• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Apple

Officer Higgins

Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
Found this in California, neighbors kid has one of theses new in my town. Seen him riding it only couple of times. Outstanding design. My son in law is 24 and a video game nerd. Shows zero interest in anything real, to much effort to ride a bicycle when you can sit and play video games. Boy how times change. Good start had to polish everything to a mopar quality level of course.

20200927_124118_2.jpg 20200927_123511.jpg 20200916_183156.jpg 20200923_072109.jpg 20200916_184922.jpg

Schwinn made Apple Crate, Grape Crate and Orange Crate and more. My friend had the Orange back in the day. Loved that bike
they bring big money now.

Last edited:
I used to have a Lemon Peeler in the mid to late 70's. Near perfect condition and the Schwinn dealer gave me $50 trade in towards a 10 speed in '80.

Schwinn made Apple Crate, Grape Crate and Orange Crate and more. My friend had the Orange back in the day. Loved that bike
they bring big money now.
Depending on the year of manufacture, they also made gray ghost, pea picker, & cotton.

I had a Pea Picker when I was young. Bought it at a garage sale for 20 bucks. Rode that bike everywhere. It met its demise one Sunday afternoon heading to get sodas to drink while watching the Wonderful World of Disney. Like any normal 12 year old I was wide open. Not looking where I was going, the bike and I met the front fender of a 70 Road Runner. I was banged up but the bike was bent up bad

Here's mine, 1972 Lemon Peeler with drum brake in front and disk brake in rear.

0702201333.jpg

Damn, that brings back memories. I had one as a kid and rode that bike everywhere.

I always wanted one of those as a kid. Ended up with a knock off version from a local store. I bought a used blue one and am collecting OEM parts to restore it for my grandson.

I have had a few of those. Original ones are not cheap. Then they reproduced those as well not long ago.

Last edited:
Didn't they also make the Cherry Crate? 440'

Where da pedals?:lol:The skunk at the picnic said.
Cool bikes but I wasn't a bike guy then.

I had the Green Pea Picker, Schwinn Sting-ray
circa 1968 (?) 69-ish, maybe 1970, somewhere back then (I was a youngster)
metal flake green 5 speed with banana seat Dragster
I worked a couple of month mowing everyone in my court's lawns
9-10 lawns at $2 a lawn $18-$20 or so a week
in Concord Ca, Cobblestone Ct., to be able to buy it
I collected bottles & did little clean up jobs too,
anything to get it before summer was over
it was like $100 out the door at the Local bike shop on Clayton rd.
with the optional Ramhorn handlebars & sissy bar

could you imagine selling a "cotton picker" today :carrot:

Schwinn Bike Advert. #1.jpg

Schwinn Stingray Krate-Bike Advert. #1.png

Schwinn Stingray Krate-bike Avert. #2.jpg

Last edited:
Had a homemade Sting Ray based on a 24" frame with a 26" fat rear tire and a 24" front narrow wheel mounted to a 26" fork. Frame was black.....and never took pics of anything back then lol

I had the Green Pea Picker, Schwinn Sting-ray
circa 1968 (?) 69-ish, maybe 1970, somewhere back then (I was a youngster)
metal flake green 5 speed with banana seat Dragster
I worked a couple of month mowing everyone in my court's lawns
9-10 lawns at $2 a lawn $18-$20 or so a week
in Concord Ca, Cobblestone Ct., to be able to buy it
I collected bottles & did little clean up jobs too,
anything to get it before summer was over
it was like $100 out the door at the Local bike shop on Clayton rd.
with the optional Ramhorn handlebars & sissy bar

could you imagine selling a "cotton picker" today :carrot:

View attachment 1009819

View attachment 1009820

View attachment 1009821
I restored a 1970 cotton picker and sold it on ebay in 2003 for 1500 bucks, it's now worth double that.

Auto Transport Service
Back