• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Café With Self-Order Kiosks And Self-Serve Coffee Asks If You Want To Leave A Tip

As far as tipping goes, I tend to start out at 20% when being say served at a restaurant, and if it gets worse, I start lowering and reducing the 20% to a lessor amount/%. I also never increase the percentage because 20% is my tops. If I use a take out, sometimes if the coin change is not very large, I toss it into the tip jar. Otherwise, I don't tip for takeout. Now self check out? I hate using them because they now, the majority of them, won't take cash and it is card only. Many a time I prefer to use cash for many of my purchases as opposed to debit/credit. And the way at times when I am in a check out line, some employee will be milling around talking to customers and offering them a credit card for that purchase and with so and so deal. I always reply that I don't need another card and they respond that eventually they will only be the excepted tender for all transactions. Maybe it is time to just quit shopping with them and find a store with better means of checking out...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag::usflag::usflag:

Kroger by me takes cash in the self check and that's where I can feed 100 dollar bills without some human looking at it high and low to make sure it's real. Basically, Kroger is where I can launder my money and get groceries too! :D The machines are probably set up to 'notice' fake money anyways but I don't have to go to my bank to get smaller bills....

One of my top pet peeves - The growing trend of food service places asking for a tip when they did nothing but overcharge you for their products. Even worse now that prices of everything is beyond ridiculous! I very rarely leave a tip for pick up or cafes such as you've noted above. And yes they expect you to. Even worse now that prices are thru the roof they're looking for the "increased tip" amount that the high prices generate. Not me......
There's a sandwich shop here that has that screen where you can select a tip amount. Several other shops too. Apparently the humans are embarrassed to ask for a tip, as If they know they have not done anything extra to deserve one.

My part time retirement job pays me $25/hr and I put a lot of effort into doing a good job and making customers happy. So I just corelate that to how much time servers put into making my order right and doing their job properly, like I do for $25/hr. Hence less than a minute of effort and slapping a paperbag full of mass produced, unhealthy food on the counter with attitude may not garner a good response from me or a comeback for that matter.

service.jpg

For every job there's a base line of doing it adequately. Then, there's doing more than the baseline and that's where a tip should come in. NOT because you did the baseline of say, making a sandwich and putting it in a bag and handing it to me. PLUS, the TIP is usually asked for in advance nowadays as well.

The people we tip the most, and the most often are wait staff in restaurants. Then, only if they do a good job, are friendly and polite, get our order correct and don't forget us in the scrum. Some, in places that we frequent get more because we have a pseudo relationship with them. We know them and they know us as people who WILL leave a good tip if we are properly served. In my book, if you don't get one...you didn't deserve one. We usually will go to 20-25% as well. Times are tough for service employees and we can afford to be kind. We both have done service jobs too and understand they suck.

Here ya's go....

AAYKw2o.png
MoneyWise

FollowView Profile

'All of a sudden the bill comes out ... 30% to 40% higher': Here's why restaurants are suddenly serving up airline-style fees​

Lauren Bird - 2h ago
1665337490104.png

Diners around the country are noticing a sneaky trend when they go out to eat these days. Although prices on the menu have stayed the same, the overall cost at the end of the meal has suddenly spiked.
AA12LsXI.jpg

You can blame 'fee-flation' for rising prices© Monkey Business Images/Shutterstock

For John Savage, who lives in the San Franciso area, that means he and his wife are dining out far less.
“When you go out to a restaurant, you start doing mental math, you go, ‘Well, we spent $60 or $70 on food,” Savage says. “And all of a sudden the bill comes out, you know, 30% to 40% higher sometimes.”
After a closer look at his bill one night, Savage found that on top of his meal, he was being charged a 20% mandatory tip, a 5% San Francisco health care tax and an 8.625% sales tax.
He took to Twitter to vent his frustrations: “That's an extra 33% on top of your bill. Looks like I am cooking at home.”
Savage acknowledges that restaurants and other businesses have gone through tough times since the beginning of the pandemic. But rather than raise prices to account for inflation, or reduce portions through "shrink-flation," it seems like their pain is being passed on to customers in a new, sneakier way.
Welcome to the “fee-flation” economy.

Fees are here, there, everywhere​

These somewhat ambiguous fees have been cropping up on bills all over the service industry in recent months.

Romano’s Macaroni Grill added a $2 surcharge at all its locations across the country to help alleviate “macroeconomic” pressures.
Ca Va, a champagne bar in Kansas City, Missouri, is charging a 20% hospitality fee on all tabs to “ensure livable, competitive compensation for all staff.”
And Ally Restaurants in Minnesota, a chain of two restaurants and a food truck, is also charging a 3% “wellness fee” that goes toward making up benefits for staff.
From a restaurateur's perspective, the challenges are starting to add up.
Inflation is the highest it’s been in decades, hitting 9.1% in June, and food costs are one of the major drivers of that.
Meanwhile, the service industry has been hit hard by job turnover. The quit rates in leisure and hospitality have been consistently above 4.5% since the fall of 2020, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
“In Minnesota, we were forced to close down twice [during the pandemic],” says Tory Reding, president and co-owner of Ally Restaurants. “We've lost a remarkable number of people in the industry itself so that makes it even more challenging.”

Reding raised his menu prices, but he says that still didn’t cover the difference.

“Gas went from $2 a gallon to $5 a gallon, well, I can't take my menu prices up … from a $15 burger to a $30 burger,” says Reding. “That just won't fly, I mean, nobody will come in.”
“Put quite simply, you cannot raise your prices enough to cover the inflation of cost of goods, delivery of food and those things on top of what's happening with the labor market.”

Extra fees are nothing new​

Tacking on surcharges at checkout isn’t new. Airlines and hotels, among others, have been doing this for years.
“Psychologically, it's a lot easier for consumers to think about a single number as opposed to a roll up of numbers,” says Jeffrey Galak, associate professor of marketing at Carnegie Mellon University.
Galak says consumers are more likely to swallow a higher price when it comes in the form of extra charges. When a higher than anticipated price is presented to you, it can turn you off without even thinking about it.
“We're all lazy consumers … what we'll do is we'll look at the top line number, and ignore that there are these other fees maybe on the back end. And for [businesses], that works quite well, because they've already got the consumer engaged with the product,” Galak says.
By the time you’ve realized that there are these additional fees, you’re probably already committed.

“It's more advantageous to have a fee than to raise prices, because it seems like they're keeping prices relatively flat,” Galak says. “So consumers need to be hyper aware of this.”

Running the risk of alienating customers​

Of course, racking up fees can run the risk of alienating or annoying customers.
But many businesses will see losing some customers at the end of a transaction as better than putting them off at the beginning with a higher initial cost, says Galak.
“Because of all these inflationary pressures, you're seeing [businesses] trying to figure out, ‘Well, how do we navigate this?’ And a lot of it is a learning exercise,” says Galak. “We haven't seen this rate of inflation for a really long time. And so everybody's trying to figure out what to do here.”
It can be a risky move, but he adds it’s a risk most seem willing to take, though it comes with some blurred ethical lines.
“It does seem like [businesses] are perhaps taking advantage of this inflation. And instead of potentially cutting into their own profits, they do seem to be acting in a much more selfish way, which one might argue [businesses] are supposed to do,” says Galak.
“But from a societal perspective, and from a consumer perspective… boy, is that problematic.”

Being an informed consumer is getting harder​

It’s that blurriness that frustrates customers like John Savage.
“As a customer, you're kind of put into a bind,” says Savage. “You’re trying to guess how much your bill is at the end of the night. And I understand the struggle of restaurants in the past two-and-a-half, three years with COVID…. But it all gets knocked in at the end.”
Galak says there isn’t much you can do to work around this type of pricing. He does suggest making use of websites that aggregate prices. Instead of trying to book a flight through an airline, book through an aggregate site that will give you the actual price up front.
You could also check out a restaurant’s website before you go to see if there’s an added charge, or call ahead and ask the staff.
But ultimately, Galak says, being an informed consumer isn’t easy these days.
“It's getting harder and harder for consumers to be able to make informed decisions on tight budgets,” he says. “Because [businesses] are getting more and more clever with how they conceal price changes.”

For every job there's a base line of doing it adequately. Then, there's doing more than the baseline and that's where a tip should come in. NOT because you did the baseline of say, making a sandwich and putting it in a bag and handing it to me. PLUS, the TIP is usually asked for in advance nowadays as well.
Asking in advance for a tip? Dang.....hasn't happened here yet (at least not to me) and if it does, I'll just say if the food is good and your waiting my table is also good, then a tip will be had by you! Fast food joints don't get tips unless there's a tip jar and the service is good there too but haven't been a fast food joint for a couple of years now.

Here ya's go....

View attachment 1355169
MoneyWise
FollowView Profile

'All of a sudden the bill comes out ... 30% to 40% higher': Here's why restaurants are suddenly serving up airline-style fees​

Lauren Bird - 2h ago
View attachment 1355168
Diners around the country are noticing a sneaky trend when they go out to eat these days. Although prices on the menu have stayed the same, the overall cost at the end of the meal has suddenly spiked.
View attachment 1355170
You can blame 'fee-flation' for rising prices© Monkey Business Images/Shutterstock

For John Savage, who lives in the San Franciso area, that means he and his wife are dining out far less.
“When you go out to a restaurant, you start doing mental math, you go, ‘Well, we spent $60 or $70 on food,” Savage says. “And all of a sudden the bill comes out, you know, 30% to 40% higher sometimes.”
After a closer look at his bill one night, Savage found that on top of his meal, he was being charged a 20% mandatory tip, a 5% San Francisco health care tax and an 8.625% sales tax.
He took to Twitter to vent his frustrations: “That's an extra 33% on top of your bill. Looks like I am cooking at home.”
Savage acknowledges that restaurants and other businesses have gone through tough times since the beginning of the pandemic. But rather than raise prices to account for inflation, or reduce portions through "shrink-flation," it seems like their pain is being passed on to customers in a new, sneakier way.

These somewhat ambiguous fees have been cropping up on bills all over the service industry in recent months.

Romano’s Macaroni Grill added a $2 surcharge at all its locations across the country to help alleviate “macroeconomic” pressures.
Ca Va, a champagne bar in Kansas City, Missouri, is charging a 20% hospitality fee on all tabs to “ensure livable, competitive compensation for all staff.”
And Ally Restaurants in Minnesota, a chain of two restaurants and a food truck, is also charging a 3% “wellness fee” that goes toward making up benefits for staff.
Inflation is the highest it’s been in decades, hitting 9.1% in June, and food costs are one of the major drivers of that.
Meanwhile, the service industry has been hit hard by job turnover. The quit rates in leisure and hospitality have been consistently above 4.5% since the fall of 2020, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
“In Minnesota, we were forced to close down twice [during the pandemic],” says Tory Reding, president and co-owner of Ally Restaurants. “We've lost a remarkable number of people in the industry itself so that makes it even more challenging.”

Reding raised his menu prices, but he says that still didn’t cover the difference.

“Gas went from $2 a gallon to $5 a gallon, well, I can't take my menu prices up … from a $15 burger to a $30 burger,” says Reding. “That just won't fly, I mean, nobody will come in.”
“Put quite simply, you cannot raise your prices enough to cover the inflation of cost of goods, delivery of food and those things on top of what's happening with the labor market.”

Tacking on surcharges at checkout isn’t new. Airlines and hotels, among others, have been doing this for years.
“Psychologically, it's a lot easier for consumers to think about a single number as opposed to a roll up of numbers,” says Jeffrey Galak, associate professor of marketing at Carnegie Mellon University.
Galak says consumers are more likely to swallow a higher price when it comes in the form of extra charges. When a higher than anticipated price is presented to you, it can turn you off without even thinking about it.
“We're all lazy consumers … what we'll do is we'll look at the top line number, and ignore that there are these other fees maybe on the back end. And for [businesses], that works quite well, because they've already got the consumer engaged with the product,” Galak says.
By the time you’ve realized that there are these additional fees, you’re probably already committed.

“It's more advantageous to have a fee than to raise prices, because it seems like they're keeping prices relatively flat,” Galak says. “So consumers need to be hyper aware of this.”

Of course, racking up fees can run the risk of alienating or annoying customers.
But many businesses will see losing some customers at the end of a transaction as better than putting them off at the beginning with a higher initial cost, says Galak.
“Because of all these inflationary pressures, you're seeing [businesses] trying to figure out, ‘Well, how do we navigate this?’ And a lot of it is a learning exercise,” says Galak. “We haven't seen this rate of inflation for a really long time. And so everybody's trying to figure out what to do here.”
It can be a risky move, but he adds it’s a risk most seem willing to take, though it comes with some blurred ethical lines.
“It does seem like [businesses] are perhaps taking advantage of this inflation. And instead of potentially cutting into their own profits, they do seem to be acting in a much more selfish way, which one might argue [businesses] are supposed to do,” says Galak.
“But from a societal perspective, and from a consumer perspective… boy, is that problematic.”

“As a customer, you're kind of put into a bind,” says Savage. “You’re trying to guess how much your bill is at the end of the night. And I understand the struggle of restaurants in the past two-and-a-half, three years with COVID…. But it all gets knocked in at the end.”
Galak says there isn’t much you can do to work around this type of pricing. He does suggest making use of websites that aggregate prices. Instead of trying to book a flight through an airline, book through an aggregate site that will give you the actual price up front.
You could also check out a restaurant’s website before you go to see if there’s an added charge, or call ahead and ask the staff.
“It's getting harder and harder for consumers to be able to make informed decisions on tight budgets,” he says. “Because [businesses] are getting more and more clever with how they conceal price changes.”
Glad I don't fly anymore or stay in hotels/motels.......and live in CA!

Asking in advance for a tip? Dang.....hasn't happened here yet (at least not to me) and if it does, I'll just say if the food is good and your waiting my table is also good, then a tip will be had by you! Fast food joints don't get tips unless there's a tip jar and the service is good there too but haven't been a fast food joint for a couple of years now.
I meant at kiosks.

Here ya's go....

View attachment 1355169
MoneyWise
FollowView Profile

Lauren Bird - 2h ago
View attachment 1355168
View attachment 1355170

This whole thing makes me downright angry. I can tell you this SF place would have rec'd what I "owed" but they would have also gotten a full ration of my mind as well. And that would just be flat out the end of my going out to be insulted anywhere in that city.....

My wife and I have already trimmed down substantially any going out to eat adventures. We're simply not going to pay those prices and tips and now fees. Forget it. For me I don't mind in the least after being in the sales field for 35 yrs no restaraunt or meal impresses me and I'd rather a home cooked meal anyway. I could careless about eating out. But I don't want to impose that thinking on my wife. She's a hard working RN and hasn't had all that fine dining and eating out experience that I have. So I don't say anything about it - if she wants to go out for a treat we will. But even she looks at these prices now and is saying the same thing. So there you have it. We know who caused all of this mess and just pray hell rains down on them in November.

Do I hear an Amen?!

Oct 7, 2022
View attachment 1354691

ALEXANDRIA, VA — According to sources, a local self-ordering kiosk at an overpriced cafe that sells self-serve coffee just asked if you would like to add a tip to a $12 coffee order.

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO LEAVE A TIP? 15%? 20%? 25%? A CUSTOM TIP AMOUNT?" says the presumptuous screen as a worker who apparently doesn't do anything peers over at you from behind a plexiglass COVID shield.

What on earth am I tipping these people for, you think to yourself as you press the "NO TIP" button on the screen.

"NO TIP? PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR TIP OF $0.00 FOR THIS HARD-WORKING ESTABLISHMENT BY CLICKING 'CONFIRM NO TIP'," reads the kiosk as you sense the eyes of the do-nothing barista boring into your skull. "NO TIP CONFIRMED," says the screen.

As you remove your card, all activity in the cafe stops as the workers look over at you and shake their heads over how pathetically cheap you are.
You take a sip of your coffee. It's cold.
I cannot stand it that everywhere you go someone is looking for a tip.

If you hand me a drink or lunch through a drive through window, then no I do not owe anyone any tip.

If I am picking up take out, no I am not leaving a damn tip.

Just for the record, I do tip above and beyond for good service when I go out to eat or sit down at the bar.

If I were presented with the scenario you laid out my custom tip the second time I was asked would be F OFF.

This whole thing makes me downright angry. I can tell you this SF place would have rec'd what I "owed" but they would have also gotten a full ration of my mind as well. And that would just be flat out the end of my going out to be insulted anywhere in that city.....

My wife and I have already trimmed down substantially any going out to eat adventures. We're simply not going to pay those prices and tips and now fees. Forget it. For me I don't mind in the least after being in the sales field for 35 yrs no restaraunt or meal impresses me and I'd rather a home cooked meal anyway. I could careless about eating out. But I don't want to impose that thinking on my wife. She's a hard working RN and hasn't had all that fine dining and eating out experience that I have. So I don't say anything about it - if she wants to go out for a treat we will. But even she looks at these prices now and is saying the same thing. So there you have it. We know who caused all of this mess and just pray hell rains down on them in November.

Do I hear an Amen?!
Just had the exact same conversation with my wife an hour ago.

Stopped and picked up two mexican take out dinners and the total was 36 bucks. Same meals 2 or 3 years ago were 22 bucks total.

We both work so sometimes we will still eat out, but we both agreed it needs to be less often with prices out of control.

And hell yes people had better pull their heads out of their arses when they vote next week or there will not be a country left before too much longer.

I hate the self-serve checkouts at our supermarkets .....I always seem to get ripped off when the items are weighed or added. :mob:
And Home Depot as well. How the hell am I supposed to know how to ring up the loose nuts and bolts or other odd things I want to buy?

Simple solution is not to shop at these places. Ace Hardware is closer to me anyway. I have left baskets of goods and groceries at the front of Kroger and Walmart if I have to wait more than 20 minutes for someone to start checking me out.

Enough people do the same, and they will find it is much cheaper to pay someone 20 bucks and hour than to have to restock and deal with spoilage.

I tip only if warranted, very well I may add
many of my long-term relationships were servers
(Lisa was a bartender at my country club golf course bar, she served me very well)

if it's a self-serve kiosk
Oh hell no, they didn't do **** to earn a tip
they are there in place of a human :icon_fU:

nowadays
with what the help is paid, even as servers,
it's not like it was even 10 years ago
I reserve 'the right to decide', how much if any, I will tip (usually in cash too)
or just don't go at all, more so now

Just had the exact same conversation with my wife an hour ago.

Stopped and picked up two mexican take out dinners and the total was 36 bucks. Same meals 2 or 3 years ago were 22 bucks total.

We both work so sometimes we will still eat out, but we both agreed it needs to be less often with prices out of control.

And hell yes people had better pull their heads out of their arses when they vote next week or there will not be a country left before too much longer.
New Gov, New SSO and Hershel is a big part of your answer there in GA - Make it Happen!

We were at a frozen custard place in Door County in August. On the sign out front it said they were hiring at $18./hour. You order at the window, stand there, and they give it to you and you walk away. There were multiple tip jars. So, you're getting paid $18./hour to not wait on any tables or even walk more than 4 feet and you still want a tip? Huh? Not to mention how expensive it is to begin with. By that logic, I should be tipping the grocery store clerk for ringing up my groceries.

smoke-tires.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back