• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cal Trac issue?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
Just getting around to finishing the rear suspension on my 65 Belvedere and ran into a snag. It seems 65 Plymouths used a 21" front segment of the leaf spring. Well in 2012 Mancini sold me a complete Cal Trac set up with 22" front segment monoleafs and 18 1/2" links-these are supposed to work together. Calvert Racing has sold me a set of 17 1/2" links as the supplied links are too long, and they are! Does anyone here have an idea of why I should need the short links to go with the long front segmented springs? I already started shortening one of my supplied links but, it appears I may have to remove too much thread to reach the length I need. Of course, I have to eat the costs involved as I purchased this equipment 10 years ago :(
Mike

This goes back a lot of years but I recall a front segment length issue coupled with what front spring hanger to use when putting Mopar SS springs in a 65 Satellite. Seems like it was unique to that year for reasons I never understood completely. That said, you're obviously a talented enough guy to where you'll be able to modify the link as required and come out fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

This goes back a lot of years but I recall a front segment length issue coupled with what front spring hanger to use when putting Mopar SS springs in a 65 Satellite. Seems like it was unique to that year for reasons I never understood completely. That said, you're obviously a talented enough guy to where you'll be able to modify the link as required and come out fine. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks! Not worried, just like to understand all the variables.
Mike

Do you have the correct front length spring hanger for
the segment length?

I am suspicious that may possibly the issue.

For some reason I was thinking there’s around 1” difference in the wheel base between dodge and Plymouth with the dodge being longer. That could be on the later models I'm not that familiar with the early cars but if that holds true with them maybe you need a pair of dodge front spring hangers P4120080. I could be plum out in left field with this but just something to think about if you haven’t already.

I had a 64 Dodge and a 64 Plymouth Superstock cars

The wheelbase on the Plymouth was 116 AND the Dodge was 119 as
I recall = a bunch longer!
But if the Dodge was a Station Wagon it was only 116 just like the Plymouth
Go figure.
My 66 Belvedere was 116 and my 67 Coronet was 117.
The Dodges were generally a bit longer = Some years a Bunch!

Now if the 64s were an Aluminum Front
Race Hemi = They had a one inch shorter
Wheelbase.
I was the and lucky enough to own and race all
these different cars back then!

Do you have the correct front length spring hanger for
the segment length?

I am suspicious that may possibly the issue.
The hanger does not affect the situation as the link is designed for the spring front eye to the center bolt distance.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back