting my cores to that point with the cost allotted ($400 each) to call me so we could work it out.

We will see what I end up with.

You are giving me more ammunition to go custom on my Charger, smooth the bumpers and fix the dents myself, then either paint or powdercoat black.

You are giving me more ammunition to go custom on my Charger, smooth the bumpers and fix the dents myself, then either paint or powdercoat black.

I think with rechroming, it all depends on the cores. Good cores should produce good rechromed bumpers. If the cores are beat up, it takes a lot of work to make them smooth. Rechrome a turd and you get a turd...

Auto Transport Service
Back