• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caliper Bolts - Short vs. Long

PurpleBeeper

Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 Road Runner factory power disc brake car & I did a conversion to 1-piece rotors ('73 Road Runner I think) using '76 Duster spindles about 20 yrs. ago, so I don't remember everything I did & now I'm redoing the front brakes.

The problem I have is that it looks like I need the "short" front caliper bolts and don't know a part number or year/make/model. The calipers don't seat onto the caliper bolt shoulder properly on the "long" #H5017 caliper bolts (specified for 70 Road Runners). Here are some very rough measurements:

"Long" (wrong) = about 5" total length, about 4-3/4" length (not including bolt head) and the thick shoulder where the caliper rides on is about 1-1/2" long. (part #H5017)

"Short" (ones I'm looking for) = about 4-3/4" total length, about 4-1/2" length (not including bolt head) and the thick shoulder the caliper rides on is about 1-1/4" long.

Does anyone know what part number or year/make/model and/or where to buy a set of "short" front caliper bolts?
]
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

If you aren't able to find them (I don't see why not with the correct application), have the long ones shortened on a lathe.

If you aren't able to find them (I don't see why not with the correct application), have the long ones shortened on a lathe.

I wish I had a picture.....I don't think that would work. It's not really the overall length that is the problem, it's the fact that the "shoulder" (thick part where caliper slides) is about 1/4" longer.....so the threads are 1/4" further away from the bolt head.

You might need these pieces
002.JPG

Yeah Coronet, I think you're right. Do you know where to get them? Part # or something? I do need those for sure since mine are all beat up.

In your picture, that little "V-clip" is on the caliper bolt shoulder I'm talking about. My calipers are shifted over funny so they're not registered on that shoulder. One of my caliper bolts' shoulder sticks out far less than the other 3 and has a shoulder 1/4" shorter than the others, but I'm not sure that matters??? I'm starting to think I've got the wrong caliper brackets for my brake swap.

Bill Rolik Enterprises has them P/n 2944722-3-P Positioner. Can you take a picture of it When I was putting my Calipers back on after having them rebuilt I had a heck of a time with them This maybe silly but do you have calipers on the right sides. Let me know if you need more pictures of my caliper and mounting setup.

Well, that's a good question, but the calipers are definitely on the correct sides because the brake hoses go straight in to the rearward facing side of the calipers, so if you had them backwards, the brake hoses wouldn't fit. I know I need a picture. I'm thinking about just bolting it all back together, or at least one side, and take a picture. I might be going nuts, but something just doesn't seem right.

I have a 70 Road Runner factory power disc brake car & I did a conversion to 1-piece rotors ('73 Road Runner I think) using '76 Duster spindles about 20 yrs. ago, so I don't remember everything I did & now I'm redoing the front brakes.

The problem I have is that it looks like I need the "short" front caliper bolts and don't know a part number or year/make/model. The calipers don't seat onto the caliper bolt shoulder properly on the "long" #H5017 caliper bolts (specified for 70 Road Runners). Here are some very rough measurements:

"Long" (wrong) = about 5" total length, about 4-3/4" length (not including bolt head) and the thick shoulder where the caliper rides on is about 1-1/2" long. (part #H5017)

"Short" (ones I'm looking for) = about 4-3/4" total length, about 4-1/2" length (not including bolt head) and the thick shoulder the caliper rides on is about 1-1/4" long.

Does anyone know what part number or year/make/model and/or where to buy a set of "short" front caliper bolts?
]
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

Did you ever find the shorter bolt? I'm in the same situation now. Not sure if I should just use the longer and buy the clip positioner??? Thanks, Drew

Auto Transport Service
Back